Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry Lining question

Options
  • 08-09-2010 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,
    Dry lining external walls of house. I have been told that I need need to plan exactly where all curtain poles, blinds, pictures, mirrors etc are going and that a piece of wood will have to be attached to wall to avoid problems...
    This sounds crazy to me - is there any factual basis for this? Cant imagine having to plan each of those at this stage... Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Regardless what thickness of insulation you use, use an SDS bit to drill 75mm deeper. Then use a framefixer plug and appropriate size screw. If you get it right the first time, you've less mess. So think it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭De.Lite.Touch

Plasterboard by itself may not hold up a heavy weight using only one or two points of support - its only a half inch [12.5mm] of gypsum with a paper or foil backing after all. That's one of the drawbacks of drywall.

-- De.Lite.Touch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

enaughtp wrote: »
    Hi,
    Dry lining external walls of house. I have been told that I need need to plan exactly where all curtain poles, blinds, pictures, mirrors etc are going and that a piece of wood will have to be attached to wall to avoid problems...
    This sounds crazy to me - is there any factual basis for this? Cant imagine having to plan each of those at this stage... Thanks

Pictures and mirrors and blinds can be attached to drywall with suitable fixings (there are all sorts available in Woodies and the like). Something like a curtain rail (which carries a heavy load and which gets yanked on) would require a solid support under the plasterboard in order to prevent it tearing out over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I was recently involved in building a large commercial building, with toilet blocks. For all toilet roll holders/sinks/handryers/cisterns/dispensers, ply had to be put behind the plasterboard wall at the location where these things would be hung, so they could screw into it. They are known as "grounds", and this is done in most buildings. They would also be put in behind light switches, sockets, anywhere that plasma screens/monitors are going to be hung on the walls

The answer to your question is yes. Although it does depend on the size of what you hang. Alternatively you could just put ply behind all the boards, but that's an expensive exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Technically, this will cause cold bridging. So, as before drill a hole 73mm + the thickness of the insulation board and rawlplug it with a frame fixer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement