Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Door Steps..

Options
  • 08-09-2010 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

HI..
    Our house is complete but I need to install steps at the front and rear doors.. Can I mix these from building sand/cement or do I need coarse aggregate mixed in??
    I have both building and plastering sand but nothing coarser on site, I was hoping not to spend more money with 4-5 ton of sand here already :o

Advice appreciated

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,236 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the main access to the dwelling should be sloped to allow for access for people with disabilities....

the best way to do this, and NOT end up with a ramp is to slope the groundworks around the front door up to a 1200 sq level platform.... i find paving bricks give the best finish.... a little design here can really set a house off....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 troyh

Yea, you really need to make them up in concrete if you are going to "cast" the steps. I agree with sydthebeat that Paving bricks are a good looking alternative to concrete and pretty easy to install with a little TLC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭De.Lite.Touch

I wonder how many self builds have approaches that comply with Part M?

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1655,en.pdf

- De.lite.Touch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 everybody

OK so... lets pretend I'm Sean Fitspatrick or Sean Quinn, now that we've established that regulations don't apply to me...

If I can't get away with a sand/cement mix... Can I add stone to what I have to make a coarser mix?? what would I need to add

Out of curiosity...what would go wrong with a sand/cement mix, would it wear quickly ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 406 ✭✭FesterBeatty

If you mix sand/cement/water you'll get a weak grout, you wont get concrete. Concrete is made of sand/cement/water/aggregate. Without it you will have no aggregate interlock to bond the concrete together and the corners will spall away, the surface will crack, and in cold weather the problems will get worse...then in 5 years time you'll come back to this post, break out the step and do it again, properly! :p

As an engineer I'd also recommend that you install a sheet of A142 anti crack mesh 40mm below the finished surface - might cost you 25 quid extra!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

and when you are finished pretending you are sean fitzpatrick or sean quinn you might consider how you will comply with the building regulations and actually do that instead. Co Council enforcement officers and underemployed area planners are making themselves vey busy these days looking for things to enforce, dont be one of them!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭De.Lite.Touch

You might also check the size of the downstairs loo complies.

[I *know* its off-topic mods but he should be told about this]

De.Lite.Touch

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You might also check the size of the downstairs loo complies.

[I *know* its off-topic mods but he should be told about this]

De.Lite.Touch
    I happy to let that slide, if he wasn't aware* the access needs to comply with part M, then its worth mention the WC at this point,

*i'll ignore the pretending going on earlier,

Advertisement