Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landrover defender trailer wiring.

Options
  • 08-09-2010 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

The lights on the landrover all work fine whether its pluged into the trailer or not but I have no break lights or night lights on the trailer itself. When I indicate left or right the indicater lights flash together like hazards but a bit dim.
    They were all working fine a few weeks ago and I suspected the trailer was the problem until I pluged it into the car to make sure and every light on the trailer (break lights, night lights and indicaters ) work fine. I will have go fixing it tommorow any ideas where to look first or what is the most lightly cause of this problem?
    Thanks for any advice .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Corrosion or broken wires in the socket or bad earth between the trailer socket, the rear loom and the body is the most likely.

Depending on the age of the vehicle, the trailer socket is either connected to a plug in the loom behind the rear crossmember or on older vehicles by lucar connectors into the loom behind the LH rear lights (or worst case a PO has bodged one in with scotchloks). If you look inside the back LH corner you'll see a closure panel, remove that and you'll see the loom and it's connections and an earth point. Clean everything up and check for continuity through to the socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Thanks Sean I'll start with the socket first anyway and work back. I will post up what I find or hopefully fix tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Apart from obvious physical damage, by far the most common wiring issue with older Land-Rovers is dodgy earths.
    As Sean says, check and clean up the trailer loom's connection to the vehicle loom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Well it turned out that the socket was corroded, when I sprayed some carb cleaner into it and pluged in the trailer it worked fine. I had to cut the old socket off, apart from that it was easy enough to replace it.
    Rovi are you calling my landrover old ? she is hardly run in :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

O.A.P wrote: »
    Rovi are you calling my landrover old ? she is hardly run in :D;)
    Perish the thought :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement