Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting an EQ pedal in the effects loop for cleans?

Options
  • 08-09-2010 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Ok so I got a new Peavey 6505+ 112 combo and I use the green channel with the crunch engaged and a diy ts808 clone boosting it. The problem is my eq for the distorted tone is nooooooot good for the clean (not that cleans sound great on this anyway) and Its on the same channel so I can't EQ differently.

Ive had an Idea of using a graphic EQ in the effects loop and using that for it and also drop the volume a bit so it doesnt break up as much meaning I don't have to pedal dance and turn off the 808 aswell.

Im sure ive seen this being used somewhere before so I'm sure it'll work. Any ideas? Can anyone suggest a good EQ pedal.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

Common problem with the 6505, one reason I didn't pick one up despite the good price.

Wouldn't you have to step on 3 pedals at once to go from clean to dirty? Might want to consider putting them in a loop. An EQ up front for cleans will be more or less as effective as in the loop. You could also use the EQ as a boost outright, or use the Tubescreamer's EQ more to shape the distorted sound. Or dial up a very lightly breaking up sound on the Tubescreamer, but turn up the volume, and make sure the clean channel on the amp is set very clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

What about having the EQ first in your chain, set your amp up dirty as you like it, and have the EQ set for a volume drop. When you turn the EQ on it should clean your amp up without losing volume?

The 6505 is a pretty high gain amp so I don't know how well that'd work. Also there'll still be a volume drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

El Pr0n wrote: »
    What about having the EQ first in your chain, set your amp up dirty as you like it, and have the EQ set for a volume drop. When you turn the EQ on it should clean your amp up without losing volume?

I had thought of that but would this shape the eq well? Because its still has to go through the eq I have set up for the dirty sound?

shizz wrote: »
    I had thought of that but would this shape the eq well? Because its still has to go through the eq I have set up for the dirty sound?

Well if you had the EQ pedal bypassed it wouldn't shape the tone at all and the full whack of the guitar signal would saturate the preamp. Then when you turn the EQ on it would weaken the signal into the amp and clean it up, and you can put your appropriate EQ settings onto it that way.

So you have your distorted tone as normal, and you can equalise your cleans to as close to taste as possible.

• Advertisement

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Well if you had the EQ pedal bypassed it wouldn't shape the tone at all and the full whack of the guitar signal would saturate the preamp. Then when you turn the EQ on it would weaken the signal into the amp and clean it up, and you can put your appropriate EQ settings onto it that way.

So you have your distorted tone as normal, and you can equalise your cleans to as close to taste as possible.

Yeah ill reckon ill give this ago. So far ill I have been doing is keeping my bridge pickup volume turned down and switchin to it for cleans and turning off the crunch switch.

Any suggestions for a good EQ?

I don't know first-hand, but I know lots of people like the Boss GE-7 and the MXR ten band EQ, if I were looking for an equaliser I'd look into those. Kevin Shields has a few GE-7s on his board IIRC.

GE-7s can be noisy unless you get them modded.

Sandvich wrote: »
    GE-7s can be noisy unless you get them modded.

Im handy with mod's so shouldn't be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Generally if you put something tat changes volume in your effects loop you get huge volume fluctuations It is not something I would do.

Generally loops work best for time based effects not od, dist wah etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Maybe the eq in front of the amp or some kind of preamp with a tone you may like

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ledzepkickass

Paul Gilbert uses an e.q to do this, works well from what ive heard, hes act got a signature homebrew electronics pedal, its designed as a cut rather than a boost http://www.homebrewelectronics.com/signature.html
    And youtube his pedalboards/gear, he shows it in action!

Paul Gilbert uses an e.q to do this, works well from what ive heard, hes act got a signature homebrew electronics pedal, its designed as a cut rather than a boost http://www.homebrewelectronics.com/signature.html
    And youtube his pedalboards/gear, he shows it in action!
    Yeah Iv'e seen him use it before, think that's where I got the idea. :) I just thought I would have more control over the sound if I put the EQ pedal after the pre-amp but I understand the volume issues and such.

Only thing I can really do is give it a go :)

Advertisement