Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Nat Type 2 to Nat type 1

Options
  • 08-09-2010 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

I recently got a new router from Eircom as the one I had packed in. The last one I had was silver with two aerials (most common one I believe) and it worked great for Online gaming on the PS3.

With the old one, I went into Custom settings for network setup, and chose PPPOE using "eircom@eircom.net" and "broadband1" as username and password, and I got Nat Type 1 straight away.... but alas...

The new one they sent me is black and has one aerial. The brand name seems to be ZyXEL. I've tried the exact same process during settings as before, but it doesn't work. I've even tried all different combinations of possible usernames and passwords for eircoms PPPOE, but to no avail.

It's currently at Nat type 2, so it works fine for gaming in general, but it means I can't host or join parties. Getting a Nat type 1 would solve this I'm sure. I'm wondering does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it, and is anyone else having this problem with the new routers they're using?

Thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Egyptian wrote: »
    I recently got a new router from Eircom as the one I had packed in. The last one I had was silver with two aerials (most common one I believe) and it worked great for Online gaming on the PS3.

With the old one, I went into Custom settings for network setup, and chose PPPOE using "eircom@eircom.net" and "broadband1" as username and password, and I got Nat Type 1 straight away.... but alas...

The new one they sent me is black and has one aerial. The brand name seems to be ZyXEL. I've tried the exact same process during settings as before, but it doesn't work. I've even tried all different combinations of possible usernames and passwords for eircoms PPPOE, but to no avail.

It's currently at Nat type 2, so it works fine for gaming in general, but it means I can't host or join parties. Getting a Nat type 1 would solve this I'm sure. I'm wondering does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it, and is anyone else having this problem with the new routers they're using?

Thanks in advance

Why not buy the old style router you had, I'm sure you would be able to get it easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

NAT 2 is connected correctly - NAT 1 just means it's connected directly...

I doubt it'll make much difference if you want to host games or whatever seeing as NAT2 is connected perfectly basically...

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Egyptian

F1ngers wrote: »
    Why not buy the old style router you had, I'm sure you would be able to get it easily enough.

Eircom... easy? Hah! Good one!... Seriously though thanks for the idea, I might try that if I can't get this one to do the same job.

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    NAT 2 is connected correctly - NAT 1 just means it's connected directly...

I doubt it'll make much difference if you want to host games or whatever seeing as NAT2 is connected perfectly basically...

That's the thing, it's connected perfectly for general gaming online, but hosting or joining parties doesn't work. The same thing happened on the previous router when it had Nat type 2, and when I changed it to Nat type 1, i could join anyone no problem.

I wanna try and do the same with this new one, I'm sure it's possible.

The new one they sent me is black and has one aerial. The brand name seems to be ZyXEL.

I might be wrong, but I thought someone on here said they had probs with a Zyxel router before.
    Eircom... easy? Hah! Good one!... Seriously though thanks for the idea, I might try that if I can't get this one to do the same job.

I wanna try and do the same with this new one, I'm sure it's possible.

Most shops should have it, if not then online.

Did you try that "Keep it Carlow" method on you tube?

Are you really sure you are having problems with Nat 2?
    I'm always on Nat 2 and have no issues at all.

F1ngers wrote: »
    I might be wrong, but I thought someone on here said they had probs with a Zyxel router before.

Most shops should have it, if not then online.

Did you try that "Keep it Carlow" method on you tube?

Are you really sure you are having problems with Nat 2?
    I'm always on Nat 2 and have no issues at all.

Tried the Keep it Carlow thing... it's very similar to what I did with the old router. Didn't work.

Nat Type 2 can sometimes show up as "Open" on MW2, but at the moment it's showing "Moderate" on mine....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

if its showing moderate, means something is still blocking you, so you need to forward the right psn ports to the ps3 ip, can be done through the routers webpage, also turn the routers firewall to low or off

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

MW2 requires an additional port to most other games, TCP 3074 both External and Internal.

Thanks guys, I forwarded the ports (took a while to get round the new interface of the router, and it had to be restarted to take effect), and although it's still NAT type 2, it's giving me an "Open" message on MW2 now. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Thanks guys, I forwarded the ports (took a while to get round the new interface of the router, and it had to be restarted to take effect), and although it's still NAT type 2, it's giving me an "Open" message on MW2 now. Much appreciated.
    Well if you want to get a NAT1 connection, heres how.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xod5TQy1eBI&feature=related

Well if you want to get a NAT1 connection, heres how.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xod5TQy1eBI&feature=related

If you read the OP......
    Egyptian wrote:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

If you read the OP......
    Ahhh, stupid me. I must be all blind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Adomai

hey, I'm having the same problem but I can't find the router page.

(I'm using the Latest Eircom router aswell)

can you possibly put up a link for the page? :)

thanks a Million.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Adomai wrote: »
    hey, I'm having the same problem but I can't find the router page.

(I'm using the Latest Eircom router aswell)

can you possibly put up a link for the page? :)

thanks a Million.

Its whatever your router IP is.

Im not eircom anymore but I think the default one was http://192.1.161.252

sorry I wasnt clear.. :(
    I mean the site where you find the Ports you need to forward.

i can't find the right ports. I keep getting thrown off.

thanks again :)

Adomai wrote: »
    sorry I wasnt clear.. :(
    I mean the site where you find the Ports you need to forward.

i can't find the right ports. I keep getting thrown off.

thanks again :)

You mean: PortForward.com

hmm,
    I checked out that site and i couldnt find anything on a
    Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 (which is my model number) .

so I'm pretty stuck. :/

Hi, here are the ones I used for the ZyXEL + PS3 Modern Warfare 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭guil

Hi, here are the ones I used for the ZyXEL + PS3 Modern Warfare 2...

did ya not have to set whether they were tcp or udp
    add 443 tcp to that aswell

guil wrote: »
    did ya not have to set whether they were tcp or udp
    add 443 tcp to that aswell

Not on the ZyXEL router for some reason... 443 could well have been another I used actually. It limits the number of ports you can open to 11, so you should fill up the 11 with other numbers you may find.

I can't seem to access my router homepage at the moment to check which numbers i used for definite. Think I'll have to reset it in order to do it, and to be honest it's working the way I want it atm, so I'm not going to bother.

hey, sorry about the late reply, I tried your ports and it's still moderate :/

any chance you could get the exact ports you used? even a screenshot of the NAT page? just to see if maybe i ticked something wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement