Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Important news regarding travel to US

Options
  • 08-09-2010 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I am not sure if many of you know about this but if you are travelling to the US you will now be required to fill in the ESTA form.

I would take a look at http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/esta-usa-visa which provides info on who needs to fill in the ESTA. Basically if your travelling from one of the 36 countries participating in the visa waiving programme which includes UK and Ireland you will need to fill one in.

It was free until yesterday and they have now begun charging $14 for each application. Unfortunately I missed the deadline and had to pay $14 :(

Here is a description of what the ESTA is:

Everyone from the UK going to the USA by air or sea, even those just passing through, must fill out the Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) in advance or they'll be turned back.

ESTA is a web-based system that tells you in advance whether you're eligible to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

Essentially, its aim is to modernise the old system of filling out a green I-94W piece of paper (commonly thought of as the Visa Waiver form) on a plane into the US as, with that method, you'd only find out on arrival if US security decided you didn't fit under the VWP, based on what you put on the form and any further questions asked.

Yet now travellers know in advance whether they qualify to travel or not, so can minimise the possible loss of plane fares, hotels and more, by completing the ESTA before making bookings.

You can fill in the ESTA form using the link below:

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html

Hope this is valuable information to you guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭Kane-N-Nite

Not really new, but important to first time goers. An ESTA is valid for two years so those going next year that went this year are in the clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭bboy123

I have not travelled to the US for over 10 years so was a little shocked to see this new doc I had to fill in :o

As you said it's important for first time goers especially if your taking a family along $14 x 4 can be pretty pricey!

I'm certainly not happy they're charging for it now. That's a bit much. But $14 is small compared to the cost of everything else, so we'll have to get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭killyourtv

Charging for something that in the end never even gets used. You still end up having to fill a form in on the plane even though you filled in the ESTA online.

Yep. So true. These are the times we live in. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

killyourtv wrote: »
    Charging for something that in the end never even gets used. You still end up having to fill a form in on the plane even though you filled in the ESTA online.

Just back from New York,No more green forms to fill out, they don't give them out and they don't ask for them, just the white customs declaration form now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭brianw25

Thanks for sending on this information.

This is my first time actually travelling to the USA and had no clue about this what so ever.

So, i just fill out the form and pay online and wait for approval is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Initium

This is stupid to pay $14 for something that was free until today... All the world is going wrong and one day it will explode.

brianw25 wrote: »
    Thanks for sending on this information.

This is my first time actually travelling to the USA and had no clue about this what so ever.

So, i just fill out the form and pay online and wait for approval is it ?
    Yeah, essentially. It's a straight forward enough form. Simple questions, but you'd want your trip finalized before you do it. Only takes a few minutes.

yes brian it takes a minute or so to approve you.

Imagine how much money they are going to make out of this? I assume the US government takes the money?

I mean the ESTA only lasts 2 years so eventually the people who got it for free will eventually if travelling to the US will have to cough up $14 per person. That is ALOT of money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭brianw25

So could i fill out this form today and if so, would it be then valid until september 2012 ?

Thanks....

brianw25 wrote: »
    So could i fill out this form today and if so, would it be then valid until september 2012 ?

Thanks....

Yes it would be valid for 2 years from the day you apply. Once you enter all your details and it is approved it will give details on this

Even though it's for 2 years, I still can't help but feel I'll do it again anyway, did it for Houston, Phoenix, might as well do it for Atlanta. I'll live with the charge.

Advertisement