Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling totally useless and depressed

Options
  • 08-09-2010 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Uh, I don't know what to do. On my 5th year Summer tests I failed 3 exams higher biology, economics and pass maths. Now this year I feel totally worthless. I'm in the thick maths class for people who failed and my biology teacher said that the top 7 students are being moved to the smart class. She called me up and told me obviously I won't be considered for it, I told her i want to stay in honours, and she just said we will see how the next few weeks go. What makes me feel worse is my sister got 530 points and left a lasting impression on the school, she left in 2006 and some of the teachers still ask about her and sometimes call me her by mistake! I'm even afraid to go to the career guidance teacher because she might whip out my summer test results, plus she used to really like my sister. I feel like all the teachers must be looking at me and wondering what went wrong. I feel like my world is crumbling down around me. I have wanted to do vet. Nursing for years but now I don't think I can. My parent's think I can still make it and I thought I could too but since going back to school I really wish the ground would open up and swallow me. I just felt like getting that out, tips would be great but i doubt there any :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭RedXIV

you're getting waaaaaay to bogged down with all this.

Ok lets be honest, WHY did you fail the tests? Did you put the work in or not?

Don't mind the sister thing as well. Some teachers will throw it in as a nasty dig but most won't as long as you look to be making an effort. The career guidance councillor is there to help you, not judge you. Now admittidly they probably will look at your scores but if you think you can pull of better marks in the Leaving then state your case and aim for the stars.

Also, you're only young once, once you leave school you'll learn there's ALWAYS a way to get into the industry you want. I realise people are saying now is the time to study but its only September. The best thing you could spend the next month learning is how to cope with stress

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

First of all i would not worry about what the teachers or anybody else thinks of you, all that you should worry about is aiming as high as you possibly can. im not sure of what you need for vet, but you probably need honers biology. At the end of the day its not the teachers decision if you do the honers biology or not, its your choice. create a study plan and stick to it, get some grinds. you do have 8 months left to the LC and you will be more than able to go over every thing you need.

be realistic with yourself, i would have loved to get 600 points but i didn't but i got enough for the course i wanted and got in. its tough to think that you have to live up to what your sister got, but at the end of the day you are not your sister and you should only be interested in what you want to get.

its a good idea to have a back up plan. there are various colleges that you can enter with only an interview and that can lead in to other collage courses. as i said you have 8 or so months so go do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

I had my freak out this time last year when I was doing my exams. It's the best time to have it because it kicks you into action. However the fact that you're so depressed is going to affect your study and you won't be fully focused if you feel this way all the time. You need to make a study plan and work your ass off. You'll feel much better in the long run and studying should get your mind off things. If your getting grinds in anything get them in Maths. Regardess of the fact you're doing pass. I did pass maths, got grinds and got an A1. My sisters both got 555 and 580. There was pressure on me to do the same. I got 480 and got what I wanted. At the end of the day as long as you get vet. nursing it doesn't matter how high your points are. What are the points for vet. nursing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Uh, I don't know what to do. On my 5th year Summer tests I failed 3 exams higher biology, economics and pass maths. Now this year I feel totally worthless. I'm in the thick maths class for people who failed and my biology teacher said that the top 7 students are being moved to the smart class. She called me up and told me obviously I won't be considered for it, I told her i want to stay in honours, and she just said we will see how the next few weeks go. What makes me feel worse is my sister got 530 points and left a lasting impression on the school, she left in 2006 and some of the teachers still ask about her and sometimes call me her by mistake! I'm even afraid to go to the career guidance teacher because she might whip out my summer test results, plus she used to really like my sister. I feel like all the teachers must be looking at me and wondering what went wrong. I feel like my world is crumbling down around me. I have wanted to do vet. Nursing for years but now I don't think I can. My parent's think I can still make it and I thought I could too but since going back to school I really wish the ground would open up and swallow me. I just felt like getting that out, tips would be great but i doubt there any :(
    You're really over-reacting :)

First off, teachers are notoriously bad with names. It's not a dig at you because of your sister, they're just being stupid :p

Also, never mind your sister. I really doubt they're still talking about her. As soon as your results come out, nobody cares about them anymore

As mentioned, ask yourself why you failed. Are you able for those subjects? Did you screw up the exam on the day?

Take that negative energy, and harness it. Give extra time to those subjects. Analyse and see if you can handle Higher Level in those subjects. Hell, ask the teacher for their opinion. If you think you're able, then tell the teacher that you're doing Higher Level, and explain that you messed up your exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Your getting too worked up about your 5th year results. It's September you've just started Leaving Cert, you have plenty of time to turn things around, relax,assess things & start working towards better grades,stressing out is the worst thing you could do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

I just felt like getting that out, tips would be great but i doubt there any :(

The best tips for this situation you have heard before and are a pain in the hole but people always say them because they work:

a) Swat, like you've never swatted before. If you have to write out the summary of a biology chapter 4-5 times to get it, that's what you have to do. Give at least 3+ of pure study on weekdays and 6-8 on weekends, it's absolutely soul destroying but it will pay off in June.

b) Focus on doing the past papers and pay attention to timing. Look at what you get wrong and make note of it. Do past papers topic by topic and do them regularly, repitition helps you learn. Don't let a day go by without doing a question from a past paper in at least 4 of your subjects.

c) It's a physically challenging year putting in all this study so give yourself the best possible chance by cutting out junk food and fizzy drinks, getting to bed by 10pm and getting 8+ hours of sleep, it's the only way your body can cope with the mental workload.

d) Play some kind of sport twice a week. It'll help you blow off steam etc. because tips a, b and c are going to really build it up.

Follow those 4 tips, impossible and unrealistic though they may sound, and you won't go far wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭EverybodyLies

What everyone else said. Make sure you give yourself time to chillax a bit as well. If you're ever feeling stressed take a few long deep breaths to calm yourself.
    You're going to have to do a lot of work, we all are! But if you do a few hours of good study every day you will be fine. :)
    Also, ignore predictions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement