Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

suggestions for a new estate

Options
  • 08-09-2010 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi, I'd like to change my car and am looking for ideas. I'm looking for an estate as i could do with extra space for sports gear, bikes, tents etc.

I'd prefer a diesel this time (did about 15k miles last year but only used it at weekends - will use new car for approx 5k more miles due to commuting). I think the milage and the immediate saving at pumps justifies the preferance for diesel)

My only other criteria is that it be comfortable, reliable and cheap to own. Not too pushed about year but would prefer 02/03 onwards. budget is about €5k to €7k but could stretch to €9 if it was something that would have a strong resale value in a 2 years time.

Ideally, I'd like to pick up good A4 avant or v50. Other estates i've considered include a6, v40, 320d, accord, mazda 6, octavia, passat, 407, saabs, focus, mondeo and even a alfa 156.

All suggestions and advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Would a V40/156 type estate be big enough? Estates really offer more in the way of versatility, but unless you pack to the roof there isn't much/any more space.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭hammer73

Anan1 wrote: »
    Estates really offer more in the way of versatility, but unless you pack to the roof there isn't much/any more space.

Thats right. I went from a passat saloon to a passat extate for that reason. I was tired of not being able to get stuff in or out of the boot when it was nearly full but with the estate its easy to get anything out with minimum fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

407 estate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭GTE

I think the Passat has the biggest boot of the VAG estates.
    The Octavia is based on the Golf I think and my Golf is meant to be slightly smaller then the Octavia but the Passat (which was parked next to my Golf when I bought it) looked very capacious!

www.parkers.co.uk or www.whatcar.something is what I found very helpful in my search for an estate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Anan1 wrote: »
    Would a V40/156 type estate be big enough? Estates really offer more in the way of versatility, but unless you pack to the roof there isn't much/any more space.
    Might be a little small for bike/bikes, depending on how lazy you are about taking off front wheels.
    I try to justify my laziness by pointing out that every time I remove and refit a front wheel, I need to re-adjust the brakes afterwards. Gets annoying with some disc brakes. One bike might be OK in a V40 with wheels on.

I can get 1 big mountain bike (front wheel off), one smaller mountainbike (both wheels on) in my Mazda at the same time with gear, or two road bikes with both wheels on. Obviously if there's only one bike then I can carry that with both wheels on. Tip - if you will regularly be transporting more than 1 bike get a big sheet of cardboard to throw between them to stop scratching etc (one of the cardboard boxes the bikes came in to the shop would be fine) It's great if you want to park the car up somewhere before/after a cycle - you don't need to worry about some scobe being able to help himself to a bike (or bits of) from a bike rack. Also your bike arrives at the location on a rainy day without being covered in road grit and dirt and all the oil gone off the chain..

I see a lot of ads for estates where either the seats don't fold to give a completely flat load area or the owner was just to lazy to fold them correctly. A bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

A4 avant is also golf size try looking for an A6 or a passat

Make sure and avoid poverty specs mind.

This should be grand big boot poke and an auto.
    http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/76/64506276.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭GTE

A4 avant is also golf size try looking for an A6 or a passat

Make sure and avoid poverty specs mind.

2.5 TDI A6 Avant in black. Oh it makes me. . . . oh my

This should be grand big boot poke and an auto.
    http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/76/64506276.html
    "Really fit car, inside and out" :confused: I know some people have an unhealthy love for VAGs, but finding it physically attractive? Dodgy... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The Opel Vectra Estate is huge inside, but not one of the prettier estates available.

The looks coupled with the poor resale values of the Vectra in general mean it's a fairly good second hand buy.

It's never going to be the most involving car to drive, but it will get you from A to B in comfort, safely and with room to spare. Not really noted for being unreliable and even if they do breakdown, Opel parts are reasonable.

Biggest problem is finding a decent diesel. Carzone has 2 diesels which are both in excess of 188,000km.

If you don't mind another Petrol - http://www.carzone.ie/search/Opel/Vectra/1.8-ESTA/201028198792298/advert?channel=CARS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Ya, I've also had a look a petrol vectra they are very big, and as ROR said fairly undesirable (ie cheap cheap).
    Mondeo's are a very big estate also, and apparently use a different suspension system to the 01- 0? saloons/liftbacks, so you avoid the rear subframe issue that they were prone to.

Rover 75 estate or MG ZT-T diesel ;)
    always forgotten, never equalled (I'm so poetic at times)

Advertisement