Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Height of a thermostat

Options
  • 08-09-2010 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

Any opinions on the height a thermostat should be installed.

I am planning to install them in line with the switches. Only details in manual is to install them at eye level.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Our stats are at eye level - our electrical switches are 6 inches or so below that - at shoulder level as such!
    Our sparky measured them and had a std that he used for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Room Stats should be mounted at a height of 1.5m from the finished floor.

That is about 300mm higher than the light switch.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wolfhound14

Hi Mike, just curious why this is the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,877 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hi Mike, just curious why this is the case?
    Optimum heat reading. Too high and it catches the warmest air in the room and similarly if its too close to the floor it will be in a cooler setting.

Just back online now...

Muffler is correct. This is considered the optimum heoght to measure your room temperature at.

This may not be the hard and fast rule for all but I have used 4 different types of stats and they all stated that the mounting height was 1.5m from the floor.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wolfhound14

OK, thanks for the info.

Do you think this is for standard ceiling height rooms?
    I'm still at an early stage of my build but I have area's with 3 different ceiling heights. 2.4m, 3.0m and 3.6m
    I wonder should all the stats be mounted at 1.5?

I would imagine that it has more to do with the average height of a person rather than the height of the room. i.e. the height that you 'sense' the heat at...

I wouldn't think that it is too critical if you wanted to move up or down 100mm for some reason or another...

Advertisement