Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC Jumps 23 places in World Rankings

Options
  • 08-09-2010 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭

see link
    Gas isn't it!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Saw that. Good stuff. I'm still waiting for the day C.I.T make an appearance in the rankings so that I can finally go ice skating with Satan. Ok, that's the inevitable C.I.T joke out of the way. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

Can we see the actual list of college/Uni according to their rankings??

No matter what, UCC are always better than CIT sh sh just incase they didnt know!!!!! :D

The Paws wrote: »
    Can we see the actual list of college/Uni according to their rankings??

No matter what, UCC are always better than CIT sh sh just incase they didnt know!!!!! :D

Link to the results are here.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2010/results

It usually had the top 500 but only has the top 200 for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Nice one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Oh cool! Nice one.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Top 2% in the world thats pretty unreal!!:-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭UnionOfV

Byron85 wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for the day C.I.T make an appearance in the rankings so that I can finally go ice skating with Satan.
    Actually CIT will NEVER appear in the rankings since it's explicitly universities only (odd I know, you wouldn't think that foreigners would consider Irish ITs and universities to be that different?)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Cuddlytroll

UnionOfV wrote: »
    Actually CIT will NEVER appear in the rankings since it's explicitly universities only (odd I know, you wouldn't think that foreigners would consider Irish ITs and universities to be that different?)
    That would explain why Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) is number 5...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

There are so many ranking schemes out there that they mean nothing at all. I personally believe this one gives way too high a rating to UK and Irish universities.

D-Generate wrote: »
    There are so many ranking schemes out there that they mean nothing at all. I personally believe this one gives way too high a rating to UK and Irish universities.

This one and the Times Higher Education one are meant to be the ranking schemes though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Nice to know, if its accurate. UCC ranked above the Sorbonne and on a par with Reading? Thats a surprise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

That's impressive, especially with all the warnings of chronic underfunding and the need for fees and all that.

I seem to remember a snotty reaction to one of these ranking lists a year or two ago, something to do with the pointlessness of them I think. Maybe it's just in my head, but the reaction seems much more positive this time around.

I'm curious though. At the end of the day, how influential are these lists? Do they affect how much funding the university can secure, or the employability of graduates? (I suppose the real question is, are the men with the money/jobs that fickle and easily impressed?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Very good news! Upwards, and onwards! :D
    (I suppose the real question is, are the men with the money/jobs that fickle and easily impressed?

I'd imagine so. How else are employers meant to evaluate the quality of someone's degree, I suppose?

Very good news! Upwards, and onwards! :D

I'd imagine so. How else are employers meant to evaluate the quality of someone's degree, I suppose?

Dunno really. I always imagined that Irish employers would have a good idea of what to expect from past (or constant) first-hand experience of dealing with graduates. But for someone in, say, New York or Sydney, with money to burn or jobs to fill; if they see an application from some stranger from this place called Cork, I've never known whether they would take the ranking of the university into account in their decision-making.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Id say our huge stash of nuclear material must have added to our improved rankings :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 kingstapler

Id say our huge stash of nuclear material must have added to our improved rankings :P

Well it does make the place pretty hightec compared to the other Irish ones!

...But for someone in, say, New York or Sydney, with money to burn or jobs to fill; if they see an application from some stranger from this place called Cork, I've never known whether they would take the ranking of the university into account in their decision-making.

According to an Irish Times article today, it makes all the difference in the world, apparently.

It said that the data was submitted in late 2009, just as the budget cuts were starting to have an effect. It'll be interesting to see if we remain in the top 2% in next years rankings. Here's hoping, seeing as how these polls have such an influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

They've cancelled a number of scholarships this year, and I think these polls take scholarships into consideration, so that's one thing...

Advertisement