Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Egg and Ham ?

Options
  • 08-09-2010 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi

Could someone please tell me what egganarm means (egg an arm?)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

ag an am - at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Crosáidí wrote: »
    ag an am - at the time

Ah brilliant C. Gaibh raibh maith agat.

What about curamakesh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

flynnboy wrote: »

What about curamakesh ?

Some context would be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

What about curamakesh ?

Chuir mé ceist/cuirfidh mé ceist?

- sounds like it could be a placename either.

Gael wrote: »
    Some context would be useful.

Ah, I'm afraid that I can't give you. I listen to RNAG a lot and these are phrases/words I that keep cropping up in conversations.

I am a very frustrated wanabe Gaeilge learner. I am in Donegal and cannot find lessons anywhere ! Every year the lessons advertised at the local Adult learning Centre are canceled because they can never get more than 2 or 3 people interested !!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

My company has worked with these guys in the past. I cant vouch for what they are like, but they are in Donegal and might be worth checking out if you want to learn Irish.

http://www.oideas-gael.com/

Hi djimi

Yeah I am well aware of them but most of their courses tend to be residential and they are not that cheap. GRMA

Jaysus, theres a Gaelthacht on your doorstep, could you try there, wot about neighbouring towns, Derry is gaining a strong Irish community at present, I'm sure you'll find something there if your close to it

go n-éirí leat

Yeah I know, it's incredible isn't it ! I can be in the Gaeltacht in 15 mins drive. Derry is too far away. I am only 10 mins from Donegal town and despite being on the doorsetp of the Gaeltacht they can't find more than 2 - 3 peope that want to learn !!!!

Yeah I know, it's incredible isn't it ! I can be in the Gaeltacht in 15 mins drive. Derry is too far away. I am only 10 mins from Donegal town and despite being on the doorsetp of the Gaeltacht they can't find more than 2 - 3 peope that want to learn !!!!

Wouldn't that be because probably those who are interested are either fluent enough already or are learning from native speakers? Or cause they are going to Oideas Gael? Or cause they are using books and cds or going to one on one classes?

I agree with you re. Oideas Gael being expensive.

But comeon there are LOADS of cheap books and cds out there to get you started. Stop being lazy. You say you want to do it, so just do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

The worst possible place to be in to learn Irish- in close proximity to a Gaeltacht- they just do'nt want to know.

Pog It

I am NOT 'lazy' and I am doing what I can. You have absolutely no knowledge of me so how can you condemn me as 'lazy'!? I have books and I have CDs - I listen to RNAG every day but you can only go so far by yourself. Surely you can understand that ?

Pog It

I am NOT 'lazy' and I am doing what I can. You have absolutely no knowledge of me so how can you condemn me as 'lazy'!? I have books and I have CDs - I listen to RNAG every day but you can only go so far by yourself. Surely you can understand that ?

Ah flynn calm down.

What books and cds are you using?

How much time a day do you spend learning?

Is there anything in particular you are finding difficult?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

I dont know what the story is in Donnegall but if you can I would suggest looking into setting up a ciorcal comhrá, Even if its just 2 or 3 meeting up, it can be very handy to have a few people just to have a chat with as gaeilge because you can practice what you have learned. If not try and get chatting to someone from the gaelthacht from time to time. It really helps me with my spoken Irish.

Go n-éirí leat.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Hey flynnboy,

If it's any help here's a short list of things to learn which will definitely boost what you can understand:

1. Learn the verb Tá in all tenses.
    2. Learn the prepositions, ag, ar, le, e.t.c.
    3. Learn how the future, present and past are formed for regular verbs.

If you do this you'll notice an increase in what you can undertand.

Also what books are you using? A bad book can be a problem, but a great book makes things much easier.

and to add to that learn the
    Verb + prepositions combos
    e.g. Tá milseáin ó Chrosáidí - Crosáidí wants sweets

Advertisement