Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic Civilisation @ UCC as a "filler" subject?

Options
  • 08-09-2010 2:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hi, I'm just wondering whether anyone has done Celtic Civilisation as a filler subject (or even as a 3 year subject) and what did you think of it? Have to have my final choices submitted today and still not 100% sure. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ELLENoco

I did celtic civ in first year and I didnt intend it to be a filler but thats how it turned out!!
    I found that some topics weren't taught very well and its a very wooly subject anyway. If you like things to be straight and factual this isnt for you! Its mainly stories from the Táin and others, only one lecturer did actual civilization.
    Its more of a study on old myths and ledgends, which may of course be for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 swish10

ELLENoco wrote: »
    I did celtic civ in first year and I didnt intend it to be a filler but thats how it turned out!!
    I found that some topics weren't taught very well and its a very wooly subject anyway. If you like things to be straight and factual this isnt for you! Its mainly stories from the Táin and others, only one lecturer did actual civilization.
    Its more of a study on old myths and ledgends, which may of course be for you!

Wooly, eh? Like a sheep? :D Sounds like it could be called Folklore+. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I did it last year as my filler and am now doing it as a joint subject for my degree :)

If doing it as a filler, don't treat it as a doss subject. There is a lot of reading to be done in it, and when May rolls around unless you've done the background reading you will fail.

Its split into three sections:
    1)The Celts, which is history
    2)Literature: This is the foretales, old celtic tales and the Táin. You will be sick of Cú Culainn by the end of the year.
    3) Religion and Mythology: Celtic Gods, old magic tales, newgrange.

I found it really interesting. The Celts class is done by Dr Catriona O Dochartaigh, a very strict lady but she's brilliant, really enthusiastic about her subject but NEVER try to leave her class early. Literature is split into two lecturers, as is Religion and Mythology.
    You have 3 inclass assessments (2 at Christmas, 1 in march) and 3 exams (90 mins each) in May.

I did it last year as my filler and am now doing it as a joint subject for my degree :)

If doing it as a filler, don't treat it as a doss subject. There is a lot of reading to be done in it, and when May rolls around unless you've done the background reading you will fail.

Its split into three sections:
    1)The Celts, which is history
    2)Literature: This is the foretales, old celtic tales and the Táin. You will be sick of Cú Culainn by the end of the year.
    3) Religion and Mythology: Celtic Gods, old magic tales, newgrange.

I found it really interesting. The Celts class is done by Dr Catriona O Dochartaigh, a very strict lady but she's brilliant, really enthusiastic about her subject but NEVER try to leave her class early. Literature is split into two lecturers, as is Religion and Mythology.
    You have 3 inclass assessments (2 at Christmas, 1 in march) and 3 exams (90 mins each) in May.

Hmmm, my travel timetable means I'd have to do a runner 10 or 15 mins before class ends but that's just once a week - because I won't be living in Cork and have a strict timetable myself :) It sounds interesting - except for the literature part, I'm not big into reading, yeah, that could be a slight problem alright when doings Arts :rolleyes: Though it might tie in well with Religions & Global Diversity which I'll also be doing. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

If timetable is same as last year, her class is on a Monday at about 2 or 3.

• Advertisement

If timetable is same as last year, her class is on a Monday at about 2 or 3.

CC is 3pm to 4pm on a Monday - however my bus home is at 4.30pm, so I'd just need to leave 5 or 10 mins early, that's all. Don't supposes the lecturer would have a major problem with that (could always explain it beforehand I guess?)

Didn't take Celtic Civilisation after all, "reorganised" my travel schedule and went with History instead, hopefully it'll be ok. Thanks for all replies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Joe Ranson

You will probly never realise how lucky you are not to be taking this subject. I cant imagine a worse "filler" subject given all the reading students are expected to do.

Joe Ranson wrote: »
    You will probly never realise how lucky you are not to be taking this subject. I cant imagine a worse "filler" subject given all the reading students are expected to do.

I know History will have a bit of reading too but at least I have more of a real interest in History more than I'd have had in CC. Don't plan on carrying History over to years 2 & 3 in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

If you have professor Marie Herbert for Celtic literature, be sure to have your Mobile phone switched off. When I was in her class, she stopped two lectures because of phones going off

• Advertisement
Advertisement