Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good all round reel for lake and pier fishing

Options
  • 08-09-2010 12:40am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Hi I am just wondering what reel to buy for using on lakes and piers. Over the years I have bought cheap reels but they don't last any length, they catch one or two four or five lb fish and its done, waste of money really:(

I need one that will withstand the salt water and a good sturdy reliable make. I am willing to spend up to eighty euro. I don't mind buying it online.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

check this real out... Shimano 6000 BaitRunner the new version....

in my opinion it is the best on the market for the money. but with all real's you need to take care of them, if you use it in the sea .. you have to wash it off with fresh water...

if you like spinning go for the 6000 and put high quality mono 8lb or 10lb on it for long distance casting in the sea... or 30lb high quality braid and use flurocarbon tippet if you dont mind casting a 20-40 yards short

i think you get two spools with it...

i use a rod made by guide for spinning (13 foot) very very light and bends like a flyrod... with this real and rod it takes the work out of spinning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqgItQVSqYw

i dont use feathers... and a big weight... EVER... as my set up is for covering large areas for bass... and sure as you can cast far out, you get to the shoal of mackerel that are just out of reach of feathers anyway.

also use it for bottom fishing from boat or land..... taken in 15 lb conger 5lb thorn back rays etc etc .. on this setup.. but using braid and 30lb fluro.. use a 30 gram kilty lure as the weight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Agree completely with the above plus one: Daiwa. Shimano and Daiwa are good brands which are made of good materials and last well.

DFF's suggestion to go for the 6000 size is spot on if it is to be used for both lake and sea.

If Shimano is difficult to get within your budget, you can look at the range made by Daiwa.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

PENN SURFMASTER 750 BEACHCASTING REEL

PN2005.850.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

my vote goes to shimano....but you might need to spend a bit more than €80 but their reels are among the best and it will last longer therefore it will be worth it in the long run....be sure to shop around.

my vote goes to shimano....but you might need to spend a bit more than €80 but their reels are among the best and it will last longer therefore it will be worth it in the long run....be sure to shop around.

you will deffo be able to pick one up for €80 as there are a few different types of Shimano 6000

some have single handles some have double some have no spare spool some have one .... pick the package that suits your budget

• Advertisement

what would be the equivalent Daiwa real to the new Shimano 6000

just curious...

always looking for better kit.....if it is...

what would be the equivalent Daiwa real to the new Shimano 6000

just curious...

always looking for better kit.....if it is...

Three sizes: Daiwa Regal Plus 3500/4000/4500 BRi.
    Not top range, there are better from Daiwa, but a worthy contender against the Shimano BT range, and the OP's budget was in my mind.

In the last couple of years the higher Daiwas have got gear quality that matches the best available out there. Their new multipliers are simply superb.
    Of course the top place changes as the makers pass each other out with new improved models.
    For fixed spool reels 25 years ago I would have only bought swedish made ABU Cardinals (still have 2 working perfectly!), from 15 years ago until recently I would only look at Shimano Baitrunners (sold my early ones for the newer ones - big mistake!), and today I would put Shimano against Daiwa equivalent when making a choice.

In the budget end we overlook both DAM and Okuma reels who have made great achievements in reasonable quality at a very reasonable cost. I couldn't recommend them because I have not used their new ones and I'm not up to date sufficiently there. But they have good alternatives for beginners.

Either the Daiwa Regal Plus 4000 BRI or the Shimano 6000BT fits requirements. Both are good for the price.

coolwings wrote: »
    Three sizes: Daiwa Regal Plus 3500/4000/4500 BRi.
    Not top range, there are better from Daiwa, but a worthy contender against the Shimano BT range, and the OP's budget was in my mind.

In the last couple of years the higher Daiwas have got gear quality that matches the best available out there. Their new multipliers are simply superb.
    Of course the top place changes as the makers pass each other out with new improved models.
    For fixed spool reels 25 years ago I would have only bought swedish made ABU Cardinals (still have 2 working perfectly!), from 15 years ago until recently I would only look at Shimano Baitrunners (sold my early ones for the newer ones - big mistake!), and today I would put Shimano against Daiwa equivalent when making a choice.

In the budget end we overlook both DAM and Okuma reels who have made great achievements in reasonable quality at a very reasonable cost. I couldn't recommend them because I have not used their new ones and I'm not up to date sufficiently there. But they have good alternatives for beginners.

Either the Daiwa Regal Plus 4000 BRI or the Shimano 6000BT fits requirements. Both are good for the price.

what is the best real on the market , in shimano 6000 class - and money no object?

There are reels in the US and Japan for silly prices. I haven't a clue what you get for that money, but it is asumed they are well made!

You can indulge your Shimano fantasies here :Dhttp://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/spinning.html

I have to say that makers with such a diverse range offered puts me right off!
    When I see such variety I know that the cosmetics and marketing guys have had too much say in the design.
    But then how many anglers can look past "the look" when choosing?

When I see such variety I know that the cosmetics and marketing guys have had too much say in the design.
    But then how many anglers can look past "the look" when choosing?

did you see the paint jobs on the Abel fly real’s - OMG - they look like Fish - put me straight off the idea of buying Able even though they are very good real’s in them self’s...

what were they thinking.... no class at all....... hhhmmmmm

they reminded me of a chav in a shiny tracksuit

take a look:

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/news/news/abel_reels.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

did you see the paint jobs on the Abel fly real’s - OMG - they look like Fish - put me straight off the idea of buying Able even though they are very good real’s in them self’s...

what were they thinking.... no class at all....... hhhmmmmm

they reminded me of a chav in a shiny tracksuit

take a look:

Ugfgh wtf?

Rycn wrote: »
    Ugfgh wtf?

yea i know ... lost for words...

but they do have some nice reals and quality to be fair

http://www.abelreels.com/pages/reels.htm

by the way sorry for going off topic... uuuuppppssss ... just like able ...

why do they not have fly fishermen design the reals...

looks like they had to much money and blew a left field ..... not that i have a problem with creativity... but come on.... i could puke on my hardy real and it would still look amazing... bit chunkier though... excuse the pun...

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

what is the best real on the market , in shimano 6000 class - and money no object?

Abu Garcia Suveran, not on the market anymore however :(

http://www.realsreels.com/reviews/suveran.htm

They pop up on ebay from time time...

stylie wrote: »
    Abu Garcia Suveran, not on the market anymore however :(

http://www.realsreels.com/reviews/suveran.htm

They pop up on ebay from time time...

love the old school stuff... reminds me of the old mitchel reals ... you could take them apart in seconds nick bits from an old one you had and whack it back together and off you go again.... in minutes.. and they last forever... still have six in full working order.. god the oldest one i have was my dads.. older than me,,, and still works...

ya cant beat the bits in an old school real...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Thanks for all the great replies.....

I wouldn't be a very pro at fishing, I started off with a line on a stick:P

I would be using alsorts of tackle, spoons, feathers, pieces of fish, alsorts of worms/eels, flies dry/wet..

If I lose some rigs at the sea (seaweeed problems :rolleyes:) I change to whats nexts best or available option..

The most thing that would be important to me, would be a good cast..

as for the abel fly reels I'm girlie and artie and I would be embarrased with one of those... very tacky:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

love the old school stuff... reminds me of the old mitchel reals ... you could take them apart in seconds nick bits from an old one you had and whack it back together and off you go again.... in minutes.. and they last forever... still have six in full working order.. god the oldest one i have was my dads.. older than me,,, and still works...

Thats actually a lovely lookin reel, seriously, on the market today and id give it a gawk.

they reminded me of a chav in a shiny tracksuit[/LEFT][/LEFT]

take a look:

god thats a thick way to paint a reel.........i would not use that even if i got it for free.....

true but the bail arm springs went in mitchells far too often.........they could be a pain in the arse.....

true but the bail arm springs went in mitchells far too often.........they could be a pain in the arse.....

yep that was a big problem if you did not oil it and wash the salt off every time you used it in the sea.....

I had the Mitchell 300, 410 and match versions. The drag was sticky and took a jolt to get it slipping, so we all would backwind when a big fish made a run, and stop when the drag took over.

• Advertisement

I had the Mitchell 300, 410 and match versions. The drag was sticky and took a jolt to get it slipping, so we all would backwind when a big fish made a run, and stop when the drag took over.

this problem happens with all reels if they are not maintained properly

Advertisement