Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Field Hockey - All Things Related

Options
  • 08-09-2010 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Ok so after trawling through the Hockey Forum I was getting tired of coming across something I was interested in only to find it was related to ice/roller hockey and figured I'd have a go at starting a field hockey thread. Not sure if there's many field hockey players on here but I reckon it's worth starting to see if it gets used.

So post away with all things related.. info, tips, tricks, and general banter :D

To get us started.. I've got some second hand goalie gear for sale of anyone is interested? All obo (Robo and Cloud 9) and in great condition :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

Hookie wrote: »
    Ok so after trawling through the Hockey Forum I was getting tired of coming across something I was interested in only to find it was related to ice/roller hockey and figured I'd have a go at starting a field hockey thread. Not sure if there's many field hockey players on here but I reckon it's worth starting to see if it gets used.

So post away with all things related.. info, tips, tricks, and general banter :D

To get us started.. I've got some second hand goalie gear for sale of anyone is interested? All obo (Robo and Cloud 9) and in great condition :)
    E]
    Was just thinking maybe we could put up a sticky similar to the the rugby and GAA forum. "So you wanna play hockey" or something similar with details of how to get involved in the game or even 'what is hockey like' as most people have no idea as they've never played it.

Not a keeper but I'd say your best bet is to put a notice up in your club where visiting teams can see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Season starts back this week, and finally have my flights and accom sorted for the EHL, can't wait.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Season starts back this week, and finally have my flights and accom sorted for the EHL, can't wait.

Are you playing EHL or supporting Frisbee? Glenanne or PW? Should be good craic, I'd say the standard of play is a whole different level compared to the Leinster League. Did you go the previous year?

I'll watch the matches online or on TV if it's shown the EHL really know how to film hockey unlike most broadcasters who only have a camera on the half way line you need to film it properly as the ball is so small and that means lots of expensive cameras and cameramen who know what they're doing. According to the BBC hockey was the third most watched sport in Athens so it's a pity there isn't more on TV. I went to the Malaysia Ireland match in UCD recently and it was great to watch live, crowd was pretty good too.

dragonkin wrote: »
    Are you playing EHL or supporting Frisbee? Glenanne or PW? Should be good craic, I'd say the standard of play is a whole different level compared to the Leinster League. Did you go the previous year?

Glenanne and supporting. Yeah I went last year when it was in Barca and the year before to Paris when we won the EuroHockey Championship. Definitely a huge step up considering we walked the one in Paris and then got hammered both times last year. We have the same team that beat us 6-1 last year in our group so will be difficult enough. Think there's about 50 or so of us going over so will be a decent crowd.

Also both our games are at 9.30am which is a real pain for getting up and getting there as the place it's in (Terrasssa) is just kind of a small town with the hockey club a good bit outside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Faddymackshyte

The womens season starts back this weekend, dying to get going again!!

• Advertisement

Did anyone see the India-Pakistan game today in the commonwealth games? It really shows the potential of the sport. Massive crowds with many left without tickets, an exciting match and front page on the BBC sport website today. I think the England-India match on Tuesday will be great as well as the Indian fans will be out in force again. Don't have the red button unfortunately but hopefully they'll show longer highlights on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chrussell2

I'm attending uni in Scotland and I play for my uni team. This season Scottish Hockey have changed the punishment for a green card, and now you receive a 2 minute suspension when you receive a green card. I think its horrible, it doesn't give players any freedom (although some could argue that players should be gentlemen/ladies and not be receiving cards!).

I have noticed that when we play our BUCS (british university championships) league they don't suspend players for green cards, and I know in England they don't use it, except in the higher divisions (national 1 and 2).

I'm curious to know if they've brought this rule in at home? If so, what you guys think about it? If not, what do you think of the possibility of it being introduced through-out the sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kebris

a 2-minute suspension for a Green card is in use in Irelend - but only (for now, anyway) in the Irish Hockey League (IHL) - along with 17 1/2 minute quarters. This is the 3rd season for the IHL - next round of matches is on the w/e of Dec 4th/5th.

As Kebris says it's used in the IHL. It's also used in the EHL and I have to say I'm a fan. Knowing that you face two minutes ont he sideline helps cut out a lot of the cynical stick tackles etc that players would usually get away with as it wouldn't warrant a yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

dragonkin wrote: »
    Was just thinking maybe we could put up a sticky similar to the the rugby and GAA forum. "So you wanna play hockey" or something similar with details of how to get involved in the game or even 'what is hockey like' as most people have no idea as they've never played it.

Great idea! Does someone want to put this post together and I'll sticky it? Or I can put it together when I get a chance either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

What's hockey like during the Summer? Want to start getting back into it, but the season is nearly over so would like to get warmed up and into the swing of things so I'll be ready for next season.

I think it really depends on the team and when they might be starting their pre-season training. I know for us that we start our training in July, but it's more than likely different for every other team.

Most clubs run social mixed hockey over the summer months. It's probably the best way to get back into the game if you haven't played recently. Where are you based? The best idea is to check your local clubs website and/or contact them. Most clubs would be delighted to have another player down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Cheers for the replies. Yeah pre-training would be cool and all, but if I was going to fully commit myself I would need to know what I was doing holidays etc. I'd rather be able to start training fully than only starting up, and then going off somewhere and missing it you know

Yeah, was considering moxed holiday, sounds appealing. Pembroke would probably be my nearest you know, is it good during the somewhere, what is it like tournaments or what?

Need a new stick too, trouble is a lot of sticks are mad expensive.

http://www.pembrokewanderers.ie/contact/

There’s the contact form for Pembroke. Maybe someone else might be able to tell you if they have a mixed tournament during the summer, but there's no harm in dropping them a message and asking for information. They have a lovely set up in Pembroke. I know that YMCA are just down the road from Pembroke.

http://www.pembrokewanderers.ie/new-members/
    They also have a bit of information on their site for new members!!!

As for a stick, Ed Sports is located in the grounds of Pembroke, so you could always go in and have a nosey about the place!!

http://www.edsports.ie/

Pembroke run mixed hockey over the summer. They divide everyone who comes down into mixed teams of 5-6 people and split the pitch into quarters giving approximately 8 teams. Numbers vary however so it depends what week you come down.
    There are no organised tournaments or teams so it doesn't require any level of commitment. Just head down and play when you feel like it.
    Ability levels are very mixed so if you haven't played in a while it's a good way to get back into the game.

Lots of clubs run very similar mixed hockey sessions but PWs facilities are very good. Railway Union and YM are also nearby but I've no idea if they run summer hockey. I expect clubs to start advertising on their websites in the next few weeks. Also check out the hook over the next few weeks to see if he has any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭PJ4

Hi all,

I'm 6 feet 2 inches in height, and looking to buy a hockey stick, can anyone recommend a good cheap one for training? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Miss Money Penny

Check out Racketworld.co.uk....bought a fab hockey stick from it last summer!!

Slazenger Phantom Platinum
    Construction - 100% Carbon Graphite, aramid composite
    Bowed for maximum power and control in compliance with current FIH regulations
    Foil vibration dampening in handle
    :)

Advertisement