Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Draught Mare Inspections 2010

Options
  • 07-09-2010 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi
    I have heard varying reports from the RID mare inspections which are going on at the moment. I was told that the mare had to measure >21cms of bone to qualify for Class 1 (along with passing all of the other criteria). However, I have been told that the judges were not the same people at all centres and while some failed almost all, at other centres they passed almost all! So I am just wondering if there were mares which measured below 21cms which were passed for Class 1??

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

As with anything that relies upon people's opinions, the results at different locations and venues will vary, especially if different judges are involved.

I'm not familiar with the RID processes at all, so unfortunately I can't help with the grading of their horses. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ADDON

The process is a disgrace.... :eek:

Horse Sport Ireland brought out "new and improved" inspection criteria, which was received with some scepticism from breeders. They suggest (why is it that everyone says they have the interest of the true Irish horse at heart??) that they wish to enhance and protect the ID, yet seem to be steering the breed down a competitive type route.

I have it on very good authority, from people who attended a number of different venues for recent mare inspections that the best of traditional ID mares were either rejected or graded as Class 2. It was common for only 6 or 7 out of 40 mares were awarded Class 1. The different inspectors also seem to favour different criteria (or do they favour different owners :rolleyes:)

Its time to give the control of the ID studbook to the Irish Draught Horse Society. Who better to protect the breed that those who know what the breed is best at? These efforts to have the ID as some sort of quasi-competition animal have weakened the breed. Look at the number of IDs at present, with long cannon bones and long backs, by a small but growing number of "popular" stallions. A well known ID breeder once said to me, "Look, the draught horse is bred to pull a plough and bring you out for a day's hunting". This sh*te about competitive showjumping is a load of nonsense". And I think he was right. Within the small number of IDs who are jumping competitively, examine their pedigree and you'll find, almost without exception, that there is a strong TB influence. That's fine, but don't try and steer the ID down that route. Leave the ID alone and allow the ID/TB cross to be the competitive animal!

The ID is best suited to work as a pleasure animal. You know the stuff, RC, hacking, hunting, etc. Forget these fixations with jumping 1.30m and getting double clear rounds. I don't ask my terrier to point out pheasant when I'm shooting, so why ask my ID to turn into a warmblood?

Back to the studbook. It's typical of this country that loads of money is spent in setting up an Oireachtas committee to examine the issue of the ID studbook and breed policy, that same committee makes a recommendation in February of this year that the Irish Draught Horse Society should be allocated the stud book, and yet the Dept are not doing so.

It could not have been more clearly stated;
    "
    I wish to inform you that the Joint Committee on Agriculture, Fisheries and Food at its meeting on 17th February 2010, decided to write to the Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Food recommending that the studbook should be allocated to the Irish Draught Horse Society Ltd, on the basis that the Society is best placed to support the preservation of the breed."

It remains to be seen how much longer it takes before someone points out that, indeed, the Emperors in HSI have no clothes, or clarity of thought concerning the Irish Draught horse. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 47 eddie12

Fully agree with you there Addon.
    The irish draught is being turned into some sort of poor mans sporthorse.
    The qualities that made it special... good bone, solid temperment, safe pleasure horse are being bred out. I actually have my doubts that the likes of King of Diamonds, sillot hill and moorpark boy would make the grade now. Of course breeding better showjumpers is needed here to compete with the warmbloods but we really should preserve the "old school" irish draught.
    Cant add more to your post. In my opinion, it is spot on.

Advertisement