Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classical Studies?

Options
  • 07-09-2010 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

I want to do another honours subject for points purpose and was thinking about this, how doable would the course be to do in one year? Seems like an interesting course! Good ro bad idea?
    Any other subject suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

A lot of people I know have done it and say it's very easy to pick up in a year. Plus if you're doing it at the institute on Friday nights you'll have an excellent teacher, Paul Bermingham, whose predictions for the exams are always spot on. In terms of the exam itself it's one of the toughest to complete in time but if you know your stuff it should be no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I did the course in one year as my eighth honour and tbh, I found it really difficult. I either did one hour or a two hour class per week, can't remember which 'cause I did the LC in '06 but yeah, thought it was hard. Something like Economics would probably be a better choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Solus01

Economics doesn't really seem my cup of tea haha, would have no interest at all in it. I would like to try classical studies but I can't find grinds in my area and going to Dublin isn't really an option, would it be possible to self learn with a good text book?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

They might have changed the course since I did it(about 5 yrs ago) but I found there was a hell of a lot to cover in two years never mind one. Its very interesting if that floats your boat but if your just picking up another course to make up the numbers I seriously wouldnt advise it. Id say its one of the harder courses because theres so much to cover and thered be more study material to help you in the other more "main-streem" courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Solus01 wrote: »
    Economics doesn't really seem my cup of tea haha, would have no interest at all in it. I would like to try classical studies but I can't find grinds in my area and going to Dublin isn't really an option, would it be possible to self learn with a good text book?

Where are you from? I didn't do Classics in Dublin.

Um, I definitely wouldn't have been able to self learn, but maybe you would. Do you do either History or Art? They'd probably be beneficial.

From what I've heard, Classics isn't an easy subject to achieve an A in so for that reason, I simply wouldn't do it. (again!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 An Fear Bocht

Most definitely a bad idea. Classical Studies is a very hard exam and the topics I studied had over 1000 pages of reading between them. You can only really thrive in Classical Studies if you are deeply interested in the subject matter and if you have the time to dedicate. I'm afraid that if you try to do an Institute on it and use shortcuts, notes, etc., then you'll find that you probably won't even pass the exam.

Classical Studies is without doubt one of the most rewarding and fascinating Leaving Cert subjects, but you have to have a very refined essay-writing style and know the syllabus inside out to really do well in it. If you only have a year to study the subject, then there are few worse choices than Classical Studies - just read the chief examiner's reports, the amount of people who take it thinking that it's an easy honour and end up crashing and burning is phenomenal! I'm not implying that the same will happen to you, but it happens to many people every year.

If it's points you're after, I'd choose one of the more straightforward subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Solus01 wrote: »

where are you based?

the classical studies course is huge and is even difficult to cover in a 2 year period. there isnt a standard text book for the subject.

Advertisement