Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAC iMovie Query

Options
  • 07-09-2010 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there

I now use iMovie mostly to edit pictures and captions to a music track.

What I want to be able to do is to carry out video only insert edits to achieve the same effect as would be acheived in a tape based editing system where the exiting video is overwritten but the timing relationship between the video and audio track is not changed.

This should be possible in a non linear editing system but I suspect it may not be possible with iMovie.

My first experience of video editing was with 2" VTRs and I have played with various Sony systems since from Umatic to 1" and Betacam so I am no spring chicken!

Ciao

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 eoc2

Hi,

What version of imovie do you have ? In imovie 09, you can do a video only edit very easily.

First of all, go to the Preferences menu under Imovie and choose 'Show Advanced Tools'.

Choose the piece of video from your Event library and drag it to the edit point in your Project. A pop-up menu will appear with a few choices. Choose 'Cutaway' and the video clip will sit over the original video but not affect the audio. You can now tweak your clip duration and edit point etc.
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Genlock

Thanks eoc2, I have been using iMovie 08 and am not the worlds fastest upgrader, however this tempts me greatly as I often want to mess with
    the video late on in the editing process without messing up the timing of cuts with respect to the music further downstream.

How do ye find 09 and did you start with it or upgrade from 08?

I briefly played with 09 in the MAC shop on a trip to Belfast and that is the extent of my experience of it so far. The camera deshake processing seems interesting as well.

Ciao

• Registered Users Posts: 42 eoc2

I am a big fan of iMovie 09. It's a great bit of software that is very user friendly ( no manual needed) as the HELP option is excellent when needed. Didn't really use the earlier versions but iMovie 09 has almost everything needed for most projects. Don't know if Apple plan a newer version soon but might be worth waiting for.

Advertisement