Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Service Stations on M1 - How much will they add per Litre compared non Motorway?

Options
  • 07-09-2010 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Today I saw that the first M1 Service Station is supposed to be opened within the next week.

What do you think how much will they add per Litre, compared to the non-Motorway stations nerby?

I regularly use the Applegreen Stations off the M1 at Balbriggan and Gormanstown, and for the last 6 or 8 weeks the price has always been 1.218. It will be interesting to see how dear the new ones will be.

I guess it will be 3 cents/per Litre, for which I will continue to get off the M1 to save the 2 Euro per filling.

How much will they add per Litre compared to other nearby Stations? 24 votes

Nothing!
    0% 0 votes
    1 -2 cent/L
    33% 8 votes
    3 - 4 cent/L
    33% 8 votes
    5 cent or more/L
    33% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

How could we know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

Nobody will know until next week, but that's why I asked "What do you think.." :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Petrol prices are different all over the place so you can't really guess but i'd say it will be in the higher end of prices anyway.

DubDani wrote: »
    that's why I asked "What do you think.."
    How much will they add per Litre compared to other nearby Stations?
    Nothing!
    1 -2 cent/L
    3 - 4 cent/L
    5 cent or more/L
    New Service Stations on M1 - How much will they add per Litre compared non Motorway?
    :rolleyes:

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Petrol prices are different all over the place so you can't really guess but i'd say it will be in the higher end of prices anyway.

It should be easy to compare, as they have 2 more Applegreen Stations within 5 miles that are both just off the M1, and they both always had identical prices in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You seem to have missed this one:
    Today I saw that the first M1 Service Station is supposed to be opened within the next week.

What do you think how much will they add per Litre, compared to the non-Motorway stations nerby?

I regularly use the Applegreen Stations off the M1 at Balbriggan and Gormanstown, and for the last 6 or 8 weeks the price has always been 1.218. It will be interesting to see how dear the new ones will be.

I guess it will be 3 cents/per Litre, for which I will continue to get off the M1 to save the 2 Euro per filling.

I reckon 3c per litre, that's a common enough price difference between stations in the same area, plus over priced services. I suspect "value for money" will be an alien concept in these places.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

No matter how much they increase the price of fuel, you can nearly be guaranteed that the prices of the food/minerals etc will be a LOT more than your local filling station.

I read on another thread that petrol prices are much higher in motorway filling stations in France. Not sure how much exactly.

I'd say it will be more than 3c. But it's hard to say it will be x amount more than normal, because you can't define what normal is. You can be sure it will be expensive though, certainly if the services in the UK are anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Did you notice that the fuel southbound is TOP, whereas the Northbound is Applegreen?

Wonder if that's anything to do with the proximity of the Applegreen just off the M1 at the Balbriggan south exit?

I reckon 3-4 cents higher than non-motorway ones, but I wouldn't be greatly surprised to see more. It's been a while since I went past a UK motorway service station, but I seem to recall the difference being more than 5p a litre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

we'll find out tomorrow, suspense is killing me

hope y'all can sleep tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It will be as expensive as they want as any car on our roads will run from one end of any motorway to the other without a refuel so the type of person requiring a refuel is open to being ripped off if they don't have their car adequately fueled before a journey.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The MD of Applegreen was on The Last Word when it was announced and he said then it would be the same price as their other stations, that they wouldn't be adding on for the motorway stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

No matter how much they increase the price of fuel, you can nearly be guaranteed that the prices of the food/minerals etc will be a LOT more than your local filling station.

I read on another thread that petrol prices are much higher in motorway filling stations in France. Not sure how much exactly.

It's usually between 10 and 20 cents per litre dearer, 10 cents cheaper than ordinary petrol stations and closer to 20 cents dearer than supermarket filling stations.
    petrols about 1.65 a litre or so there, but no road tax

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pheelay

Prices at motorway service stations in France can be 10-15c higher!
    A good price in town is about 1.30€/litre. The normal motorway price would be 1.40 - 1.45 €/litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bumpstop

I got petrol in a L'eclerc supermarket just outside Le man last week it was 1.26 E. Along the motorway just past Bordeaux it was 1.46 E a litre. So quite a difference there.

I don't think they would put it up higher as our motorways are too short and it is easy to find an exit. I was wondering will they close the applegreen off the M1 when the others open, I always thought it had an unfinished temporary look about it.

Today the first one opened, and it really seems they haven't added anything on the price of Diesel/Petrol. :eek:

Diesel was 1.218 tonight, which is the same as at the Balbriggan Applegreen earlier today.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

R.O.R wrote: »
    Did you notice that the fuel southbound is TOP, whereas the Northbound is Applegreen?

Wonder if that's anything to do with the proximity of the Applegreen just off the M1 at the Balbriggan south exit?

I reckon 3-4 cents higher than non-motorway ones, but I wouldn't be greatly surprised to see more. It's been a while since I went past a UK motorway service station, but I seem to recall the difference being more than 5p a litre.

Its not.

Car/van fuel at all 6 - Applegreen
    Truck pumps at all 6 - TOP

They're co-operating the forecourts through "Superstop".

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It's usually between 10 and 20 cents per litre dearer, 10 cents cheaper than ordinary petrol stations and closer to 20 cents dearer than supermarket filling stations.
    petrols about 1.65 a litre or so there, but no road tax

Diesel in the supermarket at perpignan 2 weeks ago €1.09.
    price on the autoroute up to €1.36 that I saw, and yet people still filling up at the motorway services......:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

MYOB wrote: »
    Its not.

Car/van fuel at all 6 - Applegreen
    Truck pumps at all 6 - TOP

They're co-operating the forecourts through "Superstop".

Ahhhh.

Just the signs (on the road and the forecourts) are TOP for Southbound and Applegreen for Northbound.

Wasn't sure whether the Northbound was open or not yesterday. Traffic was heavy around there as everyone was having a good ol gawk to see if it was open or not.

Southbound was still coned off this morning and loads of construction traffic around the buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Motorway station petrol & diesel prices in the UK are significantly higher than local stations, so I don't see why this will be any different. The station knows they have the motorist by the balls and will charge accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 trimmy

Watch out I was served day old reheated chicken sandwich in burger king on M1

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭pARTner81

I'd like to go in and check it out next time i'm heading north. But just in case I will bring my packed lunch and a jerry can full of daezel (diesel).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

trimmy wrote: »

oh my! I do hope the caviar is fresh.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

trimmy wrote: »
    In the UK?
    What has that got to do with a different retail outlet on our M1?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lemming wrote: »
    Motorway station petrol & diesel prices in the UK are significantly higher than local stations, so I don't see why this will be any different. The station knows they have the motorist by the balls and will charge accordingly.

You might not see why, but they're not different. Yet at least. The memory of where the other stations are is too fresh in the mind of drivers, I suspect; also fuel retail in Ireland is far more cut-throat price wise than the UK.

Advertisement