Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths - most complicated marking scheme in LC ?

Options
  • 06-09-2010 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I was wondering did anyone else think the PM papers have introduced a very complex marking scheme, and that it makes timings for questions in the exam very complicated?

e.g LC O Maths, paper 2.

Up to now, you would be marked out of 6 questions, 50 marks each, in 2.5 hours. So, timings are relatively simple e.g. 20 mins per question, leaving 10 mins at the start to read the paper, and 20 at the end [just one way of doing it]. Broadly speaking, it is logical to allow roughly equal time for every question, as they have equal marks.

Now, for PM, the overall scheme is as follows:

Do 9 questions, with marks as follows:

50, 25, 25, 25, 25, 25, 40, 40, 45.

Using the same logic as above, this means one might allocate the following times to the questions:

20, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 16, 16, 18.

I realise this is not an exact science, but still - I think its unfair to have students trying to give proportionate times to questions that have such variable values of marks.

I know its a maths exam but students have enough to think about.

What do you think?

Advertisement