Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clubs/ Societies

• 06-09-2010 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

Hi. Starting at LYIT next monday, was just wondering, does anyone by any chance have a list of the clubs/ societies available to students?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

The Clubs and Societies have two full promotion days on the corridors at the beginning of the teaching year. Students get a chance to meet club organisers and sign up to what ever clubs they wish.

Some of the clubs and societies include -
    Astronomy
    Athletics
    Badminton
    Basketball
    Canoeing
    Climbing
    Hurling
    Rugby
    Hill walking
    Gaelic Football (male & female)
    Soccer (male & female)
    Sub-Aqua
    Volleyball
    Kick Boxing
    Frisbee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 paulrosswhelan

irlpic wrote: »

Frisbee

Joining That 1 For Defo:p

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭-donegal-girlie

Do they cost money to join? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

No, all free and you can sign up for as many as you want.

Thats not the full list, pretty sure theres a few more than that (gaming club for example) but theres a sign up day during Freshers week anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Does anyone know what the story was with the gun club last year? There were about 8 full sheets of signatures signed up, and then no word of it afterwards.

Cruel joke to play on us :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

TPD wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the story was with the gun club last year? There were about 8 full sheets of signatures signed up, and then no word of it afterwards.

Cruel joke to play on us :P

I sooo missed that table!!! :eek:

Probably something about leal issues and letting hungover students handle firearms.... :pac:
    There are also political clubs like Fine Gael and Sinn Fein.

There's definitely a Gaming Club which is fun if ya know what you are doing unlike me :o
    Anybody can set up a club too as long as they register it and fill out some paperwork in time.

Not sure if irlpic mentioned it in his post but there is also a Motor Club and Gaisce(Presidents Award)!

Might add that the numbers for clubs are normally quite high in the first few weeks then people gradually drop off as they get lazy. They are worth sticking out though, ya make loads of new friends from different years and it's bloody fun! :D

Don't forget the gym too which is free. Then you have classes such as the following:
    50/50 Step/Aerobics
    Body Conditioning
    Spin Fit
    Circuits
    Dance (There was Salsa and Swing lessons on last year)
    Yoga
    Personal Training
    Slimming Club
    Jogging Club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Anyone know if there is a horse riding club? Or anyone willing to set one up? :D

dee o gee wrote: »
    Anyone know if there is a horse riding club? Or anyone willing to set one up? :D

You could set it up yourself :p:)

But no as far as I can tell there aint.
    Some clubs meet up every week others every few weeks like the hill walking club. They normally tried to get a big walk in every month or so I think.

Each club also gets funding think about €500 but don't quote me on that things may have changed this year.
    Would be a fun club but I'd be too afraid!

Is There a Music Club? Im Gunna Die Without My Piano:(

Is There a Music Club? Im Gunna Die Without My Piano:(

Yup think so.....or maybe that is just the Choir thingy....not sure

But there is a piano in nearly every lecture room! A lad I know use to go in and practise in the mornings before classes started.

There is an African Society and Christian Club too.

• Advertisement

ToniTuddle wrote: »

But there is a piano in nearly every lecture room!

WooooHoooo:D Ty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Anyone know if there is a film club?

Anyone know if there is a film club?

Yup, there is. I think they show a few films once every week or fortnight in a lecture hall, but I've never been so I'm not sure.

You could set it up yourself :p:)

But no as far as I can tell there aint.
    Some clubs meet up every week others every few weeks like the hill walking club. They normally tried to get a big walk in every month or so I think.

Each club also gets funding think about €500 but don't quote me on that things may have changed this year.
    Would be a fun club but I'd be too afraid!

As a first year I wouldn't even know where to begin in setting up a club, I don't even know of any riding schools in letterkenny. Been at it nearly 3 years now and it would kill me to give it up. :(
    It would be a very fun club, ah Id get ya up on a horse seriously nothing to worry about except the aches and pains in your legs for about a week after your first time! :D

TPD wrote: »
    Yup, there is. I think they show a few films once every week or fortnight in a lecture hall, but I've never been so I'm not sure.

I didn't know that either! Looks like I'll be signing up to plenty this year :D

As a first year I wouldn't even know where to begin in setting up a club, I don't even know of any riding schools in letterkenny. Been at it nearly 3 years now and it would kill me to give it up. :(
    It would be a very fun club, ah Id get ya up on a horse seriously nothing to worry about except the aches and pains in your legs for about a week after your first time! :D

You can go into the Student Union and speak to them they would be able to help you :)

I haven't a clue about riding schools in Letterkenny but I have a friend who is involved with the stables down in a town called Dunfanaghy. You could always pop down there if you have a car or hop on the bus. Will text her and find out about the Letterkenny situation though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I don't even know of any riding schools in letterkenny

The Pulse nightclub is a pretty well established place! Even the same side-effects are felt for the week after! :p

The Pulse nightclub is a pretty well established place! Even the same side-effects are felt for the week after! :p

Ewwwwwwwwwww

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Ewwwwwwwwwww

:pac:

Dont pretend you dont see that carry on!!!

Damn young'uns!

So what'd everyone join? I've my name down for astronomy, photography and vetenary nursing :P The guys in the surfing club have to buy the vetenary nursing girls' lunch if they get less signatures.

Sinn Fein
    Diabeties...(wrong spelling I know but they forced me too!)
    Karate
    Hill Walking
    Gaming Society
    Frisbee!

:D

Think that's about it

• Advertisement

Veterinary nursing society
    Equestrian club
    Climbing club

Advertisement