Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DC120 - Enterprise Computing

• 06-09-2010 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Just a few questions for anybody who is studying Enterprise Computing (or anybody who has done the course) if you don't mind :o.

I'm doing my Leaving Cert next June and have been looking around at courses in DCU. One that caught my eye is DC120 as it encompasses two of my keen interests - business and computers. I wouldn't say that I' an expert with a computer, but I have a fairly decent understanding of them if that makes sense.

I suppose I was really just wondering if there are any jobs out there for people with a degree in Enterprise Computing? If so, what could you do with it in terms of a career? Also, is the course more focused on computers or business or is it more or less an equal mix?

Thanks in advance :).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

Mr.S wrote: »
    In the second semester its Marketing, 70% theory and the exam are multiple choice questions and then 30% is on presentations, one individual and one with a group.
    Marketing is now gone and replaced by Managing Enterprise Computer Systems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 JAndrews

Anyone have anymore information on this?
    I've a huge interest in business and quite an interest in computers. Would it be more a computing degree then business degree? is it tough? class sizes/help available?..etc

The interest in computers will make things that bit easier for you. The modules thankfully are quite practical focussed. The course itself basically deals with how companies best use IT.

The first year, like most courses is a bit of a taster to get everyone to grips with the basics. Second year is a better with a module in Networks that is very hands on - 3 hour lab/week. There is a year long module in C/C++ and another in Databases. More info here: http://www.dcu.ie/registry/module_contents.php?function=4&programme=EC

They have changed third year from now on so it is no longer a full year of placement but it is still 2 months longer than the CA course so applicants in EC get first preference on similar jobs...

Thanks for reply, appreciate it.
    But what type of computing is, i see web design and the likes on the modules. That sounds pretty interesting and practical.. My downfail is maths/physics. Would they play a big role in the course? In otherwords would I have to be a 'nerd' to excel in this course? No programming or anything I hope?

JAndrews wrote:
    Thanks for reply, appreciate it.
    But what type of computing is, i see web design and the likes on the modules. That sounds pretty interesting and practical.. My downfail is maths/physics. Would they play a big role in the course? In otherwords would I have to be a 'nerd' to excel in this course? No programming or anything I hope?

The course doesn't have the same emphasis on maths and programming as CA as it is pointed to a different type of Degree however it isn't what you'd call easy. If you don't put in the work, you will do ****. You don't have to be a nerd to excel at any programming and maths modules, all you have to do is put in the work and if you are having problems, there is support available through a maths learning center and a progamming tutor.

It goes for any course, you can do shag all, get lucky and pass or you can put the work in and do well...hope it goes well for ya!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

JAndrews wrote: »
    No programming or anything I hope?

No offence, but if you're going into a "computing" course complaining at the prospect of maybe learning programming, it's not going to go well for you.

Thanks for that cynical-ru, you've been quite helpful.
    Pygmalion wrote: »
    No offence, but if you're going into a "computing" course complaining at the prospect of maybe learning programming, it's not going to go well for you.

I'm not really complaining. Don't get me wrong I'm willing to work. It's just to me the term ''computing'' is a very vague term, and doesn't always mean programming.

As outsider to the course, I'm finding it hard to know exactly what the course entails, hence why I am here. That is the downfail of the educational system, people are getting into courses they know extremely little about. Something which I do not want to do. Basically I'm looking to do a business degree and then all going well go on to do a masters degree in business studies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Pretty much any course with computers, in a university, will have some programming.
    Web design also involves writing code. If you want to be thorough in your research you need to look up the individual subjects and research the contents.
    Theres more information on the subjects here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 QwertyFinger

EC2 now has programming, C in the first semester, C++ in the 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 breadmantoast

I have never done any business subject in my life but I'm quite good at the maths programming side, not sure if I want to do CA as I heard the workload will butt rape you if you don't stay on top of it which means you can't fully go out and do all the college **** like going off for a week and getting full etc.. Would I do ok in this course never having done business? I kinda like the idea of business from movies and that though haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Currently doing this course, in 2nd year.

It is definitely more of a computing course than a business course. Really haven't done much business at all :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

I have never done any business subject in my life but I'm quite good at the maths programming side, not sure if I want to do CA as I heard the workload will butt rape you if you don't stay on top of it which means you can't fully go out and do all the college **** like going off for a week and getting full etc.. Would I do ok in this course never having done business? I kinda like the idea of business from movies and that though haha

CA isn't to bad, as long as you don't disappear for weeks on end there shouldn't be a problem passing the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

I can't help but feel TV and movies and not giving an entirely honest impression of university =/
    Tends to not focus much on the whole education thing. Which is kind of the whole reason you're there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dr1ver

I do this course. I personally really like it as career prospects are great and seem to pay well. As for the breakdown of computing vs business...eh its a computing degree, expect to learn code (javascript, java, shell programming, networks) but there is also modules that teach you how to apply technology in enterprise. The Maths can be quite difficult at times but it is passable with effort.

The CA is more programming oriented while EC is a mix of both programming and IT Management.

Oh yeah, just because you see the word "Business" in module names, trust me you will not be learning about "business" you done in LC. The "business" side of the course is mainly applying technology in enterprises.

The course is relatively new (I think 4 years old) and has been designed to fill a gap in the work force. I done some research and jobs seem to be quite rewarding, especially in the States.

Oh yeah, do not think this course is much easier than CA. You will be surprised when it all piles up.

So OP if your intention is to do business, this is definitely the wrong course for you. I would split it 70% Computing 30% IT Management.

So yeah, if there is anything else you wanna know, don't hesitate to ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jamjam97

hi there i am currently in nci doing technology management tbh i like my course but the college and my class is kinda small and there is i im looking to transfer to dcu in second year as i think its the best bet for me to actually get job at the end of the 4 years i would like to do enterprise computing. i was told mine was 50% 50% computing and business which i like but what i want to know is will i be able to do that and how the split of business and computing is now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Necro thread and last poster has already opened a new thread with his question so locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement