Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GOING INSANE SMOKE ALARM KEEPS BEEPING !!

Options
  • 06-09-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there can anyone help me please!!!....I have just moved into a house that has an Altec alarm system - everything was fine with the alarm until today when the smoke alarm keeps beeping every 40 secs of so..... I dont even know if it is connected to the alarm system but as it has no battery and only wires coming down from the ceiling when i open it up i assume its connected in some way to the alarm??

can ANYONE help me please! ....i read previous posts that say all you have to do is change the battery but i dont understand where the battery is ....when i open up the smoke alarm i just see a hole in the ceiling and wires coming down!!!

Thanks in advance for anyone who can supply some expert advice or similar experience...cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭meercat

its a mains powered detector with battery backup
    the cables generally unplug from the detector head and reveal the battery
    make sure power is off when doing this
    if you can replace all batteries in all your smoke alarms at the same time it would be advisable

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Ya sure your house ain't on fire?

:)

As meercat said, remove the cables, they'll be attatched to the battery out of sight!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Just reading over this again I get a different take.
    Are the wires going into the detector mains wires or alarm cables.
    If the detector is connected to an Astec alarm there will be a small interface (about the size of a 9 volt battery) connected to the smoke alarm with 2 wires going off to the alarm panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 diynovice

thanks so much for the quick reply - I feel really stupid in that i only just now found the battery after reading your posts ...... i have managed to dislodge it but am unable to remove it from the alarm (im not even a novice and dont seem to be able to even remove it from the alarm!)...... at least il get some sleep tonite thanks again for such quick replies .....really appreciate your help...if any of you work in the area and have business cards etc i would gladly give you my business.....so pm with details cheers

Advertisement