Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appealing and losing a college place?

Options
  • 06-09-2010 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I got into my course on minimium points. I think I'll appeal my Economics because I was 9 marks off the A1, and I'm due another 25 according to the marking scheme. If my result comes back as a B1 in Mid-October and it's downgraded, do I lose my college place because I'm 5 points short?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Maybe, maybe not. I reckon you should leave it and just be happy you got college place. Not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

NO. When you accept your offer you enter into a contract with the CAO, and even if you are downgraded they cannot take your offer off of you. So you're safe! If the marking scheme says you're due another 25 marks then you'd be crazy not to go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

fauxshow wrote: »
    If the marking scheme says you're due another 25 marks then you'd be crazy not to go for it!
    Not really that crazy if they're happy with the course they have. Unless the OP needs the points for a higher offer, what is even the point of appealing? Sure an A1 is nice, but in a few years you probably won't even remember it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

Personally I feel that if you've worked hard at a subject and gone through the stress and trauma of 6th year and have been given a grade that is clearly incorrect based on the marking scheme, you'd be silly not to want your just grade (especially as you'll be refunded your money if you're upgraded so it's completely free) and see yourself get the best maximum points you can. You're going to be putting your results on your CV for the next couple of years and whilst there are bigger and better things in life as you grow older, the Leaving Cert is an important landmark and not something you'll forget. The way I see it anyway, education is important and there is every point in appealing, irregardless of whether or not you have your first choice.

Advertisement