Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use phone as Wi-Fi hotspot

Options
  • 06-09-2010 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Apologies if this has already been covered.

Is it possible to use a HTC Desire or Galaxy S as a Wi-Fi hotspot so that, for instance, a laptop or non 3g ipad can connect to the internet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Galaxy S works perfect as a hotspot, not sure about the Desire but I presume so

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

A Desire with Froyo can do this and it works exceptionally well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭dubsaab

Thanks for the replies
    S.M.B. wrote: »
    A Desire with Froyo can do this and it works exceptionally well for me.

What network are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

dubsaab wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies

I use O2. Am actually using it now!! Works really well. Have used it numerous times over the last few weeks. really handy I must say.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Galaxy works very well.
    Goto Settings > Wireless & Network> Mobile AP Setting & Check Mobile AP.
    It sets it up & give you a WPA pass key which you can change in settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

dubsaab wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies

I'm on O2 (uk) too and have had zero problems setting it up (couldn't get the wired tethering up and running on my mac though). Luckily I have a 'unlimited' data allowance too as a 500MB allowance wouldn't last too long if you were to use it often.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yup, the Desire works no probs as a hotspot, I have the official HTC Froyo update and there it is, cunningly called "Wi-Fi Hotspot"

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Yep, I've a desire running stock Froyo 2.2 and it works perfectly on vodafone. Used it recently in Italy (as part of my bundle) to connect a wifi only ipad to the net while on holidays. It's a bit heavy on the batteries on the desire though.

Advertisement