Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA Store Location Policy

Options
  • 06-09-2010 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

*Mods, not sure if this is the right place, please move accordingly.*

Just doing a project and looking into the location policy of IKEA. As in market size, infrastructure required in the locality, demographics etc.

I've googled a few terms to try and access this information but haven't come across anything concrete as yet.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

*Mods, not sure if this is the right place, please move accordingly.*

Just doing a project and looking into the location policy of IKEA. As in market size, infrastructure required in the locality, demographics etc.

I've googled a few terms to try and access this information but haven't come across anything concrete as yet.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.
    Surely you can do your own research?

There is more to life than Google.

What did IKEA head office say when you rang them? What did the FCC planning documents say for the Ballymun store?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Bluetonic wrote: »

What did IKEA head office say when you rang them? What did the FCC planning documents say for the Ballymun store?

I'm reading through the planning documents as I type but always find a thread put up on boards can be useful for finding out information. As you said there is more to life than Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭frankymail

At least we all know now that you can find smart-arse answers really easily when you Google.

All you had to do was suggest getting in contact with IKEA and looking for the FCC planning documents.

frankymail wrote: »
    At least we all know now that you can find smart-arse answers really easily when you Google.

All you had to do was suggest getting in contact with IKEA and looking for the FCC planning documents.
    If you've a problem with my post can I suggest you use the report post option or perhaps refrain from involving yourself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

OP, big companies like IKEA can often be quite accomodating if it's a genuine college assignment. Don't expect them to give away any trade secrets, but they'll most likely give you the time of day if you ask nicely. You can get the census info for population data by county and local authority area at www.cso.ie, not sure if you can localise it more than that but the CSO themselves could help you there.

There were two major stipulations in the planning permission granted to IKEA by FCC. These were that the M50 upgrade must be completed to a certain extent before it opened, and that opening hours had to be restricted to after 11am, etc. As franky said, you can get all this info from the planning documents on the Fingal CO CO website above. (Open them in IE, firefox doesn't like the interface. Go to Planning->Search for a planning reference)
    If you've a problem with my post can I suggest you use the report post option or perhaps refrain from involving yourself. :)

It's a forum, for opinions, he gave his and I'm giving mine. You were mildly rude, tbh, more in your response than the original reply. No need for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

sdonn wrote: »
    OP, big companies like IKEA can often be quite accomodating if it's a genuine college assignment. Don't expect them to give away any trade secrets, but they'll most likely give you the time of day if you ask nicely. You can get the census info for population data by county and local authority area at www.cso.ie, not sure if you can localise it more than that but the CSO themselves could help you there.

There were two major stipulations in the planning permission granted to IKEA by FCC. These were that the M50 upgrade must be completed to a certain extent before it opened, and that opening hours had to be restricted to after 11am, etc. As franky said, you can get all this info from the planning documents on the Fingal CO CO website above. (Open them in IE, firefox doesn't like the interface. Go to Planning->Search for a planning reference)

It's a forum, for opinions, he gave his and I'm giving mine. You were mildly rude, tbh, more in your response than the original reply. No need for that.

Cheers.

I'm a planning graduate and I'm studying GIS at the moment so have been poring over the Census Database Direct and Fingal (and other) Co. Council sites for years, thanks for the suggestions though!

With regards to the Census data as you suspect it is indeed possible to narrow it down to the Small Area Population Statistics which allows you then to access information at the Electoral Division level. Very interesting stuff to build up a demographic profile of an area. It can be a bit fiddly to work with but once you get the hang of it it's a powerful resource. That combined with a Geographical Information System should help to present an interesting case.

Just if anyone else is interested if you go to this link: http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/wphappcriteria.display

and search for this file: F06A/0227 it will bring up all the documents from the planning application. As sdonn said that site prefers IE, it also likes Chrome.

Thanks again for the input.

sdonn wrote: »
    Thankfully I don't pay much heed to your opinions. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Folks, chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

I don't know if this will help you or not OP, but here are two news stories about IKEA looking for a site location somewhere in Munster:

IKEA site hunt raises hopes for jobs boost (Irish Examiner, 23 July 2010)

IKEA hold preliminary talks with Mallow council (Irish Examiner, 30 July 2010)

Advertisement