Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best profession's for a Druid

Options
  • 06-09-2010 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

My warrior has mining and Blacksmithing maxed out and I was just wondering in your opinion what is best for a druid? He is 80 and hasn't got any .. I was thinking Herb & Alch maybe? whats the best these days for him? (Balance)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

depends on what u want to do? make money? be more beneficial in raids ect?

In the long run enchanting / JC'ing is probs the best regardless of your class.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I wouldnt bother concentrating on professions untill the next expansion comes out.

At each expansion, different prof combos become better and worse, like JC/BS was fotm for a while, as is ench/tail and ench/jc.

If your looking to level up profs in the meantime, do 2 gathering ones and make the money to powerlevel two creation profs later.

Mining/skin or Herb/Skin is the way to go for the moment. The mats you gather levelling up will make you a fair amount of gold and then you can farm away at the top level stuff (altho this wont make as much gold as the lower level stuff, theres always demand)

really, apart from the obvious armor types, there is no 'best' profession for a class per se. There are 'better' professions for a type (tank/dps/healer) but even then, the different professions give _roughly_ the same benefits at the end of the day.

We're a LONG way past everyone having to have the 'best' professions like in sunwell :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hungrychef

Dustaz wrote: »
    I wouldnt bother concentrating on professions untill the next expansion comes out.

I'd have to disagree with that. Now is the time to level your professions if anything. I imagine mass rerolling in the expansion, especially with new races being implemented. While I wouldn't worry about maxing professions, getting em up now will no doubt work out considerably cheaper than when everyone is leveling professions.

As for what professions. Each profession gives near enough the same bonus. Blacksmithing/JC ofc are optimal as you can boost specific stats such as hit/crit/haste etc instead of a blanket Ap/Sp/Stam boost.

So whatever you choose should be more for what you need. If you raid a lot, go for Alchemy perhaps to save some cash on flasks. If you pvp, go for Engineering for fun toys :P Do you want another gathering profession? Maybe skining or herbalism.

It's hard to answer a question like this without saying "it doesn't really matter, take what you like" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 82,035 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If anything now is a great time to invest in gathering professions. Again with all the rerolls there will be major shortages in many materials. You cant go wrong with a bank tab full of silver and mithril: the prices will go through the roof and theyre already worth decent margin. Also good to consider Runecloth and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

TechnoPool wrote: »
    depends on what u want to do? make money? be more beneficial in raids ect?

This is the key question you have to ask yourself. Most serious raiding guilds require that you have two raiding professions to join. My main raiding toon, a Resto Druid has JC/Alchemy. I also have my farmer, a lv 80 DK, that does all the gathering with Mining/herbalism.

If it's gold your after then two gathering professions is what you want.

I would also agree that this is the best time to LV a profession.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

With an increase of 5 levels with Cata, there is no reason why everybody shouldn't have 2 max level characters pretty quickly after its' release. That said, double gathering and double crafting professions on your alt and main respectively will be the norm. Blizzard have unanimously announced that they want all professions to be equal in terms of individual power level when it comes to raiding but JC/Enchanting are always in demand by end-game classes. Imho, that makes them must haves for money making at end-game, especially if you are at the forefront and can keep them up-to-date.

I made several thousand gold from Jewelcrafting/Blacksmithing at the start of the WotLK expansion and there is no reason everyone can't do similar with Cata. Depends what you want really. For druid I'd suggest Leatherworking and Jewelcrafting if you can support them with a gathering alt or have a decent amount of capital to invest in power leveling them until you can craft your way to profit.

hungrychef wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree with that. Now is the time to level your professions if anything.

Imagine we had this conversation 2 months ago.

At the start of wrath, inscription was THE moneymaking profession. Even up untill a couple of months ago it made pretty decent money compared to the rest. Coupled with the fact that new glyphs were being released all the time, and new glyphs would be released for cata, it would make sense this would be a pretty good profession to get now.

Wait tho, beta just changed all that. Now inscription wont make the money that it once did and never will again. Now you learn a glyph and thats it, youve learned it forever. Spend about 100g and you have all the glyphs for your class now, and when cata comes out another 100g and you have all the glyphs youll ever need and wont ever need new ones.

This is an example of how things change in beta. What you roll now might seem like the best idea, but no matter how much blizz say they want all profs to be equal, theres ALWAYS a 'best' combo and that combo always changes on major content releases.

Seriously, 2 gathering profs , make the money to reroll and reroll once it becomes apparent whats best for you.

Having said all that, ive had tailoring/ench on my main since vanilla and really never been arsed changing (I flat out refused to reroll leatherworking for SWP, thats up there with one of the most retarded things blizzard ever let happen)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Never bothered with professions at all personally.
    Always found them mind numbingly boring.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

druids herbalists have a nice advantage in that they can gather while still in flight form :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

druids herbalists have a nice advantage in that they can gather while still in flight form :)

Grmbl Grmbl ...... hate that especially in the basin!!!! ya see a herb, fly down to it, next thing a druid swoops down and nabs it before ya get landed to click on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Love professions tbh. My dk main has BS/Mining, my hunter has LW/Skinning, my rogue has Enchanting/Tailoring and my druid has Alchemy/Herb. All of them are maxed, and my rouge is only lvl 65 and my druid 75. Love the the fact you only have to be lvl 65 to have your profs maxed. I also have both Eng & JC near 375 on 2 other alts.

Hardest part is lvling the toons once they have the profs tbh. I dont raid and cba with pvp unless im doing it on a low level alt once in a while. So you can pretty much say Profs are a large part of the game for me. That said, im not one to spend hours on end farming:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

2x gathering profs+stash up low lvl mats in bank+cataclysm rerollers+???=profit

anything else is usless with so close to cataclysm

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Never really cared much for what profession for who, probably why I'm not the richest person out there (though admittedly thats because I live in battlegrounds/arena and hate questing/grinding and only raid x amount of time).

I tend to stick to the 'expected norm' with professions with a few exceptions - Note, these are my characters, not 'suggestions' for other people.

Rogue: Skin/LW
    Hunter: Eng/Mining (The Rogue LW helps make Mail items for her so I figured I'd go for something else)
    Priest: Alch/Herb (Love this combo for 'all round' benefit)
    Warrior: Skin/Ench (I really should level her skinning... She can only Enchant).
    Warlock: Ench/Tailoring
    Mage: Ench/Mining
    Paladin: Eng/Mining
    Shaman: Herb/Inscript
    Shaman: Ench/Skin

Basically I disliked BS and JC - They seem expensive to run (even if the rewards at max are very high in terms of money making) and I never had the patience for them. Engineering for me was the worse as it has little money making value and was an absolute nightmare, material wise, to get the hang of but it's... 'fun'.

At the end of the day I just went with what I felt seemed right and I don't regret it, you should probably do the same.

As many have said, come Cataclysm, they will all likely be very different to how they are now so to emphasise too much on it at the end of WotLK would be a bit of a waste.

Why not try the typical 'Skin/LW' route? Skinning can make a decent wash of money and it's no harm having a Creation Prof that emphasises your character (Druid/Leather).

jc withouth alchemy is usless. i wount go for jc on new server with only 1 char...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

fishing ftw

Inscription ftl :( is consantly about 4 of us on undercuttin each other and all persistant :mad: One tries to crash it down to 7/5/4g but think we all can get enough herbs to just keep on goin though so loose/loose situation. Makin small amounts but its levelled and can sometimes get the odd 70g glyph sold.

Flasks ain't goin for much either and I stocked up on loads of frost lotus and uselss now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

I have Herbalism/Mining on my Druid with a macro set on one of mouse buttons that switches between tracking the two. The ability to pick herbs while in flight form was too good to pass up on especially when doing runs in WinterGrasp :)

In reality though I mostly just leave herb tracking on as I already know where the spots are for ore in WG or SB and just keep a look out for them when flying around for herbs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Berns wrote: »
    One tries to crash it down to 7/5/4g but think we all can get enough herbs to just keep on goin though so loose/loose situation.

I'm sure you can get it back to a tight/tight situation :pac:

I'd say alchemy, seriously handy stuff

RopeDrink wrote: »
    No idea why you quoted my entire post to say that, especially as I said bugger all about JC except I don't particularly like it - I made no recommendations, just speaking in general about how I feel about profession choices.

you said you dont like jc, i told you a thing why jc would be a bad proffesion,if you got only one 80 char maxed out proffesions. no need to be so defencive...

jc withouth alchemy is usless. i wount go for jc on new server with only 1 char...

He has got alch...

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm sure you can get it back to a tight/tight situation :pac:

I'd say alchemy, seriously handy stuff

Doh :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Insomniac_

Herb+Alch

Flasks
    Flasks
    Flasks
    Flasks
    <3

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TheShogun

My Main is a Feral Druid (DPS and Tanking in ICC 25 HC) and at the moment I'm using LW and Alchemy for Raids but I'm considering dropping one of my professions to take Engineering in Cata. You really need to decide what you want your professions for. I'm basically looking for the biggest mix of Stat boosts for Raiding so I'll typically have 2 crafting professions with my alts providing all my gathering professions.

Nehaxak wrote: »
    I have Herbalism/Mining on my Druid with a macro set on one of mouse buttons that switches between tracking the two.
    As of today's patch, no longer required:

cataminimap.jpg

Archaeology. No plans have been announced or suggested for new primary professions.

Flight Form is why a druid was my 2nd roll but i made the mistake of leveling resto in the Kalimdor Zones. I dont need to tell you, but I think those zones were boring as hell. Wont make the same mistake twice with Cheesemonstr The Feral Druid Dairy Destroyer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm quite looking forward to having 2 gathering professions with my Druid, and the new ability to track both herbs and mining. Definitely going to give Archeology a go as well. Sounds interesting, and is a good way to see the new world changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm quite looking forward to having 2 gathering professions with my Druid, and the new ability to track both herbs and mining.

Yep it's pretty nifty, just noticed it there on my Druid, no more mapping of a macro to a mouse button to switch between them while farming :) very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Dustaz wrote: »
    and really never been arsed changing (I flat out refused to reroll leatherworking for SWP, thats up there with one of the most retarded things blizzard ever let happen)

huh? Whats all this about then?

Advertisement