Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builder issues

Options
  • 06-09-2010 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hello, I'm looking for some advice and I would really appreciate any help.

I am living in a rented property with my partner, it's affordable and we have really turned it into a home over our stay. There have been a few hiccups however, which have really taken their tole on us.

2 years ago our landlord hired a "roofer" to strip the galvanize roof and rebuild it due to numerous leaks within all the apartments in the building. He paid him upfront, that was to cover the stripping, rebuilding and repair of any other issues which may arise with the roof.
    Since we moved in about 1 year ago, there have always been leeks from our roof, coming into our bedroom, spare room, hallway and sitting room. These leaks have damaged numerous electrical items(insured and replaced).
    All issues seemed to be resolved for about 2 months until last night. The ceiling is leaking in numerous rooms now, almost allowing the water to flow in. Also the hallway is leaking in 3 places and now flooding after heavy rain.

We will move if necessary. However, our main issue is our landlord(a kind and gentle man) who seems to have been taken for a ride, loosing thousands aswell as numerous tenants.
    He has threatened legal action towards the builder on numerous occasions but has never actually acted on his word. I simply do not want to see this "roofer" come into my home again, simply causing more hassle.
    I have been told time and time again that the landlord needs the builder to return repeatedly and if he does not resolve the issues, then legal action may be seeked. Is it just me or is 2 years without any result long enough to wait before seeking legal action?

Personally, I would like to see an architect brought to the building to assess the damage. Following this with suing the supposed builder for all damages caused and getting the building repaired by another builder.
    This builder is a registered roofing engineer, however a family friend to my landlord, I simply believe that he has swindled him out of every cent he had simply because he could, abusing trust.

I would really appreciate any advice given. It is more for my landlord than myself.

Many thanks,
    Catherine H

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

You are renting. Forget this hassle and move out. It may never be fixed, and although you are living there - builders / roofers / repairs etc are not your direct concern.

Move on, there's good value elsewhere out there... [without leaks!]

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

however a family friend to my landlord
    We both know it'll never make it to court, and the threats he says he is making seems only for your benefit, to keep you around. TBH, get the f**k out, and find a decent place; 2 years is taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 marcusurillies

I wouldn get involved. You will have all them hastles yourself soon enough when you own your own property. The roofing guy seems like a right chancer and one way is to tell him that he will be named and shamed on the internet, thatll scare him into action believe you me. The landlord should help you get a place as well as he should of vetted the guy in the first place me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Move, You have very little rights as a renter in Ireland.

In the Netherlands your Landlord has 30 days to resolve the issue (whereby they either provide alternate accomodation or release your from your lease and pays your moving costs) , if nothing is done you inform the city hall, they send out an inspector and authorise the work.

Then the bill goes to the landlord.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Move,
    If the landlord doesn't have the balls to sort the issue then your wasting your rent money, its a renters market at the moment so get a place with no leaks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Squidgie

Stay well outta it. There isn't any point getting an architect out, it's nothing got to do with him/her. If you/your landlord wanted to get advice, you should get a building surveyor to look at the damage and give a you a list of what action(s) should be taken to rectify the matter. Give this list to the roofer to get completed. If he doesn't, then the solicitors letter should be sent. if he does, then get the surveyor out after hes finished to carry out a final inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Better advice in Accomodation & Property methinks

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

You do seem fond of your landlord and you like the home you have created - but 2 years of putting up with this nonsense is too long. I would start looking for a new place straight away.

We can't all look out for "Ol Gill" chracters from the Simpsons. http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Gil_Gunderson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 CacaLuvsCuddles

Thanks to everyone for your advice.
    My boyfriend and I just moved house, paying a little more for the new place but it's a real home with an actual roof!!

We really appreciate all the advice, you gave us a wake up call.

Many thanks and best wishes

Catherine and Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

registered roofing engineer
    No such thing.

There is a roofing contractors association of some kind. Dropping them a note might be useful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement