Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 24 hour challenge for website makers and charities

Options
  • 06-09-2010 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

banner.png

Delighted to give http://24theweb.com a shout out. This thread is for any questions our members may have relating to the project.

24theweb is a charity initiative happening on November 13, where teams of people build websites for a charity in 24 hours.

For website makers:
    Teams

There will be three teams, each consisting of seven people, in the following roles:
    • Designer
    • Programmer
    • Content Writer
    • IA/UX
    • HTML/CSS coder
    • Project Manager
    • Wildcard

Applications will be open for people soon. You can apply as teams or as groups of two or three and we’ll try and mix and match.

People will be selected based on portfolio and/or experience, and whether they are applying as a group.

You'll find more information here.

For charities:

Do you need your website designed or updated? There are three spaces for Irish charities who can meet the following conditions.
    • You could never afford a website in a million years. (If you can afford one, hire a reputable designer/agency and have them build one for you – it’s a smart investment.) Plus we don’t want to take work away from people.
    • You have great content – photos, stories and copy. (We only have 24 hours so we need a decent amount of material to work with – remember you may need permission if you’ve pictures of children.)
    • You have someone who will keep your site up-to-date in the future. (We want to make you a living site that works hard for you.)

Charities can apply here

Cheers and good luck!

Darragh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 irishstu

Big thanks to Darragh for getting the word out on this - I'm helping to organise it and happy to answer any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

This sounds great, I've seen the results from a NZ one and they were fantastic sites considering. When are applications opening up?

Thanks Pixelcraft - hopefully I'll get applications for volunteers up later this evening. Full Code Press is what made me want to do this event, so fingers crossed we will get some great results out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

Ah yes, it was the Victoria House site I remembered (that's why I had though of NZ). Best of luck with the event

We're now looking for volunteers to build the charity sites - if you're interested or know someone who is then head to http://24theweb.com/volunteer/to sign up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Wow great idea! A couple of years ago I toyed with the idea of offering my 'services' to charities, but decided that I was a bit too sh*t back then :D Maybe when I get back to Ireland I'll pursue it.

Anyways, cool idea, good luck with it!

BTW there's a bit of a layout problem on the submit page -- ironic :p

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭site designer

Dave! wrote: »
    Wow great idea! A couple of years ago I toyed with the idea of offering my 'services' to charities, but decided that I was a bit too sh*t back then :D Maybe when I get back to Ireland I'll pursue it.

Anyways, cool idea, good luck with it!

BTW there's a bit of a layout problem on the submit page -- ironic :p

Change the iframe height to 800px will fix that hey

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Sounds good. Will look into getting the word out tomorrow.

Thanks for pointing that out - should be fine now. (must stop doing this stuff so late at night)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭site designer

Whats the advertising oppurtunites on the sites created? will there be a 'designed by such and such' link at the bottom? If theres several people designing one site and that. Cheers

• Advertisement

I think a colophon link in the footer linking to a page listing the teams would be a good way to list and thank the people involved in creating the site - thanks for the suggestion

edit: we'll be promoting the teams involved on the 24theweb.com site and liveblogging the event so hopefully the people involved will get a nice bit of attention out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Best of luck to any boardsies taking part in this today. If you can, why not pop a link to your project here when you're done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Advertisement