Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Untimely deaths of Irish politicians/businessmen

Options
  • 06-09-2010 7:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

So I was reminded of Liam Lawlor and remember thinking that he was killed when I first heard of his untimely death. I decided to see if we can get a homegrown CT going and see what turns up.

So the theme is corruption and possible murders. Can you think of any recent politicians and businessmen that may have been involved in corruption or had evidence of corruption and have met untimely deaths? Just start throwing names into the hat and we'll see what comes up.

Liam Lawlor, corrupt politician and rogue FF party member. Died in a car crash in Russia 22 October 2005, about two and a half years after facing unanimous calls for his resignation in the Dail. Perhaps he decided to spill the beans after being disgraced by Bertie Ahern and the boys. Russian police initially reported that the woman in Lawlor's car may have been a sixteen-year-old prostitute and Irish papers were quick to pick up on the story. Was this an attempt at one final disgrace for Mr. Lawlor?

Seamus Brennan, FF minister and generally thought to be a good man. I have no reason to believe he was involved in corruption or any other illegal dealings. He died of unknown causes on 9 July 2008. All I can find is that he was "unwell for some time". Did he know something that the boys didn't want him talking about? Was he a liability?
    Patrick Rocca, an Irish real-estate tycoon, was found shot dead at his home in a suburb of Dublin in an apparent suicide, police said Wednesday.
    Rocca reportedly had a fortune estimated at £462.9 million, or $647 million, in 2007. Accorp's assets were valued at €13.7 million at the end of 2007, according to documents lodged at the Companies Registration Office. The company owed €18.1 million to creditors due to be paid within a year, the documents show.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/21/business/worldbusiness/21iht-21irish.19558567.html
    Patrick Rocca seemed to have it all. A poster boy for Ireland’s Celtic tiger economy, he lent Bill Clinton his helicopter whenever he was in Ireland for a round of golf and rubbed shoulders with Tony Blair at gala dinners.

He played tennis with Sir Alan Sugar in Marbella and ran a property empire that spanned the Irish Sea.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article5555823.ece

Here's a juicy one from February of this year. Let's see if we can find out who this fella was.
    An investigation is under way after undertakers found a golf ball lodged in the throat of a deceased Irish businessman.

Funeral home staff made the shocking discovery as they prepared the man's body for burial recently. Unusually, the object had not been discovered during the course of a post-mortem. The businessman, believed to be from south Dublin, has not been named.

The ball may have been forced down the man's throat, but it is understood that gardai have ruled out foul play.
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/golf-ball-found-in-throat-of-dead-irish-businessman-14683775.html

I would like to stress that this is mainly a fact finding mission, and also just a bit of fun. I just want to see how well people here can investigate an unknown CT and come up with relevant facts. So there yas go lads, get crackin'!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I bumped the Liam Lawlor thread for ya :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭demonspawn

I bumped the Liam Lawlor thread for ya :D:D

The golf ball death is extremely interesting. I may have to head down to Dublin one day, do a bit of investigative journalism, and see what turns up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Seamus Brennan was sick, the Roca chap committed suicide, no idea who the third lad is (but interested to find out)... there's no real evidence to substantiate your claim. And I think if there was somebody out there whacking people, at least one of the Anglo lads would have been done in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭demonspawn

Seamus Brennan was sick, the Roca chap committed suicide, no idea who the third lad is (but interested to find out)... there's no real evidence to substantiate your claim. And I think if there was somebody out there whacking people, at least one of the Anglo lads would have been done in.

Well that's the point of this entire thread. Find out who's died under mysterious circumstances and see if there's a connection. If there's no connection then there's no CT, simple.

What was Mr. Brennan's illness? Rocca was a multimillionaire and had very high connections, what the hell would he just decide to commit suicide for? What about Lawlor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

demonspawn wrote: »
    Rocca was a multimillionaire and had very high connections, what the hell would he just decide to commit suicide for?

Things were going bad for his business. Why does anyone just commit suicide, more people commit suicide here than die in road deaths, often people who you wouldn't expect at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement