Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography or Business to take up in one year?

Options
  • 06-09-2010 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I only got 535 this year for my leaving cert, doing subjects Biology, Chemistry, French, English, Irish, Home ec..needed 560 for my course so i'm repeating in a private college near home as im determined to become a vet! Im dead set on dropping english, and pass maths as i despise english :mad: and wont be using maths for points.. Im also taking up ag science.. It was strongly advised by the principal that i'd have 7 subjects for this leaving rather than 6.. When we weighed out all the possible options, the two that remained were business and geography.. Not really mad about either of the subjects to be honest, apparently the geography teacher is top class, wrote some revision book, but cant decide.The principal went through last years records, pretty impressive to say the least..All students who took up either subjects did not get lower than a B1.. a handful of A1s also.I know every student is different and last years results do not mean that I will get the same.. That said, which do ye think would be easier subject to take on in one year?Those who did both subjects this year may be able to compare the two... Help is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Geography hands down.

I did both subjects for my LC. Geography is a shorter course and a nicer paper. Business is a long course, can be boring at times and has an awful marking scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭lil*lady

I'd say Geography, I also did it for my leaving, not as difficult as Business to pick up in a short time. A friend of mine actually picked it up in just after Xmas in 6th year and got a higher grade then me - aint been allowed to live it down since! Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

You say you are repeating at a private college, is that by any chance the IOE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭cxh20y

No, Tutorial college in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

My advice is take up Economics. It's far shorter and far more to the point than business. The LC questions are relatively easy to predict and the same ones tend to come up an awful lot. It would certainly be easier to get an A1 in a year than either Business or Geography

• Advertisement

Is there alot of maths involved in economics? Excuse my ignorance! Its just that I dont think It would be my kind of subject if it had.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Nope not at all, all that's required is a bit of arithmetic in one or two questions. It's mainly about learning definitions, points, e.g. assumptions underlying theories or consequences of inflation etc. It's the shortest of the business courses and it's very very logical. There's a lot of choice on the exam and it's really just a case of spitting out the points you've learned there's no essays or long answers required. Have a cursory glance at some past papers or better yet a revision book and you'll see what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry Ftw

cxh20y wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I only got 535 this year for my leaving cert, doing subjects Biology, Chemistry, French, English, Irish, Home ec..needed 560 for my course so i'm repeating in a private college near home as im determined to become a vet! Im dead set on dropping english, and pass maths as i despise english :mad: and wont be using maths for points.. Im also taking up ag science.. It was strongly advised by the principal that i'd have 7 subjects for this leaving rather than 6.. When we weighed out all the possible options, the two that remained were business and geography.. Not really mad about either of the subjects to be honest, apparently the geography teacher is top class, wrote some revision book, but cant decide.The principal went through last years records, pretty impressive to say the least..All students who took up either subjects did not get lower than a B1.. a handful of A1s also.I know every student is different and last years results do not mean that I will get the same.. That said, which do ye think would be easier subject to take on in one year?Those who did both subjects this year may be able to compare the two... Help is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!:D
    Yes Geography is very doable in a year. Can't say the same for Business as I'm not doing it. If you decide to choose geography however I would recommend using the 'Exam Skills' Geography book. It's basically a book consisting of all past geography questions done at A standard. If you did 2-3 of these questions a week you'd do well on the day.
    Good Luck.

Thanks for all your advice!! greatly appreciated..Gecko, i will take a look at exam papers for economics and see what i make of it. Thanks again!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭irish_man

My advice is take up Economics. It's far shorter and far more to the point than business. The LC questions are relatively easy to predict and the same ones tend to come up an awful lot. It would certainly be easier to get an A1 in a year than either Business or Geography

+1
    Economics seems to be very short and do-able in one year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭kmhenry

hhhmmm...if you're into learning off essays i'd go for geography. if you're into learning off lists of points and are willing to do loads of exam questions i'd do business. I did both of these subjects for the leaving cert got a B2 (79.6%...saw this by viewing) in geography and an A1 in business (93%). I was always getting A1's in geography but in the end i got a bit overwhelmed by the amount of essays i was learning and think my brain just saturated. I really enjoyed Business and found it much easier to learn but, unlike geography, I do think you have to have a real interest in it as I'd say it could get real dull. Personally i'd pick business over geog any day but whatever suits you...they're both equally as demanding but in different ways (it just so happens i prefered the demanding nature of business over geog). Bonne Chance! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kylzer911

DO BUSINESSSSSSSSSS!!!

did it in 1 year last year and got an A2.. did geography too and got an A2 but did that in 2 years.. business is far easier, shorter, and a LOT less boring! Thank me later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭kmhenry

Kylzer911 wrote: »
    DO BUSINESSSSSSSSSS!!!

did it in 1 year last year and got an A2.. did geography too and got an A2 but did that in 2 years.. business is far easier, shorter, and a LOT less boring! Thank me later!

i agree...i did both for 2 years but found business way less draining and exhausting than geography...geography requires alot of energy to actually get up and learn off a string of essays. in business you can shorten a lot of things and think for yourself sometimes....your answering technique is vital however!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

Learning off essays? I don't think I ever learned off a single essay in Geography...just lots of points and facts/statistics to back up what I'm saying. A good standard of English and a liberal use of this 'pool' of facts will enable you to form essays in Geography no problem.

But as you quite rightly said, OP, every student is different. There is a lot of learning in Geography no matter how you look at it, and this year they were more specific with the paper (they made it so that you couldn't really leave things out quite so easily). I didn't do business but I reckon Geography is doable in a year if you get the core concepts sorted and the necessary facts committed to memory. That's what I did over the two years and I didn't go astray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

Do geography.

I went to LTC, Dan Sheedy is probably the best geography teacher in country.... do what he says, you'll do well.

Calum196 wrote: »
    Do geography.

I went to LTC, Dan Sheedy is probably the best geography teacher in country.... do what he says, you'll do well.

Really? Were you hesitant about taking it up because I am at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ozzz

Will be seeing u in LTC cxh20y

i just thought id throw that in :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

I only did geography for my leaving Cert (no Business) but the geography course is very broad. There are only one or two questions you can 'bank' on appearing, Geography is definitely doable in a year but prepare to learn quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭estadio

Well i would personally advise against doing Geography in one year. I did and instead of easy points i got a B2. I aced all the class tests but learning that many essays for 1 exam did it for me. Business is easier and you can use real life examples, i put less work into it and got an A2. However, any subject in one year is a tough task indeed. I would advise you to improve a little bit in other subjects instead of taking up either business or geography.

ozzz wrote: »
    Will be seeing u in LTC cxh20y

i just thought id throw that in :P

Intrigued! what subjects are you taking on??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

Ya at first I wasnt sure about taking on geography in one repeat year... but Dan really does make it very easy.

I actually took up Geog and Bus in one year and got A1s in both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ULgirl2010

I did both for my LC, in my opinion business would be easier without doubt.... I absolutley loved geog, found it very interesting, had a brill teacher and got a B1... hated business, **** teacher (ended up gettin notes from another teachers class and thought myself) and I got an A1... alot of business is common sense and its the way you phrase your answers which determines what grade you get... geog is alot of learnin.. i had a leaver arch FULL of sample answers, essays etc... its not actually possible to cover all geog course in 1 year,,, certainly not in the detail required to get a good mark... business is a much shorter course and in my experience very predictable if your willin to take chances, you can really cut the course down if your stuck for time... this is just my opinion though but like i said i love geog, hated business.. but got my A1 in business!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

I would definitely say Business! Geography is a much longer course than Business. We're going to be finished Business completely by Christmas.
    The Geography course rarely gets finished according to the teachers in our school, plus you have to do fieldwork.
    You can teach yourself Business, it's similar to the JC and you can make up a lot of the answers!

Advertisement