Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing Biology in one year.

Options
  • 05-09-2010 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi, I've started sixth year and I'm currently doing seven higher level subjects. One of the subjects is giving me trouble and i was thinking of dropping to ordinary level. I do'nt need this subject for what I want to do in college. However the college course I would like to do requires me to have a HC3 in Biology. I don't do Biology and I'm thinking a taking it up in the forrm of grinds in the institute. My question is would it be possible for me to get a HC3 in a year?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I have heard the Biology course is one of the longest courses in the whole LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

If your only looking for a C3 then yes. If you worked hard enough you could get an A. It's a subject that doesn't require a teacher. But make sure you start it right now and study hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry Ftw

unknown13 wrote: »
    I have heard the Biology course is one of the longest courses in the whole LC.
    Yes i've heard this too that's whats worrying me :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry Ftw

If your only looking for a C3 then yes. If you worked hard enough you could get an A. It's a subject that doesn't require a teacher. But make sure you start it right now and study hard.
    Thanks, that's reassuring, I think I'll give it a go! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭cxh20y

I wouldn't see any huge difficulty if you had the determination to study hard and push yourself to learn the chapters. By mastering chapters like genetics, ecology, photosynthesis and respiration and doing your very best to learn the rest of the chapters (bearing in mind it is an extensive course) a C3 is attainable without doubt.
    It is paramount however that you dont slack and take it easy, there will be serious cramming otherwise. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

ANY subject is doable in a year if you want it badly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Yes i've heard this too that's whats worrying me :eek:

Its pretty long alright!And is defintely one of the longest!
    But its very very easy to learn i found
    I did it for my LC in '09
    You don't need long answers at all.It's all short brief straight to the point stuff so you do need to know your stuff,not much room for waffling.But if your just aiming for the C3 then i think its very very do-able

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Depends on how good your memory is. Biology is all about learning definitions and processes off by heart, very little 'thinking' involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Started 5th year last week, have 5 biology classes a week, our teacher goes really really fast, but he said we wont be finished until easter in 6th year.

i wouldn't recommend it . . .

Anyone else find it ironic that the OP's username is chemistry ftw???!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

the course is really long but most of it doesn't take very long to do because there's so little understanding required. possible but there are other subjects that would be easier to do in a year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tomtom101

I think Biology really depends on the person... Its kinda easy to understand because it makes sense when you study it! But it is one of the longest courses on the leaving cert, but i'm if you get the revise wise book, and studie it in a proper way - like study the chapters that relate to each other at the same time - you'll be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

if you do the experments, all of unit 1 & 2 and the reproductive system,then you can answer something like 80% of the paper. So if you only need a HC3 then you could get that wit some work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dra1ocht

Hey, Biology is very doable. You just need to keep at it. Experiments can be done easily. Content is very digestible as long as you have good notes. Don't dare think about revision books. You can't revise something if you haven't learned it in the first place. Definitions are NB. Diagrams are somewhat important for handy marks. Simple answers are fine. But examiners like students who display understanding as we saw in the 2010 paper which had a full part of a question based on USING knowledge to explain situations.

Biology is not just about right and wrong. It's about knowing your stuff and being able to manipulate it.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

tomtom101 wrote: »
    I think Biology really depends on the person... Its kinda easy to understand because it makes sense when you study it! But it is one of the longest courses on the leaving cert, but i'm if you get the revise wise book, and studie it in a proper way - like study the chapters that relate to each other at the same time - you'll be sorted.

I'm taking up Biology. What chapters should I study together that relate to each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

well...biology is one of my favourite subjects and it gets easier the more you learn it beacuse a lot of it overlaps and links together. i'm in leaving cert now. i'm unsure what to say, whether you would get a lot done in one year. enough to get a C3 however i'd say. because if i had to take the exam at the end of last year i'd say i'd get that, not trying to be boastful! but i work hard at it, learn learn learn and have an amazing teacher! i'd say go for it:) do your best and thats all you can do. could you sit in on any 4th/5th year classes in your school?...that would be of some help if you could just listen in you know. are you going to take it up with a grinds teacher/...expensive??!:confused::eek::p

Advertisement