Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Colleges Ranked

Options
  • 05-09-2010 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Ire/World Rank UNIVERSITY

1.234 University of Dublin Trinity College
    2.290 University College Cork National University of Ireland
    3.435 University College Dublin National University of Ireland
    4.439 Dublin City University
    5.698 University of Limerick
    6.706 National University of Ireland Galway
    7.1064 National University of Ireland Maynooth
    8.1092 Dublin Institute of Technology
    9.2119 Waterford Institute of Technology
    10.3022 Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland
    11.3498 Cork Institute of Technology
    12.3612 Mary Immaculate College University of Limerick
    13.4398 Institute of Technology Sligo
    14.4763 Dundalk Institute of Technology
    15.4882 Institute of Technology Carlow
    16.5060 Galway Mayo Institute of Technology
    17.5207 National College of Ireland
    18.5237 Institute of Technology Tallaght *
    19.5293 National College of Art and Design
    20.5298 Griffith College Dublin
    21.5484 Tipperary Institute
    22.5579 Limerick Institute of Technology
    23.5671 Institute of Technology Tralee
    24.5701 Athlone Institute of Technology
    25.6796 Institute of Technology Blanchardstown
    26.6968 Royal College of Physicians of Ireland
    27.7211 Letterkenny Institute of Technology
    28.7498 Pontifical University Saint Patrick's College Maynooth
    29.7633 Dun Laoghaire Institute of Art Design and Technology
    30.7982 National University of Ireland
    31.8979 Milltown Institute of Theology and Philosophy
    32.9138 Dublin Business School
    33.9230 All Hallows College
    34.9325 Marino Institute of Education
    35.9878 Irish Management Institute
    36.9994 Griffith College Cork *
    37.10162 Saint Nicholas Montessori College Ireland
    38.10172 Honorable Society of King's Inns School of Law
    39.10441 Shannon College of Hotel Management
    40.10459 Dublin Institute of Design
    41.10526 Royal Irish Academy of Music
    42.10915 American College Dublin
    43.10978 Burren College of Art
    44.11224 Portobello College Dublin
    45.11626 Hsi Limerick Business School

I was looking for this information for a while and thought that students considering college would find this useful. If you want to know what the ranking is based on here's a link.http://www.webometrics.info/rank_by_country.asp?country=ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

You might want to explain what the ranking is by.

The ranking is only by the number of files published by each college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

It might not be exact but I'm sure it's relatively accurate. It's something to go by if your like me and just want an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

AFAIK: TCD is in the top 50 and UCD is in the top 100 of the universities in the World. People don't be put off by these and decide you want to go to TCD because a Degree is a Degree.

Everyone knows that TCD is the best in Ireland anyway. I would say these are fairly accurate. Of course you have to consider the course as well. Like Architecture is more developed in DIT than it would be in UL. These figures aren't meant to sway your decision, I just think they're interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

This is ridiculous. These rankings pitch Sheffield, Bristol and the Open University above Trinity.

• Advertisement

They are ranking specific area colleges aswell, like Kings Inn and the Teacher Training Colleges.

1 DUBLIN TRINITY COLLEGE
    2 University College DUBLIN
    3 University College CORK
    4 National University of Ireland, GALWAY
    5 DUBLIN City University
    6 DUBLIN Institute of Technology
    7 University of LIMERICK
    8 National University of Ireland MAYNOOTH

Here are the top 8 from topuniversities.com Still very similar

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Everyone knows that TCD is the best in Ireland anyway.

Depends how you define "best", really, doesn't it?

These "rankings" are doing universities more harm than good. There'll be quotas upped for publications and postgraduates and graduates, and these will lead to the aforementioned being of a lower standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭LutherBlissett

Daffyd Thomas, when you go to college, you'll realise that you're only as good as the marks you get. What college you attend doesn't really rank as important if you fail.

Topuniversities.com has a different ranking system so it is not based on these files.

• Advertisement

Daffyd Thomas, when you go to college, you'll realise that you're only as good as the marks you get. What college you attend doesn't really rank as important if you fail.

If you had read what I have been saying then you'll realise I'm not taking these rankings too literally. I find them interesting so I assumed other people would. Your post is offending and I don't appreciate the fact that you're insuating I have limited knowledge on what it takes to get good grades. I just did my leaving cert and had many awful teachers but managed to get good grades nonetheless.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Everyone knows that TCD is the best in Ireland anyway.
    Everybody knows? :)

I have great respect for Trinity as a university, not to mention that I love the atmosphere and the architecture of the old place, but despite its long pedigree and the fact that it's probably the best-known Irish university as a result, and certainly has many fine scholars working there, that doesn't mean that it's the foremost college in Ireland in all disciplines.

ALL international ranking systems are pretty suspect in my opinion; they measure superficially and subjectively, and attempt to establish a mean across a wide variety of disciplines and categories.

This particular one seems to measure "web presence" (see below) ... ok, I can see the logic, but realistically that gives very little indication of the quality of teaching which a first year in Geography or Zoology (for example) is likely to encounter.
    Objectives of the Webometrics Ranking of World's Universities

The original aim of the Ranking was to promote Web publication. Supporting Open Access initiatives, electronic access to scientific publications and to other academic material are our primary targets. However web indicators are very useful for ranking purposes too as they are not based on number of visits or page design but on the global performance and visibility of the universities.

As other rankings focused only on a few relevant aspects, specially research results, web indicators based ranking reflects better the whole picture, as many other activities of professors and researchers are showed by their web presence.

The Web covers not only only formal (e-journals, repositories) but also informal scholarly communication. Web publication is cheaper, maintaining the high standards of quality of peer review processes. It could also reach much larger potential audiences, offering access to scientific knowledge to researchers and institutions located in developing countries and also to third parties (economic, industrial, political or cultural stakeholders) in their own community.

The Webometrics ranking has a larger coverage than other similar rankings (see table below). The ranking is not only focused on research results but also in other indicators which may reflect better the global quality of the scholar and research institutions worldwide.

Your post is offending and I don't appreciate the fact that you're insuating I have limited knowledge on what it takes to get good grades.
    His post isn't offensive at all. You're reading far too much into it, and interpreting a general comment as in some way attacking or denigrating you personally, simply because he addressed it to you as the OP.

Seriously, relax and take some deep breaths!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Meh. If you pick a college going by its rankings, you're going the wrong way about it. Some faculties in different colleges outshine the same faculty in a different college, whatever its rank is. Plus its not like the best students in the country all congregate in Trinity, the top achieving students every year go to a variety of different universities.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Feckin CIT down below WIT:(

Feckin CIT down below WIT:(
    Well, if you look at that list, there are some very strange results.

For example, they appear to think that the National University of Ireland (No. 30) is a college in its own right, rather than a federal body.

Or look at the placings for King's Inns or the RIAM.

The fact that "web presence" is normally going to be lower in a smaller, more traditional college doesn't really reflect anything more than that those colleges are smaller and more traditional in their approach.

Kings Inn has been educating people longer than most colleges in Ireland and look at its position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

Times University Rankings.... I'd imagine the most accurate? I know when i was applying through UCAS, my career's advisor and I took their rankings system into account greatly!:)

1Trinity College Dublin 584
    2University College Dublin 580
    3University College Cork 565
    4National University of Ireland Galway 560
    5National University of Ireland Maynooth 558
    6Dublin City University 544
    7University of Limerick 518
    8Dublin Institute of Technology 504
    9Waterford Institute of Technology 498
    10Institute of Technology, Tralee 480
    11Cork Institute of Technology 471
    12Dundalk Institute of Technology 469
    13Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology 454
    14Letterkenny Institute of Technology 453
    15Limerick Institute of Technology 452
    16Athlone Institute of Technology 451
    17Institute of Technology, 446
    18Dun Laoghaire Institute of A,444
    19Institute of Technology, Carlow 443
    20Institute of Technology, Blanchardstown 439
    21Institute of Technology, Sligo 435

Source:http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/stug_ireland/universityguide.php

QS World University Rankings
    Trinity College Dublin Ireland 43 80.06 B1
    University College DUBLIN Ireland 89 69.73 A2
    University College CORK Ireland 207 52.66 A2
    National University of Ireland, GALWAY Ireland 243 49.08 E2
    DUBLIN City University Ireland 279 45.81 G1
    DUBLIN Institute of Technology Ireland 326 41.41 B3
    National University of Ireland MAYNOOTH Ireland 401-500 N/A G2
    University of LIMERICK Ireland 401-500 N/A E2

http://www.topuniversities.com/world-university-rankings

Institutes of Technology serve their purpose. They educate people who want to be educated but aren't capable of getting the higher points to go one of the few Universities. They can in some cases offer better courses than Universities because if you can't understand something in University you could be out on your own, where as the IT's have smaller classes so you might get that extra bit of help in the IT's.

IoTs offer many courses which aren't even offered in universities, and not everyone will choose a university over an IoT, even those with high points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

unknown13 wrote: »
    Institutes of Technology serve their purpose. They educate people who want to be educated but aren't capable of getting the higher points to go one of the few Universities. They can in some cases offer better courses than Universities because if you can't understand something in University you could be out on your own, where as the IT's have smaller classes so you might get that extra bit of help in the IT's.

That's a bit harsh. While it might be true on some scale, some people choose to go to ITs over Universities and there are quite a number of courses in ITs that require points similar to Universities for entry to the course. You also have to consider people's personal situation. Sligo IT is the closest third level college to where I teach and a lot of students from my school go there, many of them are capable and have the points to go to a university but want to be closer to home for a variety of reasons. Also cut off points are not an indication of the standard of student that got into the course. They are the points achieved by the lowest scoring student who got into the course. So it's not as clearcut as you makeout.

Just to give an example of what I am talking about:

A science course in Sligo IT:

SG448 Forensic Investigation and Analysis 340

340 was the lowest points achieved by a student entering that course. Everyone else scored higher than that. There are plenty of university courses that a student could get into with 340 points. I've just counted 12 from the points list for the University of Limerick alone.

It may also be the case that a student is weak at the core subjects but really good in other areas, and that will ultimately determine their points score. An average LC will prevent them from attending their No.1 choice in one of the universities perhaps but not an IT, but regardless of which one they went to they will excel in the area that they are good in.

A friend of mine got 380 in her LC. She was not good at languages, but was excellent at science. Having to take English, Irish and French for university requirement obviously didn't help when three of her seven subjects were not what she would voluntarily choose. Nevertheless she got to UL on those points, got a 1.1 degree and went on to do a PhD (not in languages!).

A points score and subsequent attendance at a university/IT based on those points doesn't tell the whole story about a person's ability.

unknown13 wrote: »

That's not entirely correct. I could have gone to any university to do Architecture but chose DIT as it is known as the best course. DIT, CIT and WIT are all on par with the best universities around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Happy with where BIT is tbh \o/

Advertisement