Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piking in Cavan

Options
  • 05-09-2010 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to do a bit of Pike fishing in Cavan the week after next. I usually do Lough Ramor but am keen to try somewhere different for a change.

Can anyone recommend a river or lake to try - obviously without giving too much detail away......;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I like to pick new lakes every time im up that direction, just look at the OSI website and pick one. they say thers one for every day of the year in Cavan area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I like to pick new lakes every time im up that direction, just look at the OSI website and pick one. they say thers one for every day of the year in Cavan area

Good advice! Picked two lakes out from the map and made some enquires from a guy I know who lives near one of them. He says one lake is ok and the other is not worth the bother. We're gonna fish the good one, and time permitting, we gonna fish another one he knows in Monaghan, which he says is fishing terrific...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

We hit four lakes yesterday. Not a solitary pike to be seen, but on one lake, a massive haul of perch was had!

All in all, a decent day out! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭MACK DE KNIFE

i use 2 fish castlelake, in ballieborough.....for pike we got sum 20 IBs plus there afew years ago;)......havent be down in 4-5 years now::o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

DO you need a licence for any of the lakes in Cavan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

thehamo wrote: »
    DO you need a licence for any of the lakes in Cavan?

Simple answer is no but there are a couple of private fisheries.
    99% of landowners won't mind you accessing
    a lake and will make it clear with signs if they
    don't want you in the land, it's usually parking issues but all in all it's free to fish for pike.
    Just remember to release all pike caught. You can't catch a dead fish twice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

i use 2 fish castlelake, in ballieborough.....for pike we got sum 20 IBs plus there afew years ago;)......havent be down in 4-5 years now::o

Great lake, i started deadbaiting it last winter(horrible:rolleyes:) and found it good.

Advertisement