Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fractions or Decimals?

Options
  • 05-09-2010 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭

I prefer fractions myself. If I have an online bookie account its set to fractions no matter what the market. Betfair is inderstandable and when I had an active account with them I wasn't bothered by the decimals but I guess I'm just more comfortable with fractions.

What about you? Which do you prefer and whats your account set to?

Whis do you prefer? 15 votes

Fractions
    0% 0 votes
    Decimals
    100% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Verance

Decimals are much easier to work with but I am fond of fractions, just for nostalgia sake :)

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Fractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Decimals. Much easier to work out potential return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Decimals. Way easier for dummies like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Fractions,I always wait on betfair for the fraction to come leaving the mouse over the decimal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Fractions, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Prefer decimals :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Fractions, just used to them and I don't like change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Kod-box

Fractions, but decimals are more exact for the few extra pennies.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭RichieD

Always Decimals, no mental math required

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

gotta be the fractions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

SHould be a push to decimilise the whole industry.

You'll find pricing will become more competitive when deimals make it obvious where firms are ripping you off. People will notice that 1.83 each side on a 2 way selection is a crap price more easily than they would 5/6 i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Decimals ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

would be interesting if they tried if properly for a test in bookies etc

they had that trial day at ascot but it was a complete failure, racing for change keep bringing out ideas but don't have the guts to try and implement them

also that trial day, it was decimals, but it was decimal to one eg. 0.8-1 as opposed to 1.8 like you'd find on betfair

so if two bookies were priced beside each other, punters would go for the 4/ over 0.8-1, thats what happened at ascot

I would like them to employ the betfair way if they did implement it, 1.8 etc

However how would the bookies react, | heard big mac say it would be a bad thing(the fact he said itm may mean the opposite though)

He reckons bookies would cut the prices handier with the fractions
    7/2 would go 4.5 to 4.6 to 4.7 to 4.9 and never touch 5 if decimals were introduced. but it would work the other way too, prices wouldnt plumment as fast, well so goes the therory

A MONTH TRIAL, see how it goes. Another question on that subject, would you like to see them get rid of furlongs, go to metres etc

Try and open up the scary horse racing game to the general public?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

And people are always talking of a "smart economy"? 'Learn how to use fractions and stop dumbing down maths for people.' I say. Its easy to work out fractions if someone explains is to you and you put a little bit of effort in.

Advertisement