Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farrier & Vet North Wicklow/South Dublin

Options
  • 05-09-2010 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi guys, Can anyone recommend a good farrier and an equine vet in North Wicklow/South Dublin area? Also does anyone keep their pony/horse at livery and allow them to be used also by the riding school? I'm looking to maybe stable my kids pony for the Winter but worry that he will get out of shape if not ridden frequently - does anyone else do this? Any suggestions welcomed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Yes it can be done, find a school where you want keep the pony, ring and ask if they do working livery ie you pay a small fee in exchange that they can use your pony for the school if suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ADDON

Yes it can be done, find a school where you want keep the pony, ring and ask if they do working livery ie you pay a small fee in exchange that they can use your pony for the school if suitable.
    ...and run the risk of the mouth being pulled off horse / pony by beginners. :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

It wouldn't be my preference, but some people do it. In a lot of cases, it's the only way they can afford to pay for the livery.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

I agree, even I wouldnt do it, if I have to put my pony to livery, I prefer private livery or DIY livery.

If you tight with money, if possible ask them when you and manager of riding school are writing up livery contract that they agreed not to use your pony for beginners.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

My Horse is used by the Fas students at the yard, they are all up to a good standard and give him a good workout. Always supervised by the Instructors

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TinaOT

Thanks for all the advice guys. We were very lucky to find a great farrier who had no prob coming out to us even though we just have the one pony. Havent decided on the livery yet - we are lucky enough to be able to keep him at home its just from the exercise side i have the concern. he has been so fresh the last few times the kids have had him out as they have not been riding every day - i've been taking him out just to run him for about half an hour before they go for a hack even though he is 17 he is still full of life. i considered a share but as he is only a 12.2 pony i doubt the demand would be there & certainly cant see many parents lining up to muck out at 6am on a cold morning before the school run!

Advertisement