Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloop

Options
  • 05-09-2010 4:08am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Reading about this a while back and didnt see a thread on it.

The Bloop is the name given to an ultra-low frequency and extremely powerful underwater sound detected by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) several times during 1997. The source of the sound remains unknown.
    According to the NOAA description, it "rises rapidly in frequency over about one minute and was of sufficient amplitude to be heard on multiple sensors, at a range of over 5,000 km." The NOAA's Dr. Christopher Fox does not believe its origin is human, such as a submarine or bomb, nor familiar geological events such as volcanoes or earthquakes. While the audio profile of the bloop does resemble that of a living creature, the source is a mystery both because it is different from known sounds and because it was far too loud: it was several times louder than the loudest known biological sound. Five other significant unexplained sounds have been named by NOAA: Julia, Train, Slowdown, Whistle, and Upsweep

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloop
    Soundclip of it. (Go to 0:54)

I would love to know what it is, very weird sound and hasnt been heard since the first time in 1997.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭demonspawn

I remember hearing about this when I was younger. It hasn't been heard since the mid 90s because it was wreaking havoc for our friends in the sea.

http://www.oceanmammalinst.org/mgpaper.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Sounds like HAARP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Interesting? Given it's (sort of) proximity to the Peru-Chile Trench, possibly it was an undiscovered creature from there? Or perhaps it was, as the NOAA originally hypothesized, the sound of ice caving in the Antarctic?

gizmo wrote: »
    Interesting? Given it's (sort of) proximity to the Peru-Chile Trench, possibly it was an undiscovered creature from there? Or perhaps it was, as the NOAA originally hypothesized, the sound of ice caving in the Antarctic?

Did you not read my post? It's the U.S. Navy experimenting with ultra low frequency sonar. :rolleyes: Unfortunately it was killing lots of marine life so they stopped the project.

demonspawn wrote: »
    Did you not read my post? It's the U.S. Navy experimenting with ultra low frequency sonar. :rolleyes: Unfortunately it was killing lots of marine life so they stopped the project.
    I read the Wiki page which contained quotes from NOAA personnel and also the fact that "The source of the sound remains unknown." I then read your post which mentioned some tests which were carried out off the coast of Hawaii. I don't see how both are connected bar the years in which they took place?

• Advertisement

gizmo wrote: »
    I read the Wiki page which contained quotes from NOAA personnel and also the fact that "The source of the sound remains unknown." I then read your post which mentioned some tests which were carried out off the coast of Hawaii. I don't see how both are connected bar the years in which they took place?
    It is the loudest sound ever put into the world's oceans. The U.S. Navy was planning to deploy it in 80% of the world's oceans at a level of 240 decibels in order to detect quiet submarines.
    While the audio profile of the bloop does resemble that of a living creature, the source is a mystery both because it is different from known sounds and because it was far too loud: it was several times louder than the loudest known biological sound.
    In 1996 LFA sonar during NATO exercises in the Mediterranean was correlated with a stranding of beaked whales.
    I would love to know what it is, very weird sound and hasnt been heard since the first time in 1997.

Well if you can't see the connection then there's really nothing I can do for you. I do believe in CTs, this just isn't one of them.

demonspawn wrote: »
    Well if you can't see the connection then there's really nothing I can do for you. I do believe in CTs, this just isn't one of them.
    Nothing you posted there provides any link between the two. The tests the Navy carried out were off the coast of Hawaii, the Bloop signal was traced to here.

On top of this, the report you include states that "According to the Navy's own test results on the bioeffects of low frequency (100-500 Hz, which is the frequency range of LFA) underwater sound on human divers, at 140-148 decibels a small number of divers rate their aversion to the sound as very severe." In contrast, The Bloop had a range of 10-45Hz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Whales humping

Magma displacement or some seismic anomaly.

See what it sounds like at 10x....

Advertisement