Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starter Video Camera?

Options
  • 05-09-2010 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

hi there
    I'm looking to get into making my own videos, starting with shorts.
    I've been through a million websites looking for advice on this.
    I am looking for a reasonably inexpensive camera, few hundred €, with good image quality, and sound, although if there would be a mic input this wouldn't be a huge problem.
    Image quality is the biggest thing with me, I like surrealist film and would hope to have very detailed imagery, can anyone help, not too fussed about High Def yet as I'm only starting out but if it's affordable I'll give it a go.

Thanks a mil!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

It'll cost you a few quid (probably around 1,200 quid), but I'd highly recommend the Canon 7D. I know you said you're not too fussed about HD but the picture quality is absolutely superb and a bargain considering what you'd be paying for a film camera with similar definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Have you made shorts before? if not, wouldn't be to concerned about the camera you use..you can do plenty with a camcorder aided by a little creativity and imagination:) (not suggesting you dont already have them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Ahbegob

If you are starting out and are not too fussed. I'd go down the Argos route. I'd pick a HD camcorder- not just because the picture is good- but it will be native widescreen- and therefore will help you frame subject matter properly before you spend money on something with more bells and whistles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 smiling sadly

Wolf Club wrote: »
    It'll cost you a few quid (probably around 1,200 quid), but I'd highly recommend the Canon 7D. I know you said you're not too fussed about HD but the picture quality is absolutely superb and a bargain considering what you'd be paying for a film camera with similar definition.

True, but it doesn't record sound.

Have a look for something like a canon hv10/20/30 - some of the older ones should be cheap. Great picture. Could possibly get a second hand one for about 4-500 quid?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Canon-VIXIA-HV30-Camcorder-HDV-25p-FullHD-PAL-/170551960013?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item27b5b061cd

• Registered Users Posts: 44 johnnystork

Like smiling sadly said, get a canon hv20/30/40 etc second hand from ebay. Does HD video at 24 fps and should be cheap enough under 400 euro I'd say.
    DSLRs are great but if your only starting and don't want to spend too much get the Canon HV.

Go to vimeo.com and search for "white red panic" its shot on HV20 with no 35mm dof adapter, just the camera.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuctifino

Canon 500d, second hand with a stock lens can be picked up for around €500. Thats what i did.

Ultimate point and shoot for beginners too, and it shoots in 720p 36fps, and 1080p @ 24fps

Ultimate ultimate machine.

Google "shot with canon 500d" or "film shot with canon 500d"

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Im pretty sure on 1080 the 500D only shoots at 20fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I got myself a 2nd hand Canon HV20 for €600 a while back on Ebay. Came with loads of batteries and lenses and besides a few cosmetic scratches on the casing it works a charm.

Excellent quality camera for recording in HD at 24fps.

If you're interested I have a Canon HV20 for sale. I had somebody interested but they havent got back to me and Im not holding it for them forever. Let me know anyway if you're interested. Its been mentioned by numerous posters above and theres a huge amount of reviews online that will tell you just how good it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

We've been using a canon 5D on a hidef production I'm on. We use it for VFX plates. Sorry you won't get a good picture and sound camera for less than a grand. Spend some extra on a mike and a sound recorder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Rorkimaru

Cannon EOS 60D

It's got video quality comparable to the 7D, a rotatable screen, manual audio settings

It's my dream camera at the moment. It's affordable yet excellent quality. I'm saving up for one at the moment.

Just to clarify, the 60D video is not similar to the 7D, its the same, as in...absolutely identical, as is the 550D. They have numerous variations in terms of still image shooting and operational controls but the standard of video they produce they are absolutely 100% identical. You only get a noticable difference going up to the 5Dmk2 and the 1Dmk4 which I can safely assume the original poster wouldnt have a need for.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

True, but it doesn't record sound.

Yes, it does. You can also attach an external mic.
    The auto focus can be a bit cumbersome during recording tho.

Advertisement