Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeal Maths?

Options
  • 04-09-2010 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

I got 269/600 in maths, one mark off a D2 and I'm considering appealing it but I'm not sure if I should as I'm afraid of losing the €40. I know that their job is to give all marks deserved etc. so I'm not looking for a miracle, just one mark :D Do you think there's a high chance the examiner would look for that one extra mark for me?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Was there any errors on the paper when you were viewing it? They won't put your mark up for no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

OP, I know how you feel - I'm 1 mark from an A1.
    They took 3 marks because i rewrote (-1(something))^2 as
    (something)^2, despite it being the same thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

Same here, I viewed my Biology script and found I got 89.5%-was thrilled thinking surely they round off percentages and someone had mistakingly given me the A2, but apparently not.
    So I need a further 2 marks to reach the A1. I sent mine off, hoping they'll find something...the worst of it was that in one section for 3 marks, I'd written 'the Next' instead of 'the Neck' (exam stress, I really can't account for it..) and gotten zero marks as a result.

That would've been enough to upgrade me on my best subject! Argh!!!

The upshot is, if you can at all, definitely send it away. I'm waiting to see what'll happen now...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

LadyGaga! wrote: »
    I got 269/600 in maths, one mark off a D2 and I'm considering appealing it but I'm not sure if I should as I'm afraid of losing the €40. I know that their job is to give all marks deserved etc. so I'm not looking for a miracle, just one mark :D Do you think there's a high chance the examiner would look for that one extra mark for me?

Surely you mean 239?

is there anywhere on the paper you think you can pick up a mark? Seriously, if you think there is a chance and a fail in maths is stopping you going to college or doing whatever you want to do, surely it's worth €40 to try and get the D2. In the general scheme of things, it's cheaper than repeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Agree with rainbowtrout. If you're short points for your course and this will get it for you money shouldn't be the issue. Anyways, it's too late now. Deadline has passed for appeals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Surely you mean 239?

is there anywhere on the paper you think you can pick up a mark? Seriously, if you think there is a chance and a fail in maths is stopping you going to college or doing whatever you want to do, surely it's worth €40 to try and get the D2. In the general scheme of things, it's cheaper than repeating.

Did you misread the post? The OP hasn't failed - (s)he got a D3 and was one mark short of a D2, (for which the borderline mark is 270).

Anyway, 239 wouldn't be a fail, since the cut-off point for D3 is 228.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Did you misread the post? The OP hasn't failed - (s)he got a D3 and was one mark short of a D2, (for which the borderline mark is 270).

Anyway, 239 wouldn't be a fail, since the cut-off point for D3 is 228.

yep, i'm only human

Advertisement