Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to stay a full-time student or go part-time

Options
  • 04-09-2010 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all

I'm new to boards and really need some good advice. I returned to college full-time last yr as a mature student married with 3 kids. I am due to return in 2 weeks and have a big problem, I was lucky enough to get a decent full-time job since start of the summer, and am now so afraid to leave to return to college, husband is carpenter so his job is so insecure its not funny. I'm doing business and have been looking into doing a diploma part-time, which will cost 3 grand each year for 2 years. I've been getting back to education allowance and the grant so will have it again this year. I'm trying to weigh up is it better to stay full-time and get my full degree or is the part-time route as good an option. It took me 13 years to get the chance of college and i really want to get my qualification to better my familys life, I've also worked all of my life barr the last year, Im sorry if im not very clear in my rant but any advice greatly appriciated, my head is a complete wreck trying to make the wisest decision for myself and my family:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,042 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

lenon12 wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm new to boards and really need some good advice. I returned to college full-time last yr as a mature student married with 3 kids. I am due to return in 2 weeks and have a big problem, I was lucky enough to get a decent full-time job since start of the summer, and am now so afraid to leave to return to college, husband is carpenter so his job is so insecure its not funny. I'm doing business and have been looking into doing a diploma part-time, which will cost 3 grand each year for 2 years. I've been getting back to education allowance and the grant so will have it again this year. I'm trying to weigh up is it better to stay full-time and get my full degree or is the part-time route as good an option. It took me 13 years to get the chance of college and i really want to get my qualification to better my familys life, I've also worked all of my life barr the last year, Im sorry if im not very clear in my rant but any advice greatly appriciated, my head is a complete wreck trying to make the wisest decision for myself and my family:confused:

BTEA and the grant are only for full time courses. If you did it part time you would lose them and then have to pay the 3 grand yourself - However you could get a 20% refund back on the course fees. I think you are a little bit mad to give up the BTEA and Grant but I can understand why you might go for that option

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I agree with post #2
    You should go back to college full time with all those financial incentives. You managed the first year ok so what's another few years?

Advertisement