Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just had my dog PTS

Options
  • 04-09-2010 9:36pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just back from the on-call Vet. Had to have my 14 and half year old lab PTS. My nieces birthday party was going on and he somehow ended up on the wrong side of the gate during the commings and goings. A man who has some cows in a field nearby delivered him home. He said he was trying to catch a dog who was having great craic chasing his cows and my dog had gone in to spectate. The cows took it out on him, he was crippled with arthiritis and had a previous injury to the ligaments in his back legs so there wasn't much hope of him running away. He had a kick to the jaw and broke one of his upper canines and possible had fractured his jaw. The Vet suggested giving him anti-biotics and keeping him in but he'd have been in pain for months with it. I just didn't think it would be fair to him this time to attempt to patch him up so unfortunatly had to make the decision to let him go. frown.gif

Not to sure why I came to post on here, I suppose it just helps to get it all out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

AJ I'm really sorry to hear this. its such a hard thing to deal with. you gave him a great life and despite the health problems he had he lived to a great age. I lost one of my dogs recently too so I know how you feel. my thoughts are with you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ah no, so sorry to hear this:(

You made the right decision though, you wouldnt want your pet suffering esp as hes had 14 wonderful years.

Run free at the bridge. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Oh no.

Having lost a cat lately (and I'm still crying over it tonight, even with 2 new ones), I know how it feels. I'm amazed at how it just breaks your heart.

I understand your pain OP, it's okay to hurt about it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Thanks, I'm glad I was able to make the decision at the right time and it's a bit more bareable as I have been preparing myself for the last few months as I may well have had to make this decision soon anyway. At least now he doesn't have to try and manage another Winter like last year and he's had a great last few months as he'd completely gelled with the new puppy and had almost as much fun watching her racing around wagging his tail like it was the next best thing to doing it himself.

I'm rather concerned by the sudden re-appearance of this other dog though as it was involved in the death of a horse with 2 others (same owners) at the beginning of summer and dissappeared afterwards. Her owners are away from 7am till 11pm and sometimes don't come back at all. I drove by the house a while ago to check if she'd gone home and she had but no sign of anyone home of I'd have gone in to let them know she'd been chasing cows. There was a dog barking at the back of the house which would make me suspect all 3 dogs are now back. The other 2 can't get out but the little one just climbs through post and rail fence. Not sure how to deal with this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Thanks, I'm glad I was able to make the decision at the right time and it's a bit more bareable as I have been preparing myself for the last few months as I may well have had to make this decision soon anyway. At least now he doesn't have to try and manage another Winter like last year and he's had a great last few months as he'd completely gelled with the new puppy and had almost as much fun watching her racing around wagging his tail like it was the next best thing to doing it himself.

I'm rather concerned by the sudden re-appearance of this other dog though as it was involved in the death of a horse with 2 others (same owners) at the beginning of summer and dissappeared afterwards. Her owners are away from 7am till 11pm and sometimes don't come back at all. I drove by the house a while ago to check if she'd gone home and she had but no sign of anyone home of I'd have gone in to let them know she'd been chasing cows. There was a dog barking at the back of the house which would make me suspect all 3 dogs are now back. The other 2 can't get out but the little one just climbs through post and rail fence. Not sure how to deal with this :(

I'm sorry about your dog, its so hard to say goodbye, but he's free of pain now and had a good life well loved by you.

I would be concerned about these dogs running free, and I'm surprised they are still around if chasing livestock. I would report the dogs roaming to the guards, as should the farmer who's cows were chased, surely the owners would get a visit and warning at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

So sorry for your loss. There is nothing worse than saying goodbye to a much loved friend/family member.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

mymo wrote: »
    I would be concerned about these dogs running free, and I'm surprised they are still around if chasing livestock. I would report the dogs roaming to the guards, as should the farmer who's cows were chased, surely the owners would get a visit and warning at least.

This is the first time they've been seen since the incident with the horses and everyone assumed they'd had them re-homed or something. They had quite a few complaints from people with kids, and a few people stopped walking by their house with their kids as they were always up at the fence growling with teeth bared. The bigger dogs were then closed in a run at the back of the house during the day after this, but they were letting them loose (not loose in their yard, just loose!) at night when they thought people wouldn't notice. This is how they got at the horses. It seems they just sent them away somewhere for a while to see if people would forget about them. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I would definitely report it, and urge the farmer to do so too. They don't sound like responsible owners and if something isn't done the dogs could well end up shot for bothering livestock, all because the owners are careless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Oh my goodness, what a tragedy, sorry to hear about your loss :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I'm so sorry op about your loss:(. Back in '94 I had a 14yr old dog that was put down and I was devastated. He was just old and had a skin problem, the vet visited when I was at work and my mam got him to put him down. I was in tears at work after ringing home and finding out... It's like losing a family member.

You totally did the right thing..imagine what your poor little pet would have to endure with the winter ahead trying to recover from his injuries:(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

sorry to hear about your dog i know how hard it is.
    YOU DID THE RIGHT THING
    sometimes the hardest decision is the best one

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

So sorry,it cant have been an easy decision to make:( xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭stooodent

Just back from the on-call Vet. Had to have my 14 and half year old lab PTS. My nieces birthday party was going on and he somehow ended up on the wrong side of the gate during the commings and goings. A man who has some cows in a field nearby delivered him home. He said he was trying to catch a dog who was having great craic chasing his cows and my dog had gone in to spectate. The cows took it out on him, he was crippled with arthiritis and had a previous injury to the ligaments in his back legs so there wasn't much hope of him running away. He had a kick to the jaw and broke one of his upper canines and possible had fractured his jaw. The Vet suggested giving him anti-biotics and keeping him in but he'd have been in pain for months with it. I just didn't think it would be fair to him this time to attempt to patch him up so unfortunatly had to make the decision to let him go. frown.gif

Not to sure why I came to post on here, I suppose it just helps to get it all out.

I know its hard but I made the terrible mistake of prolonging my dog of 14 yrs life it doesnt end pretty what you are doing is for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

stooodent wrote: »
    I know its hard but I made the terrible mistake of prolonging my dog of 14 yrs life it doesnt end pretty what you are doing is for the best.

I think we've all probably done similar, I certainly have and have lived to regret it.

OP, I'm sincerely sorry for your loss.

I dread the day I've to say goodbye to my guys.

Thanks again all for your thoughts. Unfortunately I was at work when it happened but according to my brother in law the farmer sounded very much like he wasn't going to let it go to easily. It's a pity it's so hard to get these people at home as I'd really like to see their reaction first hand. Very gratefull to the man for bringing him home. I'm thinking now that he could so easily have still been lying there at this stage and me out searching the country for him. He'd have had his work cut out getting him into the jeep, it took 3 of us here to lift him to take to the vets.

I think this is one of the most recent pictures I have.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=1088&pictureid=6802

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Sorry for your loss AJ, 14 years? Wow! Good long life, you did right thing would have been alot harder to watch him suffer in pain

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Yeah best wishes OP. Putting a dog down is very hard, but in the end, they can't feel pain anymore. The hardest part will be realising they won't be greeting you when you come in the door :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Deeanimallover

Oh my god Im balling reading this, so sorry your doggie had to go through that (and you) at least as you say the farmer brought him home to you - fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

It's really tough having to put your pet to sleep. Had to have it done to quite a few of my cats as they got cancer. It's the best thing to do though esp if they are suffering. You did the right thing.

Not sure about the whole neigbours and dogs thing. No point in saying anything to them yourself as that will most likely cause a neighbourly war which is never pretty. Call the guards I guess or someone in authority like that who can issue them with a warning. Or maybe they can advise them to give the dogs or one or two of them away to a home that will have more time for them?

I called the dog warden and he said there had been another report so I guess the farmer rang them as well. Good luck to him getting them at home though!

<Edit> I've just heard another neighbour's dog, a highly trained gun-dog was waiting for him when he arrived home from work today with a broken jaw! She had to be pts as well! He lives a fair bit away, at least 2 and half miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Thibor

I'm so sorry for your loss mate.
    I had to have my dog (and for a few tough years, my best friend) of 15 years put down in March of this year. He was tough little cookie too, had a leg torn off a few backs too and adapted really quickly (even learned to guilt us into getting him extra treats). It was the hardest thing I've ever gone through, so I know exactly how you feel.

While it does sound like an empty statement and a small gesture, you're guy IS in a better place and you done him a favour.
    I still have to stop myself from calling mine when I get in the door and in that little instant that I remember just before I call out to him I get a little lump in my throat (I'm actually getting upset now thinking about it).
    It's gonna hurt for a while, but you will get over it, it just seems to take forever sometimes.
    If it does make you feel any better, you've got years of memories to look back over and laugh at. It helps me anyway

Advertisement