Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Chuck Feeney's agenda in Ireland?

Options
  • 04-09-2010 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭

Not that I am disagreeing but what is his agenda funding heavily into the irish gay lesbian transgender grouping?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

"I had one idea that never changed in my mind — that you should use your wealth to help people."

Maybe he's just a genuinely good guy, helping a group that are being discriminated against by people who just don't know better?

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Moral subversion?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Moral subversion?

Gay people are immoral?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

humanji wrote: »
    "I had one idea that never changed in my mind — that you should use your wealth to help people."

Maybe he's just a genuinely good guy, helping a group that are being discriminated against by people who just don't know better?

why not travellers?

why not Irish speakers?

Moral subversion?

whilst I wouldn't personally describe it as such, it is odd to heavily fund one particular discriminated group over all others including inner city children or those areas very much in need of regeneration in Limerick for instance?

sligopark wrote: »
    why not travellers?

why not Irish speakers?

whilst I wouldn't personally describe it as such, it is odd to heavily fund one particular discriminated group over all others including inner city children or those areas very much in need of regeneration in Limerick for instance?
    The Atlantic Philanthropies (AP) is a private foundation created in 1982 by US businessman Charles F. "Chuck" Feeney. The Atlantic Philanthropies grant-making supports health and social projects in Australia, Bermuda, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, South Africa, the United States and Viet Nam. It one of the largest charitable donor in each of the countries in which it operates,[1] and is the single largest funder of ageing and of comprehensive immigration reform in the United States. [2][3][4]Since 2007, Atlantic Philanthropies is focused increasingly on social justice grant-making.
    Examples of AP grant-making

Australia
    In Australia, AP has invested up to $250m and is one of the key benefactors to Queensland University, funding a project to build the Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology (AIBN). AP also supported the Institute for Molecular Bioscience (IMB), Queensland Brain Institute as well as the refurbished James and Mary Emelia Mayne Center housing the University of Queensland art collection. [23]

Republic of Ireland
    AP has invested over $1 billion in third-level education on the island of Ireland, funding research facilities at the University of Limerick and Dublin City University as well as a library and sports facility at Trinity College Dublin. [24]

AP's grants to Irish education are credited with helping initiate a boom in the Irish economy in the 1990s [25].

AP has indicated that it will grant €80 million in Ireland in 2009 to children, elderly and human rights projects.[26]

The goals of its Reconciliation & Human Rights Programme in the Republic of Ireland are to strengthen the central human rights infrastructure and to improve access to justice and services for immigrants, people with disabilities and the LGBTI community.

For a comprehensive list of past grants by The Atlantic Philanthropies in Ireland see the Irish Times - list of AP grants (2002). More about Atlantic's current funding in the Republic of Ireland is detailed here.[27]

United States
    In March 2009, AP pledged $125 million to the University of California, San Francisco to fund a state-of-the-art medical center at the Mission Bay campus. The single largest grant The Atlantic Philanthropies has ever given, it brings the total amount of support to UCSF to $270 million. [28]

In 2008-10 AP pledged over $25 million to Health Care for America Now (HCAN) to support their efforts to pass the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010.[29]

Vietnam
    Partnering with the East Meets West Foundation (EMW), The Atlantic Philanthropies is funding the Hue Ophthalmology and Training Center, a $4 million addition to Hue Central Hospital. Due for completion by the end of 2009, the project aims to significantly upgrade treatment of severe eye illnesses. [30]

This is just one of a number of health projects AP has funded in Vietnam. The Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung has publicly thanked The Atlantic Philanthropies for helping to improve the country's health system. [31]

Maybe it would be worth reading who he actually gave his money to... http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/special/2002/feeney/index.htm
    Giving money to children charity's and Universities the scumbag.

And he's an old man what should he do with his money?

• Advertisement

meglome wrote: »
    Maybe it would be worth reading who he actually gave his money to

yes I did :rolleyes:
    The goals of its Reconciliation & Human Rights Programme in the Republic of Ireland are to strengthen the central human rights infrastructure and to improve access to justice and services for immigrants, people with disabilities and the LGBTI community.

the question I asked was - why when the Irish justice system affords the LGBTI community full access to human rights would he think they required further funding past this?

Why not travellers for instance?

Whats Australia got to do with it?

Let me help you with that.
    http://www.atlanticphilanthropies.org/region/republic-ireland

yes I did :rolleyes:

the question I asked was - why when the Irish justice system affords the LGBTI community full access to human rights would he think they required further funding past this?

As of the end of 2009, AP has made grants totaling more than $5 billion since 1982 and plans to spend its remaining $4 billion endowment by 2017

So how much of the $5 billion did he give to LGBT organisations?

Huh??!? Who asked about Australia and what has that page got to do with Australia?

So how much of the $5 billion did he give to LGBT organisations?

You didn't answer his question.

Not particularly interested in Australia tbh my OP was what is Chuck Feeny's agenda in Ireland?

I do notice in your link there is no mention of the LGBTI community - is there a reason why?

• Advertisement

You didn't answer his question.
    Not particularly interested in Australia tbh my OP was what is Chuck Feeny's agenda in Ireland?

I do notice in your link there is no mention of the LGBTI community - is there a reason why?

Okay sorry if I wasn't clear. We have a man here who is giving all his money quietly away to good causes. It kinda warms my heart to see all the good causes which got money. But instead of applauding that in any way, shape or form the OP has a go at money he supposedly gave to LGBT organisations. I asked how much of the $5 billion went to them because I can find no mention of it so far. My guess is therefore it's a small enough amount of money if it happened at all. So given the scale of his donations in Ireland it would seem highly unlikely he has any 'agenda' where it comes to LGBT people other than a general interest in fairness and openness, which is reflected in all his donations.

That any better for you?

I notice you didn't answer my question btw
    Gay people are immoral?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Probably because of the fact that despite their rights being enshrined in law, they are often mistreated by many people in this country and therefore non-state bodies which provide support and information to the public need funding.

As for Travellers, perhaps he hasn't gotten around to them yet? Or perhaps he feels they have adequate representation with the likes of Pavee Point?

gizmo wrote: »
    Probably because of the fact that despite their rights being enshrined in law, they are often mistreated by many people in this country and therefore non-state bodies which provide support and information to the public need funding.

As for Travellers, perhaps he hasn't gotten around to them yet? Or perhaps he feels they have adequate representation with the likes of Pavee Point?

ah please some real discussion or further info to my OP - please thank you

Gay people are immoral?
    I notice you didn't answer my question btw

sorry you asked this of brown bomber not me but now you have directed it at me I ll redirect this to my OP
    Not that I am disagreeing but what is his agenda funding heavily into the irish gay lesbian transgender grouping?

Okay sorry if I wasn't clear. We have a man here who is giving all his money quietly away to good causes. It kinda warms my heart to see all the good causes which got money. But instead of applauding that in any way, shape or form the OP has a go at money he supposedly gave to LGBT organisations. I asked how much of the $5 billion went to them because I can find no mention of it so far. My guess is therefore it's a small enough amount of money if it happened at all. So given the scale of his donations in Ireland it would seem highly unlikely he has any 'agenda' where it comes to LGBT people other than a general interest in fairness and openness, which is reflected in all his donations.

That any better for you?

thank you - much clearer and easier argued against.

I too applaud this sort of thing when money is handed over however more often than not we find out the ulterior motive and agenda - for instance Bill Gates and vaccines - not only does he want to perpetuate pharmaceutical comapny profit he wants to further eugenics and world population control as per his TED lecture.

My question is what is Chuck Feeny's agenda here in Ireland given explicit donation is not mentioned on his website or media releases?

What was wrong with the response I gave? You asked what his agenda was and I answered saying it was probably because he feels that sector of society and the bodies who support it need funding. I don't really think he has an ulterior motive, especially given the fact he's donated over a billion dollars to universities in this country, a figure which dwarfs what he's given to the LGBT groups.

thank you - much clearer and easier argued against.

I too applaud this sort of thing when money is handed over however more often than not we find out the ulterior motive and agenda - for instance Bill Gates and vaccines - not only does he want to perpetuate pharmaceutical comapny profit he wants to further eugenics and world population control as per his TED lecture.

I could get into just how wrong I believe your opinion is on this but it's not the topic at hand.
    My question is what is Chuck Feeny's agenda here in Ireland given explicit donation is not mentioned on his website or media releases?

Well to discover any possible agenda I looked at his stated aims, then looked at who he gave money too. And what I found was his stated aims match up almost identically with where the money went. Which then tells me that the 80ish Chuck Feeney is most probably trying to do good with this money since he can't take it with him when he dies.

I think you missed the bit where I can't even find he gave any money to LGBT organisations. Maybe it might be an idea for you to actually prove he 'heavily' funds them. Then once we do that maybe you can lay out why you think he has an agenda.

gizmo wrote: »
    he's donated over a billion dollars to universities in this country, a figure which dwarfs what he's given to the LGBT groups.

where are you getting this figure of billions from?

I believe the figure I was told was €1 - 2 million toward LBGT groups

I could get into just how wrong I believe your opinion is on this but it's not the topic at hand.

sorry haven't alluded to my opinion other than I think the money given to LBGT groups entails an agenda especially when it is not alluded to anywhere I can find

Well to discover any possible agenda I looked at his stated aims, then looked at who he gave money too. And what I found was his stated aims match up almost identically with where the money went.

Me too until I realised how much was going to a group well protected politically and legally and wondered - why?

II think you missed the bit where I can't even find he gave any money to LGBT organisations. Maybe it might be an idea for you to actually prove he 'heavily' funds them. Then once we do that maybe you can lay out why you think he has an agenda.

You didn't miss it - its not there. I was told of it from another chap who is gay and who during discussion asked why?

His point was it something subversive toward the LBGT group and was he perhaps trying to subvert it with funding and leave it high and dry?

sorry haven't alluded to my opinion other than I think the money given to LBGT groups entails an agenda especially when it is not alluded to anywhere I can find

You specially mentioned you think Bill Gates is up to no good while giving his money away.
    Me too until I realised how much was going to a group well protected politically and legally and wondered - why?

You didn't miss it - its not there. I was told of it from another chap who is gay and who during discussion asked why?

His point was it something subversive toward the LBGT group and was he perhaps trying to subvert it with funding and leave it high and dry?

So what we have here is some bloke told you Chuck Feeney has given 1-2 million to LGBT organisations. Now as much as I've been called a sceptic this is really just hot air so far. You'll really have to do better than that or I'll just assume this whole thing is bull.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

So can we have a link detailing the "heavy funding" provided by Atlantic Philantrophies to the IGLT grouping to provide some context to this discussion? How much is involved? How does it compare against other social justice funding provided in Ireland by AP? What evidence is there that there is any agenda at all involved except a commitment to social justice?

The majority of funding provided by Feeney / AP over the years in Ireland has been to third level education. In recent years, the focus has turned to children, the elderly, social justice and human rights.

I have never seen any evidence that Feeney has any agenda except to do some good with his admittedly vast fortune while he is still alive to take pleasure in it. I wish there were a few more of him around tbh.

where are you getting this figure of billions from?

I believe the figure I was told was €1 - 2 million toward LBGT groups
    The billion dollar figure given to Irish education has been thrown around quite a bit, I personally came across it when someone mentioned his philanthropy while I was in DCU. Both it and University of Limerick were big beneficiaries from that funding, I believe Trinity received a significant amount also. Here's a link to where it was mentioned in a New York Times article.

Looking at some of Feeney/APs other contributions, I'd consider €1-2m to be a pretty small figure.

You specially mentioned you think Bill Gates is up to no good while giving his money away.

he has his own agenda past world peace and love and has stated so publicly - eugencis and population control in his TED lectures - its no secret

So what we have here is some bloke told you Chuck Feeney has given 1-2 million to LGBT organisations.

not quite some bloke but I take your point (more than you have taken mine) sorry if I have wound you up in some way

How much is involved?

trying to get to the bottom of this myself - isn't available on any of their websites... will put this to my mate tomorrow when we speak

• Advertisement

not quite some bloke but I take your point (more than you have taken mine) sorry if I have wound you up in some way

trying to get to the bottom of this myself - isn't available on any of their websites... will put this to my mate tomorrow when we speak

I can find nothing odd about how Feeney has given out his money. Then I have you openly admitting a Gay friend told you Chuck Feeney had given money to LGBT organisations for some unknown nefarious reason. So on one hand we have a documented history of Chuck Feeney giving away money to good causes and on the other hand we have some bloke on the internet who is making allegations of something bad, not sure what, without any proof whatsoever. You'll forgive me if I am not taking what you or your friend say seriously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

he has his own agenda past world peace and love and has stated so publicly - eugencis and population control in his TED lectures - its no secret

No what he said has been misconstrued and distorted.

Actually, grants up to 2009 are listed here. There may be a later round which hasn't been uploaded as yet, I don't know. If you click the box beside Ireland it will filter for grants awarded here.

A quick glance back over the last couple of years shows a couple of grants to the GLBT 'sector' certainly ... nothing that strikes me as inordinately high (in AP terms!) given that one of their foci in recent years has been on issues of social justice / equality / human rights.

Just for comparative purposes, they awarded over €2 million to the Alzheimer's Society of Northern Ireland, and over €1 million to the Active Retirement Network. What agenda do those grants represent, I wonder?

I'm sorry, sligopark, I don't mean to be rude, but it seems to me that the 'agenda' is in the eye of the beholder.

Di0genes wrote: »
    No what he said has been misconstrued and distorted.

sorry no it hasn't he has openly stated he wishes to see the introduction of population control via vaccines and he is proud of his conviction - it just isn't well advertised

perhaps be informed before claiming something different

I can find nothing odd about how Feeney has given out his money. Then I have you openly admitting a Gay friend told you Chuck Feeney had given money to LGBT organisations for some unknown nefarious reason. So on one hand we have a documented history of Chuck Feeney giving away money to good causes and on the other hand we have some bloke on the internet who is making allegations of something bad, not sure what, without any proof whatsoever. You'll forgive me if I am not taking what you or your friend say seriously.

your right of course I ll come back with some more info - but until then perhaps reflect on why LGBT groups other than others and what if it was suddenly withdrawn as myself and my friend did

And will he fund any particular presidency campaign ...

why?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

sorry no it hasn't he has openly stated he wishes to see the introduction of population control via vaccines and he is proud of his conviction - it just isn't well advertised

Please provide a source for this claim.
    perhaps be informed before claiming something different

Oh I am informed, you're completely wrong.

your right of course I ll come back with some more info - but until then perhaps reflect on why LGBT groups other than others and what if it was suddenly withdrawn as myself and my friend did

Your friend?

Irrelevant speculation.

I watched that TED talk and I must say, when he first said it I was genuinely surprised. How could vaccines, health care and reproductive health services actually lower the population growth? Well after looking into it, it seems there is some logic behind it. It's certainly an interesting way of looking at it alright but the fact of the matter is, his foundation is a massive benefactor to the research and deployment of vaccinations which target two of the biggest killers of children under the ages of five, pneumonia and diarrhea, so I wouldn't really want to second guess the guy too much. :)

Back on topic though, randylonghorn has given you plenty of information there to digest which I believe may answer your question.

Atlantic Philantrophies certainly won't.

I very much doubt that Feeney would have the slightest interest in his personal capacity either.

Advertisement