Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts Subjects

Options
  • 04-09-2010 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

I am stuck for a fourth subject, I plan on doing secondary teaching with my subjects, or maybe Primary.. But I want to have 3 teaching subjects so I can keep my options open for 2nd year. I have Geography, History and Politics so far, but I am stuck for a 4th.. English would be a good choice but I'm not too sure.. I'm not great at English.. I got a c2 in my Leaving Cert, a few people have told me that it doesnt matter what you get in the Leaving Cert, but I dont want to take on something that I am not capable of.. I do like English though!! Im fairly useless at languages and maths aswell :( I dont like them either so theres no point in keeping on French or German or maths. I was thinking of maybe History of Art aswell or Religions and Global Diversity??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

cork*girl wrote: »
    I am stuck for a fourth subject, I plan on doing secondary teaching with my subjects, or maybe Primary.. But I want to have 3 teaching subjects so I can keep my options open for 2nd year. I have Geography, History and Politics so far, but I am stuck for a 4th.. English would be a good choice but I'm not too sure.. I'm not great at English.. I got a c2 in my Leaving Cert, a few people have told me that it doesnt matter what you get in the Leaving Cert, but I dont want to take on something that I am not capable of.. I do like English though!! Im fairly useless at languages and maths aswell :( I dont like them either so theres no point in keeping on French or German or maths. I was thinking of maybe History of Art aswell or Religions and Global Diversity??

Based on what you asked, Greek and Roman civilisation is a handy fourth subject. It's handy, very interesting, continous assessment is ok and the department is fine. The subject skips through History, life, art, literature etc.

The book of modules' description is here

If you've an interest in history, it should be handy here but just a drawback: it requires a bit of work as there's a good few different elements/lecturers in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

Ignore the Leaving Cert. Take on what you have an interest in. English is excellent.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Stephen_89

NicoleL88 wrote: »
    Ignore the Leaving Cert. Take on what you have an interest in. English is excellent.:D

i'll all for that, the leaving is a pile of piss! the english exam in the leaving is based on learning **** loads of crap and not so much on your own insights to the text and an original approach, even though they say it is....english in college is much different, ya you have the syntax and spelling all that jazz but your opinions and how you back them up are most important, i didn't do two well in the leaving in english but i'm doing grand in it in college, doing a single honours in it(50credits). hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pn7xjrqy6fhta1

Doing Arts as well. I want to go down the Journalism/Media route. Im thinkig of doing English and History. Maybe Politics and Geography. Wouldnt mind doing Sociology. What are the best subjects for Journalism.

Advertisement