Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first year arts... English or Economics?

Options
  • 04-09-2010 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Hey I'm currently trying to pick my subjects for arts but i am undecided on a few subjects.i am stuck between English and economics as i have heard economics is fairly hard. i am thinking of doing Geography and Chinese Studies so if anyone could give me advice on them aswell would be much appreciated!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Padraig_joe

Just finished first year economics myself, I have to say it wasn't that hard, the material is fairly straightforward and it's fairly easy to follow. I thought you'd have to be great at maths to be able to do it, but that wasn't the case at all. I have to say I didn't work as hard at it as I could have done, and I still came out with a high 2.1 in the summer exam so I wouldn't be worried that it's hard if I were you. One thing is though that we had loads of tests and essays during the year compared to other subjects, which kinda annoyed me, but then again that means you don't have to worry as much going into the summer exam as you've a good bit of the assessment already done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

English is great. You do have essays and tests to do but you'll have to do that in every subject. It's grand, just do the reading, go to lectures and take the notes and you'll do great. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Stephen_89

hi there, i'm a final year arts student this year, doing a single honours english, it's great, the lecturers on the course are really friendly and approachable, work load is managable, if you do the reading, and the essays are grand usually, didn't do economics though sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

langer91 wrote: »
    Hey I'm currently trying to pick my subjects for arts but i am undecided on a few subjects.i am stuck between English and economics as i have heard economics is fairly hard. i am thinking of doing Geography and Chinese Studies so if anyone could give me advice on them aswell would be much appreciated!! :D

Hey langer91, didnt do Arts myself, however I think you would be interested in Celtic Civ, Latin or maybe something like Folklore or Greek & Roman Civ! What happened to Australia? Thought you were planning on heading away for a year :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Economics is great for recession and debates with friends! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I did English for three weeks and dropped it to go into Economics. Loved Economics, especially the Behavioural module with Frank, he's absolutely brilliant. Very interactive classes with him and Robbie anyway, filled with movie clips, youtube and competitions :)

Advertisement