Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of a dilemma. Advice much appreciated. :)

Options
  • 04-09-2010 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

So, I'm seventeen right now. I have been living in the countryside for the past few years, since I was about twelve. And just as I became old enough to get a part-time job, the recession hit and there was no work available. I applied to loads of places, but I was turned down every time. Therefore, I have no experience in any sort of job.

Now, I'm up in Dublin for college and I REALLY need a job. But no place will touch me because I have no kind of previous experience. This is really getting me down, because I need the money quite badly, but every place I hand my CV into just smiles and says, "Thanks, but we're not looking for anyone right now."

Does anyone have any advice on how I could get myself out of this mess? I would be very grateful for any information at all. :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

It really is a shíte situation, and from my experience looking for my first job it's usually not about what you know (which, tbh, is probably little without any experience) but who you know. Or your parents/relatives.

If you really have absolutely NOBODY who can get you in anywhere, another good idea would be to work for free somewhere for a while and get trained up. Yeah, sounds crazy. Just ask if you can work a month for free to get some experience in a local pub or (although it's probably less likely) a shop, or a restaurant. If they actually consider it, you're lucky, and if they take you on, there's the possibility they'll keep you on.

Best of luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Same as above, you can always say you will work for free, maybe not for a month, but perhaps two weeks.
    Then ask the employer if they want to keep you on. If they see you as a competent worker, then chances are they will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 vicksterchick

Thanks, guys! :p Brilliant idea, never entered my head to do anything like that. I'll get on it right away. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I know this doesn't necessarily solve your money problem, but my sister's around your age, and to gain a bit of experience she did some work in a local charity shop. The hours were unpaid, but pretty flexible, and she now she has a pretty good reference out of it.

If you're going to college in Dublin there's bound to be plenty of small on-campus jobs you could get- even something as simple as handing out leaflets might earn you a few quid.

Giving grinds to Leaving Cert students in a certain subject might get you a bit too.

Most shops will just be getting rid of their part-time summer staff at this point, so don't be too down. Once the Christmas period rolls around big stores like Tesco, Dunnes, Penneys etc. will be hiring again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Most shops will just be getting rid of their part-time summer staff at this point, so don't be too down. Once the Christmas period rolls around big stores like Tesco, Dunnes, Penneys etc. will be hiring again.
    Not really, in fact, it's probably a good time to go looking. Lots of 2nd level students who are working part-time will probably be working with reduced hours or leaving for the year. There is no massive drop in customers however, unless you're applying somewhere that's season-dependent, like a swimming pool or something.

So basically, shops and places will possibly be looking for people to replace their summer staff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

jumpguy wrote: »
    Not really, in fact, it's probably a good time to go looking. Lots of 2nd level students who are working part-time will probably be working with reduced hours or leaving for the year. There is no massive drop in customers however, unless you're applying somewhere that's season-dependent, like a swimming pool or something.

So basically, shops and places will possibly be looking for people to replace their summer staff!

I don't know, I was summer staff in the job I just finished, we were given the boot and the shop kept just a few established part-timers (university students who've been there a few years) on for the weekends.

It's probably different other places, I'm just speaking from personal experience.

Advertisement