Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seahawks release Houshmandzadeh.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He's due $7m this year and Coach doesn't like him/feels he has better opitions. Smart decision imo, was never worth the contract he got. Still I hope the Raiders give him a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

If he joins Madden's old team does this mean he'll stop "boycotting" his game. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,213 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This has been on the cards since Mike Williams showed up with his stuff back together in camp. They like what Deon Butler and Golden Tate bring to the table, and are in a rebuilding mode across the whole roster so have decided to save some cash and go young. Branch brings some veteran experience to the table relatively inexpensively, and is a contrast to Williams / Tate in terms of style.

Williams rejuvenating himself is easily the most amazing story of this entire offseason. I literally cannot believe that he has managed to get himself in shape physically and mentally. He looked certain to go down as one of the more epic draft busts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Williams rejuvenating himself is easily the most amazing story of this entire offseason. I literally cannot believe that he has managed to get himself in shape physically and mentally. He looked certain to go down as one of the more epic draft busts.

+1 100% agreed. It's remarkable how he's turned it around, the guy is ridiculously talented but that year out after the draft incident was huge. Would love to see him do well this year, but it's gonna be tough. Matt Hasselbeck is past it, so this year is gonna be about bedding in the new QB Charlie Whitehurst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Archimedes wrote: »
    +1 100% agreed. It's remarkable how he's turned it around, the guy is ridiculously talented but that year out after the draft incident was huge. Would love to see him do well this year, but it's gonna be tough. Matt Hasselbeck is past it, so this year is gonna be about bedding in the new QB Charlie Whitehurst.

I don't think he's passed it, a fully fit Hasselbeck is still dangerous.

• Advertisement

I don't think he's passed it, a fully fit Hasselbeck is still dangerous.

Fully fit, yes. But what are the chances he'll ever be fully fit again? He's 35 now, and has been banged up quite a bit which has sadly taken it's toll. That offensive line isn't gonna protect him either, 41 sacks last year - and that was with Rob Sims who won't be around this season. Hasselbeck was a quality quarterback, I always had time for him, but his best days are well and truly behind him.

As for Housh, didn't he have surgery this summer too? He'll be a risky acquisition for whoever takes him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

We will see, I still think there's life in the old dog yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Fully fit, yes. But what are the chances he'll ever be fully fit again? He's 35 now, and has been banged up quite a bit which has sadly taken it's toll. That offensive line isn't gonna protect him either, 41 sacks last year - and that was with Rob Sims who won't be around this season. Hasselbeck was a quality quarterback, I always had time for him, but his best days are well and truly behind him.

As for Housh, didn't he have surgery this summer too? He'll be a risky acquisition for whoever takes him.

Seattle obviously think he's worth a shot. I'd be with Royal on this, Hasselbeck is a much better QB than given credit for.

davyjose wrote: »
    Seattle obviously think he's worth a shot. I'd be with Royal on this, Hasselbeck is a much better QB than given credit for.

I dunno, Seattle seem to see his best days are behind him too. I can see Whitehurst being the numbr 1 QB there by Week 6. Definitely be the starting the QB by the end of the season anyway.

I dunno, Seattle seem to see his best days are behind him too. I can see Whitehurst being the numbr 1 QB there by Week 6. Definitely be the starting the QB by the end of the season anyway.

I don't for a moment think that the Seahawks are starting someone they don't expect to see the season through.

I'm not saying your wrong, but as i said, I think the seahawks (and myself, and Royal, and i suspect many others) think Hasselbeck can do a job this season. If that does not come to pass, fair enough. As it stands though, Hasselbeck is their QB for the season.

• Advertisement

I don't for a moment think that the Seahawks are starting someone they don't expect to see the season through.

I'm not saying your wrong, but as i said, I think the seahawks (and myself, and Royal, and i suspect many others) think Hasselbeck can do a job this season. If that does not come to pass, fair enough. As it stands though, Hasselbeck is their QB for the season.

Hasselbeck can do a job this season, yes. But with that terrible O-line in front of him, and the fact injuries have taken their toll on him, it won't be a very good one. His decline towards the end of last year was appalling. He looked like a QB who just didn't have it in him any more, tossing the ball carelessly to avoid sacks. He only had 5.5 yards per attempt in the last 3 weeks of the season, 3 TD's and 9 picks. He looked like a QB very much in decline. Now Im not saying that Whitehurst is better, but the Seahawks are a team who are rebuilding - they drafted excellently this offseason - but they need to give a lot of playing time to Whitehurst this year, I just don't think it will all come straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 b2thaza

Totally understand this move, 'Hawks are rebuilding, they wont be contending for anything this year, except a top 10 draft choice in 2011!!

Have a feeling that Housh will end up with the vikings, they were in for him big last year, and during last season he even publicly said he would have chose the vikings over the seahawks had he known Favre was going to be their qb
    (note he said this when the hawks were on a mad losing streak, and not when he was robbing them blind for that huge contract!! :D )

As for Hasselbeck, I think he's too over the hill to be elite again, and I have a feeling that that Whitehurst isn't the answer too (only on a 2 year contract) I'd say if a good YOUNG QB is free in FA next year they will push hard for him, otherwise it'll be another bright eyed rookie getting nightmare's of facing the likes of Patrick Willis and Darnell Dockett twice a year!! :D

on a side note, anyone feel that Sam Bradford can take the Rams over the 'Hawks this year?? :)

Points taken, but lads, he's 6 months older than Peyton Manning, and about 6 years younger than Favre. I genuinely don't believe he's past it. If he ever gets to the level he once played at is another matter, but i don't believe it's beyond him.

The O-line is another matter. it may affect him, but no more or less than it would any other QB. I genuinely believe (and i think Pete Carroll agrees) that he's Seattle's best option*.

*I've said it 3 times now, so i won't say it again :D

b2thaza wrote: »

on a side note, anyone feel that Sam Bradford can take the Rams over the 'Hawks this year?? :)

Absolutely not. I kinda feel Bradford will get hurt this year, sadly.

Points taken, but lads, he's 6 months older than Peyton Manning, and about 6 years younger than Favre. I genuinely don't believe he's past it. If he ever gets to the level he once played at is another matter, but i don't believe it's beyond him.

The O-line is another matter. it may affect him, but no more or less than it would any other QB. I genuinely believe (and i think Pete Carroll agrees) that he's Seattle's best option*.

Peyton Manning has started 192 consecutive games for the Colts though. He hasn't missed a game for them since he's been there back in 1998 (compared to Hasselbeck, who has only played 16 games a season 4 times from the 9 years he's been there). It's a totally different situation, because Manning's awareness in the pocket is second to none, which helps him avoid taking the number of hits Hasselbeck does. Longevity only comes into play when you can protect yourself. The reason Manning can still play at such a high level, even if you ignore talent alone, is because he's so well protected by both himself and his linemen. As for the O-line, I think you're underestimating their importance. If Hasselbeck had a decent one in front of him, he wouldn't take half as many hits. He'd have more time to find open receivers, he would be less wary of taking hits and thus wouldn't rush his passes (which he did a lot last year), and would probably be still playing at a relatively high level. Once again, I'm not saying Whitehurst is a better option, but Hasselbeck is past his best, and that's due to his age combined with the number of injuries he's had, which is a result of a poor offensive line.

I agree with you about Bradford though, he will take a lot of punishment this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,754 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Back on topic:p

Housh just agreed terms with the Ravens.

They have a very serious set of wideouts now, Derrick Mason, Anquain Bolden, Housh, Donte Stallworth and Mark Clayton. Thats kinda scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

He's signed on a years contract. When I saw he was released I said to myself he'd be a great player to sign. Let's hope playing the bungles twice a yr can re-energize him. Plus he needed to be signed cos Stallworth will be out a long time with injury

Funny thing is, despite signing Anquan Boldin and TJ Houshmanzdasdzdaddafz, Derrick Mason will still be Joe Flacco's go to guy if preseason is anything to go by.

eagle eye wrote: »

They have a very serious set of wideouts now, Derrick Mason, Anquain Bolden, Housh, Donte Stallworth and Mark Clayton. Thats kinda scary.

They have a mediocre QB though.

Clayton's been traded to the Rams earlier today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,754 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

They have a mediocre QB though.
    That remains to be seen, I'm not sold on him by any means, but he was going well last year early in the season. Most QBs go through that rough patch in their second year, Matt Ryan did too last year, so he could well bounce back this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Cory Redding, Hous and Josh Wilson all signed this off season
    Ravens are becoming Seattle lite :D

Not forgetting Bulger and Boldin, also from NFC West

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Boldin is in the postion he was trying to get out of in Arizona at the start of last season again, only perhaps with an even more loaded deck and a less seasoned QB. Have pity on the poor soul!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

eagle eye wrote: »

€850,000 for the year. Seems like a snip.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

€850,000 for the year. Seems like a snip.

I think he'd have signed for "1dolla" since the Seahawks just handed him 7million they owed him. If he plays well he'll get a good contract next year.

Advertisement