Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESPNPlayer Resolution Issues

Options
  • 04-09-2010 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Just got ESPN College pass to watch "my" Georgia Bulldogs in their season opener a few hours from now - go Dawgs!
    Having problems with the resolution and need some help. I had this same service last year with no issues - on an older laptop. My new laptop has default resolution of 1024 x 768 and 32 bit color. The old one would have been much lower.
    The issue is that when I choose a match to watch the initial video is a small square within the framed viewing area. Last year it filled that area. The resolution is very crisp - as you might expect with such a small image. When I click to full screen it become very, very pixellated.
    What I've done so far is 1) check two browsers (Firefox and Chrome) with same results, 2) checked a video on YouTube and it looks clear at full screen and 3) reduced the resolution to 800 x 600 with no improvement.
    Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,213 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hiya mate. I have the exact same issue. I sent an email into them last night and have yet to receive a response. I've attached a screenshot of what I'm receiving - you getting the same thing?

Additionally, when I click on a live game in progress it won't load up and I'm receiving a simple message that says "error" where it would normally list the time the video has been playing.

A bit annoyed, they promise an email response within 12 hours and their live chat service times out after 15 minutes or so with no operator arriving.

I assume this is simply a service problem on their end. I've subscribed to this service for the last few years with no issues whatsoever. If it doesn't resolve by next weekend they'll be giving me a full refund!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭PhotogTom

Yep same thing I'm getting. Tried on several computers and browsers with same results. Also, when I click on the full screen - it comes through with really bad quality. Same for you?
    If you can, let me know what they come back to you with. I'll drop them an e-mail as well and let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Lads, I paid for the €99.99 season pass today to catch a few games over the season to compliment my NFL Gamepass (football heaven :D) and have the same problems.

I didn't have this last season so thought that the tiny picture was the norm, sent them off a harshly worded email and got a pretty immediate response. One of their main content providers or something or other is borked at the minute so games from the 2-4th of September are unavailable is what I was told. They did say they would be happy to refund which I pretty much demanded from them!! If the quality is better though I will probably keep it for my football fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,213 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

PhotogTom wrote: »
    Yep same thing I'm getting. Tried on several computers and browsers with same results. Also, when I click on the full screen - it comes through with really bad quality. Same for you?
    If you can, let me know what they come back to you with. I'll drop them an e-mail as well and let you know.

Yes, it's unwatchable in full screen. Really poor quality picture.

I'll post my email correspondence up here when they (if they :rolleyes:) come back to me.
    Vikings wrote: »
    Lads, I paid for the €99.99 season pass today to catch a few games over the season to compliment my NFL Gamepass (football heaven :D) and have the same problems.

I didn't have this last season so thought that the tiny picture was the norm, sent them off a harshly worded email and got a pretty immediate response. One of their main content providers or something or other is borked at the minute so games from the 2-4th of September are unavailable is what I was told. They did say they would be happy to refund which I pretty much demanded from them!! If the quality is better though I will probably keep it for my football fix.

Well that's good news tbh, and pretty much what I was expecting. Have not had problems previously and have been subscribing to this service non stop since 2008.

Still haven't received a response from their support though, but to be honest next week is a much bigger one schedule wise so if it sorts by then I'll be happy enough. Otherwise it will be refund time (and a scratch of the head!).

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭PhotogTom

Got my response from Customer Service - I'd say somebody at ESPN is sweating it today.

"Dear subscriber,

We apologize for issues surrounding college football live game video delivery. Due to technical issues with one of our major content delivery network partners, it is not anticipated that any of the NCAA football games will be available within the ESPN Player today. Every effort is being made to restore college football games to your service.

Regards,

ESPNPlayer Support"

Just confirms that they are having issues. No real timeframe for a fix and no offer of compensation.

I've asked them for a free month to be added to my monthly pass. I'll let you know what they come back with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement