Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EPSN Free Sept 10-13 on Sky, UPC (9 live/full college football games!)

Options
  • 04-09-2010 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭

All ESPN channels (including the HD variants!) will be free from September 10th to 13th, so it's not just american football on offer, but this is an american football forum after all..!

For me (and anyone else who doesn't have ESPN regularly, for that matter!) this creates some welcome problems - there's a full selection of College Football on next weekend, starting with the Auburn @ Mississippi State match that overlaps with the pretty awesome NFL season opener between the Vikings and the Saints.

From what I gather, it switches back at 6am Monday morning - so no free MNF to kick off the season but in all fairness we haven't been getting too much bad news on the games front lately!

From tallying it myself, this looks like what's on offer in terms of football games:

EDIT: 11:00am Friday, Sept. 10: Auburn @ Mississippi State (Defered coverage)

12:30am Saturday, Sept. 11: West Virginia @ Marshall

3:00am Saturday, Sept. 11: UTEP @ Houston

5:00pm Saturday, Sept. 11: Georgia @ South Carolina

8:30pm Saturday, Sept. 11: Miami @ Ohio State

12:00am Sunday Sept. 12: Penn State @Alabama

3:30am Sunday Sept. 12: Stanford @ UCLA

7:00am Sunday Sept. 12: Folrida State @ Oklahoma (Deferred coverage)

12:00pm Sunday Sept. 12: Oregon @ Tennesse (Deferred coverage)

And there's college analysis shows on throughout all the days and there's even the live NFL Countdown show on Sunday afternoon. Phew! To be exact, it's free from 6am Friday to 6am Monday.

Imagine if someone told you last weekend we'd end up having SNF, Notre Dame live games on Eurosport and an enitre college football weekend added to the schedule! My time is going to be completely monopolised next weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I thought there'd at least be some reaction, but for my own ego and for the sake of making sure people are aware of this I'll bump it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

any link to where it says this?

kev_s88 wrote: »
    any link to where it says this?

Love your faith! http://www.digitalspy.com/broadcasting/news/a271664/espn-to-offer-free-weekend.html

And to that, the Auburn @ Mississippi State game won't be live because the free weekend begins at 6am Friday. There's a deferred showing on Friday, so if you want to see it it'll still be available. I'd also assume that you could record anything on ESPN this week on your Sky+ and it will be viewable for the free weekend if the whole system works as I remember it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭NeirBot

Been watching the NFL for a few years but have never really seen any college football, could you recommend a game or two that might be worth watching/recording?

Also +1 on the opening game, Vikings vs Saints!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

NeirBot wrote: »
    Been watching the NFL for a few years but have never really seen any college football, could you recommend a game or two that might be worth watching/recording?

Saturday 11 September 2010:
    Michigan at Notre Dame
    Penn State at Alabama
    Virginia at USC
    NeirBot wrote: »
    Also +1 on the opening game, Vikings vs Saints!!
    May be one of the best NFL games this season.

• Advertisement

Michigan @ Notre Dame is on Eurosport 2, it should be said!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

Saturday 11 September 2010:
    Michigan at Notre Dame
    Penn State at Alabama
    Virginia at USC

May be one of the best NFL games this season.

No Miami/Ohio St?? Should be a good one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

bobby wade wrote: »
    No Miami/Ohio St?? Should be a good one
    Methinks it will be one-sided, with the Buckeyes crushing Miami, but who knows this early in the season?

Looks like it's just ESPN and not ESPN America that's free, which is totally bizarre given they're sold as a package. Disappointing, but at least we have the ND game to console ourselves with!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Oregon vs Tennessee is on at the moment :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭stevemac

college football is bad. Smaller, slower, less skilful players from the little bit that i saw. Really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Alabama/Penn was a dinger, Trent Richardson is a truck.

First 3/4 of Oregon/Ten was super, they ran away with it after that though.

stevemac wrote: »
    college football is bad. Smaller, slower, less skilful players from the little bit that i saw. Really bad.

Urgh, I don't even want to touch this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

stevemac wrote: »

Where do you think the guys in the Pros come from?

Hate the way folk compare the quality of College ball to the Pros. And how can you form any proper opinion on the bit in bold. :rolleyes:

Advertisement