Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Maths 2011

Options
  • 04-09-2010 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

I need to do honours maths for my leaving cert. I need the points for my college course. I did pretty well last year and as the year was nearly over i improved but sadly fell down in the summer test. Im not the only one. Without knowing i came back last week and found myseld in pass. Me and a few others talked to the 2nd principal and she didnt like the idea ( all about the national average :mad: ). Anyway now i want to know is it possible to get a C, i dont want an A1 beacuse i know i wont get it. I got 25 in the summer test and i did a good bit of maths over the summer on exam papers and the basics...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Define falling down in the summer test. Was it just a bad day where nothing fell into place for you although you had improved and started doing well towards the end, or did you genuinely not get the stuff? That is a very poorly worded question on my part, but you know what I mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

lemansky wrote: »
    Define falling down in the summer test. Was it just a bad day where nothing fell into place for you although you had improved and started doing well towards the end, or did you genuinely not get the stuff? That is a very poorly worded question on my part, but you know what I mean!

The teacher was dreadful becuase she couldnt control the class, then all of them god put into honours because they understood what she was doing. I had a teacher like that for the jc and had to get grinds to help me get my C. I found the start of the year overwhelming like most do. It takes me longer than normal to understand things but i learn by doing. I was doing ok up on till Christmas then i went away on holidays. By the time i came back i was pretty much drowning so i got grind to help me catch up on what i missed. Then i was ok, because i was able to do the work i could before and starting passing tests. The highest test i got was 66% which i was happy with because my friend (who got an A in the JC) got less than me. Then we were told what sections to cover for the summer test and that they would be exam papers so thats what i did. Then on the day i literally had a heart attack when nearly nothing i covered cam up! 25% isnt good but the way i look at it is that if i know another 15% i can pass or 30% to get my C

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

It would take a huge amount of work and some grinds probably wouldn't go astray either. Honours maths is a time-consuming subject, as you probably already know, but it'd be even moreso with the extra work to do to get you up to your required grade.

How did you get on with tests before the summer test?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Personally, in my experience of Leaving Cert honours maths, I failed nearly every class text and house exam, including the mocks. I got grinds in the institute in 6th year and I started sort of understanding everything. I spent most of 6th year studying just maths and putting little to no time into my 8 other subjects, still continuing to fail, some results even being below 10%.

I walked out with a C3 in higher level maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

Check out studentxpress.ie for past papers (back to 1996) with solutions. There are a few very slick methods given by the people who run it and I found it more useful than flicking through exam papers.

If you have worked over the summer, you definitely have the motivation. That's a good start. If you're getting grinds and putting in hard work, and still running into problems, I would say that you need to really scrutinise 'the basics'.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/ This guy has 'college algebra', and many other subjects under his 'class notes' section. Much of it is LC standard so you definitely might find alternate explanations to those in the book handy here, at least to get the core ideas. It can be a bit long winded, though, so check out..

http://www.youtube.com/user/khanacademy

This guy! Salman Khan is a lifesaver and a true philanthropist, if you ask me. He has videos on all of the sciences, Calculus, Algebra, Probability and the most basic of concepts. He explains quite well and imo could easily supplement any teacher or grinds teacher, no matter how good they are.

Aside from all of these tools, I would echo one of the above comments in asking where you think your difficulties actually stem from. Is it from the way the book explains it? Do you find it hard to grasp concepts, or to apply them to the various situations you are faced with in the tougher questions?

I say use all the help and resources you can, identify your difficulties and work at it. It'll be time consuming and frustrating at times, but at least you'll know that you did your best. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

JamesJB wrote: »
    Check out studentxpress.ie for past papers (back to 1996) with solutions. There are a few very slick methods given by the people who run it and I found it more useful than flicking through exam papers.

If you have worked over the summer, you definitely have the motivation. That's a good start. If you're getting grinds and putting in hard work, and still running into problems, I would say that you need to really scrutinise 'the basics'.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/ This guy has 'college algebra', and many other subjects under his 'class notes' section. Much of it is LC standard so you definitely might find alternate explanations to those in the book handy here, at least to get the core ideas. It can be a bit long winded, though, so check out..

http://www.youtube.com/user/khanacademy

This guy! Salman Khan is a lifesaver and a true philanthropist, if you ask me. He has videos on all of the sciences, Calculus, Algebra, Probability and the most basic of concepts. He explains quite well and imo could easily supplement any teacher or grinds teacher, no matter how good they are.

Aside from all of these tools, I would echo one of the above comments in asking where you think your difficulties actually stem from. Is it from the way the book explains it? Do you find it hard to grasp concepts, or to apply them to the various situations you are faced with in the tougher questions?

I say use all the help and resources you can, identify your difficulties and work at it. It'll be time consuming and frustrating at times, but at least you'll know that you did your best. :cool:

+1

You sound like you have the dedication and ability to do it, so as said above, if you invest enough time and use all the resources available to you, then you'll have a good shot. Sure give HL a shot, you have time on your side.

Advertisement