Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Useful Idiots

Options
  • 04-09-2010 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

This two part documentary on the BBC world service is very interesting and quite pertinent in relation to CT's and skeptics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/documentaries/2010/07/100624_doc_useful_idiots_lenin.shtml

The phrase 'useful idiots', supposedly Lenin’s, refers to Westerners duped into saying good things about bad regimes.

In political jargon it was used to describe Soviet sympathisers in Western countries and the attitude of the Soviet government towards them.

Useful idiots, in a broader sense, refers to Western journalists, travellers and intellectuals who gave their blessing – often with evangelistic fervour – to tyrannies and tyrants, thereby convincing politicians and public that utopias rather than Belsens thrived.

In part one John Sweeney looks at Stalin's Western apologists.

In part two he explores how present day stories of human rights abuses across the world are still rewritten.

Both parts are approx. 22 mins each. George Bernard Shaw fans beware.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Fascinating thanks for posting belongs in politics though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Doesn't belong here (CT) that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭joebucks

Wasn't sure where to post it lads or whether it even deserved its own thread so if ye want me to delete it and post in politics or conspiracy links then no prob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Soveriegn

joebucks wrote: »
    Wasn't sure where to post it lads or whether it even deserved its own thread so if ye want me to delete it and post in politics or conspiracy links then no prob.

Thanks, go on then

I bet you cant..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Well you could ask were those 'useful idiots' being paid to promote propaganda. These days most journalists try to make money instead of seeking the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

profitius wrote: »
    Well you could ask were those 'useful idiots' being paid to promote propaganda. These days most journalists try to make money instead of seeking the truth.

I think youll find 99 % of people will choose money over truth / not selling out / integrity when money is wafted in their face

its human nature - and not essentially a good one

and its why our planet is the way it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭demonspawn

bytey wrote: »
    I think youll find 99 % of people will choose money over truth / not selling out / integrity when money is wafted in their face

its human nature - and not essentially a good one

and its why our planet is the way it is now.

Apparently 65% of people will do anything they're told (including murder) by an authority figure, so no money needed. Check out the Milgram experiment if you don't believe me.

Soveriegn wrote: »
    Thanks, go on then

I bet you cant..

I won't take you up on that bet. However I can delete/edit my original post if it offending you.

I found it to be an interesting docu and one that others interested in conspiracy theories/ governmental chicanery/hidden agendas may be interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You may want to post it in the Politics in a non-CT thread to see what people make of it. But I'll leave it open hear as I'd agree with Joebucks that it does have some roots here.

I'll post it in politics and risk another 7 day ban if you want. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

You could argue that the more ridiculous CTs are useful forms of idiocy so that all CTs are tarred with the same brush. As soon as you mention conspiracy, or theory, or both combined people think lizard men and switch off.

You could argue that the more ridiculous CTs are useful forms of idiocy so that all CTs are tarred with the same brush. As soon as you mention conspiracy, or theory, or both combined people think lizard men and switch off.

Totally agree. It's a classic tactic to spread confusion and subvert legitimate claims of conspiracy.

It's difficult to differentiate between idiots/ useful idiots/ disinformation agents

Who dya reckon are today's useful idiots?

Alex Jones? David Icke? Wikileaks? Noam Chomsky? Jon Ronson?

joebucks wrote: »
    Totally agree. It's a classic tactic to spread confusion and subvert legitimate claims of conspiracy.

It's difficult to differentiate between idiots/ useful idiots/ disinformation agents

Who dya reckon are today's useful idiots?

Alex Jones? David Icke? Wikileaks? Noam Chomsky? Jon Ronson?

Alex Jones is clearly an idiot, not sure how useful he is though. :D

demonspawn wrote: »
    Alex Jones is clearly an idiot, not sure how useful he is though. :D

Yes for sure. At best he is just trying to cash in on the suffering of others. He must make a nice few bob for himself with all the advertising on his site, not to mention dvd/ t-shirt sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭ferguson

demonspawn wrote: »
    Apparently 65% of people will do anything they're told (including murder) by an authority figure, so no money needed. Check out the Milgram experiment if you don't believe me.
    How many people did Milgram persuade to commit murder?

Advertisement