Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Irish place name

Options
  • 03-09-2010 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I may be going slightly off-piste here but I just had a fantastic holiday in the west of Ireland, Connemara and into Mayo. Passing through Westport I notice a new housing development called Cedar Park and it just struck me that the name was very out of keeping with the surroundings. Even if there is a couple of planks of cedar on the exterior of the houses. I will try and avoid any comments on architectural design here.

I know most people don't speak Irish in Westport/Ireland but couldn't they pretend just a little :) by giving appropriate place names. i.e. something to do with the location, region or even country, in Irish or English??

I have no local connections just to clarify. just a comment ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

If they did give the estate an Irish name they'd probably spell it wrong:rolleyes:.

I agree with what your saying though, most of the boom estates have names akin to something you'd hear on Desperate Housewives or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Galway city council did bring in rules stating that new housing estates had to have names in Irish that were reflective of the local surroundings etc As as result most modern estates in Galway don't have an english name. However how relevant the Irish name to the surroundings is probably debatable half the time.

Of course a big chunk of the west of Galway city is officially in the Gaeltacht anyways, but that's due to boundaries not having been revised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

dubhthach wrote: »
    Galway city council did bring in rules stating that new housing estates had to have names in Irish that were reflective of the local surroundings etc As as result most modern estates in Galway don't have an english name. However how relevant the Irish name to the surroundings is probably debatable half the time.

Of course a big chunk of the west of Galway city is officially in the Gaeltacht anyways, but that's due to boundaries not having been revised.

Dublin City Council have that policy too for a few years now, though it was brought in too late for most of the developments in the building boom. The interesting thing is that the policy was challenged after it's implimentation by certain councillors in both Dublin and Galway and both attempts failed. :) Navan Town Council also implimented this policy last November:

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2009/11/11/3992714-all-new-estates-in-navan-must-have-irish-names/

Advertisement